Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

10 hours ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

What like a kind of rustic outdoors Muirton Suite on a hill ??

I stopped using the Muirton Suite a couple of seasons ago.

Waiting 25 minutes to get served for a half hour visit before a match, nowhere to sit or stand without being in the way of folk walking through all lost their appeal a while back.

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Good on you for posting your thoughts by the way, the more new Saints fans on here the better, but I'm kind of feeling a similar view to the two below on this one.  The football has been  great quality, we're on an incredible winning run and we're three points off the top of the league with over a third of the season played.  Genuinely, if that doesn't motivate folk to want to come along to our next match against another form team a point above us then what's the point of it all?

I would like better supporter facilities around the stadium, but that's as much to improve the overall experience as it is to attract new fans.

If folk are St Johnstone supporters, are fairly local and can afford it, I'd expect them to be buzzing about coming along to the kilmarnock game.

That view is fair enough, and I don't disagree with the others either to be honest. In hindsight it's a selfish viewpoint just going on my previous experiences. 

It wouldn't do any harm though, for the club to try and get a few more through the door with some decent advertising. 

Compared to a lot of clubs we've got a tonne of space around the ground it's a shame that we don't do more for the fans in those areas. It could be improved facilities might entice a few more along. Doesn't even have to be anything expensive to begin with, use the space we have and see if fans use it. If they don't then Saints haven't lost anything and they know not to try it again. 

1 minute ago, DundeeSaint said:

That view is fair enough, and I don't disagree with the others either to be honest. In hindsight it's a selfish viewpoint just going on my previous experiences. 

It wouldn't do any harm though, for the club to try and get a few more through the door with some decent advertising. 

Compared to a lot of clubs we've got a tonne of space around the ground it's a shame that we don't do more for the fans in those areas. It could be improved facilities might entice a few more along. Doesn't even have to be anything expensive to begin with, use the space we have and see if fans use it. If they don't then Saints haven't lost anything and they know not to try it again. 

Yes might be worth a try.

I am curious about the social media side of everything though... as RG said, does it actually make a difference? When Ross was doing loads of good stuff; player interviews, match highlights, promotions.. did it actually have a bearing on attendances?

Or does it just serve the purpose of keeping folk connected to what's going on at St Johnstone, they're still in touch with what's  happening, but don't feel a need to go along to a game because there's an absolute stack of better quality games live on tv all week?

If you moved into the city centre in Perth having never explored the city before how do you find out that Saints actually exist. All I'm saying is man a stall for an hour, rather posting pictures of the pitch on Instagram 3 hours before a game. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work but it wouldn't do any harm in actually making people aware that a game is going on. 
The YouTube videos aren't even a huge ask, even Montrose managed to put together a highlights package and all I'm saying is put together 10, 20 second clips. It might do nothing at all but at least there is more content for fans and it might entice a few back. 
Aye I've made excuses for my lack of attendance but I have in the past brought others along to games and left feeling deflated. So why not think of some new ways to try and attract new fans.  

If you've left feeling deflated because Saints played poorly in a particular match, no amount of marketing is going to change that. That's fitba.
That is the mark of a glory hunter and these kind of fans will only attend when it suits them.

St Johnstone is a shite away day. Ground being miles away from the train station makes it an instant fail.
That being said, your club has brilliant for years and it's sad the crowds aren't backing that up. I can't remember the last time the Pars had a home crowd anywhere near the 2000 mark on a Saturday afternoon and we've been pish for over a decade.
Can't argue with you. East End is one of the best away days without doubt.
This is about Saints attracting home fans though.
The people of Perth should be out in force supporting the team, but most can't be arsed or are happier jumping one a bus to go and support the bigot brothers.
The other thing is the amount of fans who do attend who don't actually live in Perth. There's fans from all over the county and beyond there at every home game.
If they stopped going and only the fans who live in Perth attended, our support would be well under 1000. In fact when the subs went out to warm up, the fans could probably all sneak into the dugout.

9 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I am curious about the social media side of everything though... as RG said, does it actually make a difference? When Ross was doing loads of good stuff; player interviews, match highlights, promotions.. did it actually have a bearing on attendances?

Or does it just serve the purpose of keeping folk connected to what's going on at St Johnstone, they're still in touch with what's  happening, but don't feel a need to go along to a game because there's an absolute stack of better quality games live on tv all week?

It would be interesting to try it and see what happens. Anything at all is better than nothing. Even trying to show a personal side of the players could help. 

Even the die hards go through spells of not going/going while pissed off, I've certainly done it over the years. Combination of factors for that though, being skint, having a family and not being in the country being the main ones. Couldn't give a f**k if there's 3 men and their dog watching saints because I'll likely be one of the 3.
No you fucking won't. You'd be the dog.

9 minutes ago, The Marly said:

If you've left feeling deflated because Saints played poorly in a particular match, no amount of marketing is going to change that. That's fitba.
That is the mark of a glory hunter and these kind of fans will only attend when it suits them.

Really? Supporting Saints through the years in the first division, through the Connolly season is the mark of a glory hunter? You really have low standards for glory. 

Aye, who knows. I'm just scunnered of the whole thing, tbh. Spent years getting friend's go try and go, they all claimed they'd start going after the Cup win, and then straight away the same excuses came out. Its draining, so to see people seeming to suggest how easy it would be to increase the support just aggravates me, as none of it works.
Sorry if I've been an arsehole. 
You haven't been an arsehole. For once your posts are valid and make a lot of sense.

There wasn't a better quality game on than Saints last weekend. [emoji16]

I’m definitely in favour of a fan zone outside McDiarmid. Sell Tennents on draft, get some TVs on the go with highlights of Saints goals from all eras, have stalls selling merchandise, have competitions you can enter for prizes, get a jukebox on the go and get the tunes on, do meet and greets with players. I’d be sold.

50 minutes ago, The Marly said:
2 hours ago, tree house tam said:
Even the die hards go through spells of not going/going while pissed off, I've certainly done it over the years. Combination of factors for that though, being skint, having a family and not being in the country being the main ones. Couldn't give a f**k if there's 3 men and their dog watching saints because I'll likely be one of the 3.

No you fucking won't. You'd be the dog.

Or inside the dog.

33 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I’m definitely in favour of a fan zone outside McDiarmid. Sell Tennents on draft, get some TVs on the go with highlights of Saints goals from all eras, have stalls selling merchandise, have competitions you can enter for prizes, get a jukebox on the go and get the tunes on, do meet and greets with players. I’d be sold.

f**k Tennents,  Innis and Gunn have a brewery in Perth. 

3 hours ago, Crroma said:

What does it matter how many people attend the games? You guys have had and outstanding period of success in the last decade, just enjoy it

It doesn't matter at all in a "look at our great attendances way". 

My only worry would be if there was no improvement at all in home crowds despite playing well and winning, the chairman/ manager will realise there is absolutely nothing that will bring more fans along, and get a dose of the fuckums and lose all ambition for the club.

I don't believe there will continue to be no improvement if we carry on the way we've been playing, I'm optimistic that gradually more locals will come and see what all the fuss is about.  However, if not, I wouldn't blame the manager for not wanting to sign a new contract, and the chairman for limiting spending on players wages to an absolute minimum in future.