Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Standard Scottish response. Throw a pub in that'll keep the simple folks happy. Maybe just maybe the decline in Scottish football attendances is more to do with people having alternatives to "its the weekend, let's get drunk"?

Watching football and drinking lager go hand in hand, chief - you ask most football fans what they like to do on a match day and almost all of them will say “go to the pub.”

DundeeSaint's post resonates with me too, although I've never quite dropped the football in favour of other things. Last season in particular was a real struggle - we were playing woefully both in terms of performances and results - and I was a bit short of cash. Coming up from Glasgow every second week probably doesn't sound like much, but I'm mostly on public transport and the football takes up most of my Saturday. For a long time it was a pretty joyless experience, freezing cold and no atmosphere. Thankfully the football has improved a lot over the course of this calendar year. If we hadn't picked up towards the end of last season, I wouldn't have renewed my season ticket and still very nearly didn't.

Watching football and drinking lager go hand in hand, chief - you ask most football fans what they like to do on a match day and almost all of them will say “go to the pub.”
Its almost as if the football isn't entertaining on its own without alcohol being involved.

That was Alan Main's clean sheet record in 1996/97. He didn't lose a league goal between a 2-0 defeat at Brockville in mid-October (I think the dreadful Peter Fyhr played) and that McGrillen header on Boxing Day. He embarrassing conceded 2 goals against Dundee in his next game; fortunately we scored 7 of our own!
Rhodes was in 1992/93 and his run of 4 games ended in a 2-2 draw at Brockville.
Ok cheers.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

f**k off you student c***s.

Everyone's a student now Tam, can't even do an apprenticeship without going to college. 

Honestly I'm wary of going back to be disappointed again. The Killie game has the makings of being a great one and the way everyone on here has been talking about the way we've been playing lately, I'm tempted. But If my experience is anything to go by, then we'll not turn up. If the club can market the game effectively and encourage more supporters in, then I'd be even more tempted. 

Get a fan area on the astro, use the paint it blue campaign again and as a start get a stall in the city centre to advertise the game. Even a survey with some ideas already thought out and some free text to ask for others with the chance of winning hospitality or a a couple of match tickets, maybe even at a push a half season ticket would help.

Edited by DundeeSaint
spelling

Everyone's a student now Tam, can't even do an apprenticeship without going to college. 

Honestly I'm wary of going back to be disappointed again. The Killie game has the makings of being a great one and the way everyone on here has been talking about the way we've been playing lately, I'm tempted. But If my experience is anything to go by, then we'll not turn up. If the club can market the game effectively and encourage more supporters in, then I'd be even more tempted. 
Get a fan area on the astro, use the paint it blue campaign again and as a start get a stall in the city centre to advertise the game. Even a survey with some ideas already thought out and some free text to ask for others with the chance of winning hospitality or a a couple of match tickets, maybe even at a push a half season ticket would help.

The team are playing well. Can't people just get their arses along and support the team and the club without daft videos on social media? Honestly, as much as I sympathise with folk who have to prioritise tight budgets, folk who clearly can afford to go but choose not to unless they get some sort of metaphorical arse kissing from the club piss me right off.
How the f**k are the backroom staff meant to know whether or not the team will perform well next Saturday?
Instead of waiting to see if the club can encourage more supporters, why not start attending and encourage someone else to come with you?
What the f**k is a stall in the city centre going to achieve?
Jesus fucking Christ, its a football match. Surely people know whether they are likely to enjoy it or not.
Absolutely fed up hearing shite like this.

The team are playing well. Can't people just get their arses along and support the team and the club without daft videos on social media? Honestly, as much as I sympathise with folk who have to prioritise tight budgets, folk who clearly can afford to go but choose not to unless they get some sort of metaphorical arse kissing from the club piss me right off.
How the f**k are the backroom staff meant to know whether or not the team will perform well next Saturday?
Instead of waiting to see if the club can encourage more supporters, why not start attending and encourage someone else to come with you?
Jesus fucking Christ, its a football match. Surely people know whether they are likely to enjoy it or not.

Thought about replying with something similar but may have been out of place commenting in the saints thread but yeah pretty much this.

2 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I don’t think stalls in the city centre is a bad idea to be honest, on any given Saturday how many people in the centre of Perth will even know a game is going on? It’s all very well an Aberdeen fan thinking this is a lot of nonsense, but as a Saints fan you must surely see our marketing is fucking shit? Fair enough, having decent marketing wouldn’t make me more likely to go, but I’m not the target audience, they already have my guaranteed attendance, along with 2000 others, but there’s thousands of lapsed fans around the area, making an effort with them wouldn’t be too much to ask surely? 

Do agree that the performance on big games is a shite excuse though, not as if Tommy or the team deliberately played shite against a very decent Trakai team. 

You think there's grown adults who don't know Saints are playing at 3 on a Saturday? 

Folk will make excuses no matter what. The guy saying he'd go if we put out a YouTube video would have a different excuse within weeks of those videos becoming a regular thing. 

I'm overly harsh, and I've correctly been criticised for that on here, but I've spent the past decade being given the same old excuses from Saints fans who don't go. I find it more annoying that people actively help make excuses for them these days.

42 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Alright young Broon

hellogif.gif.917ad8e5fce0777db940ce5b9bab80eb.gif

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

You think there's grown adults who don't know Saints are playing at 3 on a Saturday? 

Folk will make excuses no matter what. The guy saying he'd go if we put out a YouTube video would have a different excuse within weeks of those videos becoming a regular thing. 

I'm overly harsh, and I've correctly been criticised for that on here, but I've spent the past decade being given the same old excuses from Saints fans who don't go. I find it more annoying that people actively help make excuses for them these days.

If you moved into the city centre in Perth having never explored the city before how do you find out that Saints actually exist. All I'm saying is man a stall for an hour, rather posting pictures of the pitch on Instagram 3 hours before a game. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work but it wouldn't do any harm in actually making people aware that a game is going on. 

The YouTube videos aren't even a huge ask, even Montrose managed to put together a highlights package and all I'm saying is put together 10, 20 second clips. It might do nothing at all but at least there is more content for fans and it might entice a few back. 

Aye I've made excuses for my lack of attendance but I have in the past brought others along to games and left feeling deflated. So why not think of some new ways to try and attract new fans.  

St Johnstone is a shite away day. Ground being miles away from the train station makes it an instant fail.

That being said, your club has brilliant for years and it's sad the crowds aren't backing that up. I can't remember the last time the Pars had a home crowd anywhere near the 2000 mark on a Saturday afternoon and we've been pish for over a decade.

3 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Don’t know they’re playing in Perth, yes. You walk through Perth centre on a Saturday and barring the odd away fan is it that obvious there’s a game being played later on? 

I’m not making excuses for anyone, people can choose to go to the football or they can choose to do other things, they don’t need an excuse for how they want to spend their spare time. But marketing is a thing that businesses spend millions on for a reason, it works. Saints do the square root of f**k all to market their product, and when they do something, such as the family deal, they do very little to advertise it. 

They go around schools and hand out tickets, they hand out tickets around local business's they advertise through the same places, they have huge signs outside the stadium, certainly used to have posters in some shop windows in town, they advertise on Instagram and FB by getting fans to share posts, they advertised season tickets on TAY FM, they sell hospitality tickets through raffles, they give discount hopsitality tickets to local companies.

So that's schoolkids, local workers, local radio listeners and social media friend's of supporters they're "advertising" too. I doubt a stall on town on a Saturday morning, when there's about seven blokes in GAME, will help any.

YouTube highlights are a most, but again, who's going to come regularly to games based on what they've seen on a highlights package?

7 minutes ago, DundeeSaint said:

Aye I've made excuses for my lack of attendance but I have in the past brought others along to games and left feeling deflated. So why not think of some new ways to try and attract new fans.  

This will sound hugely harsh, but what the f**k can they actually do if you're going to walk away for years when you see one poor game?

Every club on the planet will have demoralizing games, or games where they're just plain shite, if you just give up the moment that happens then you'll never, ever, be a regular and you'll never get the unexpected highs that come with going regularly.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This will sound hugely harsh, but what the f**k can they actually do if you're going to walk away for years when you see one poor game?

Every club on the planet will have demoralizing games, or games where they're just plain shite, if you just give up the moment that happens then you'll never, ever, be a regular and you'll never get the unexpected highs that come with going regularly.

It's not like when my season ticket ended I'd saw one bad game and thought "right that's me off". It was over a period of time and the Premier league was just boring, along with other factors like playing football myself. 

At the moment I still get the unexpected highs, I can read match reports, people on here recounting the games, some highlights packages, and some interviews. 

Just for me, and I might be the only one that thinks this and if so fair enough, if the club did more like making the area around the ground a bit more buzzing before a game then it would help. 

It's not even like I've stopped going to watch football, I've been to lower league games. In the away end at tannadice listening to Ayr fans hurl abuse at Cammy Bell for 90 minutes. The difference there was I paid £10, got an atmosphere and a game with decent football. 

I've been to Saints pre-season games over the last few years and enjoyed them too. The difference is heading there now is a bit souless and it wouldn't even matter if I brought all my Dundee supporting mates along with me. 

You're right in that there isn't a whole lot the club can do in my personal case. But they could at least try and get new fans along. 

Even the die hards go through spells of not going/going while pissed off, I've certainly done it over the years. Combination of factors for that though, being skint, having a family and not being in the country being the main ones. Couldn't give a f**k if there's 3 men and their dog watching saints because I'll likely be one of the 3.

23 minutes ago, DundeeSaint said:

It's not like when my season ticket ended I'd saw one bad game and thought "right that's me off". It was over a period of time and the Premier league was just boring, along with other factors like playing football myself. 

At the moment I still get the unexpected highs, I can read match reports, people on here recounting the games, some highlights packages, and some interviews. 

Just for me, and I might be the only one that thinks this and if so fair enough, if the club did more like making the area around the ground a bit more buzzing before a game then it would help. 

It's not even like I've stopped going to watch football, I've been to lower league games. In the away end at tannadice listening to Ayr fans hurl abuse at Cammy Bell for 90 minutes. The difference there was I paid £10, got an atmosphere and a game with decent football. 

I've been to Saints pre-season games over the last few years and enjoyed them too. The difference is heading there now is a bit souless and it wouldn't even matter if I brought all my Dundee supporting mates along with me. 

You're right in that there isn't a whole lot the club can do in my personal case. But they could at least try and get new fans along. 

Aye, who knows. I'm just scunnered of the whole thing, tbh. Spent years getting friend's go try and go, they all claimed they'd start going after the Cup win, and then straight away the same excuses came out. Its draining, so to see people seeming to suggest how easy it would be to increase the support just aggravates me, as none of it works.

Sorry if I've been an arsehole. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, who knows. I'm just scunnered of the whole thing, tbh. Spent years getting friend's go try and go, they all claimed they'd start going after the Cup win, and then straight away the same excuses came out. Its draining, so to see people seeming to suggest how easy it would be to increase the support just aggravates me, as none of it works.

Sorry if I've been an arsehole. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's easy at all. It's just they don't seem to be trying anything at all. 

Even just trying to ask the fans for some ideas wouldn't hurt. I'd say everyone has a right to be annoyed with me coming along out of the blue and offering suggestions especially since I haven't been consistently attending in a long time and I probably won't be able to (consistently at least) any time soon. 

5 hours ago, DundeeSaint said:

Good on you for posting your thoughts by the way, the more new Saints fans on here the better, but I'm kind of feeling a similar view to the two below on this one.  The football has been  great quality, we're on an incredible winning run and we're three points off the top of the league with over a third of the season played.  Genuinely, if that doesn't motivate folk to want to come along to our next match against another form team a point above us then what's the point of it all?

I would like better supporter facilities around the stadium, but that's as much to improve the overall experience as it is to attract new fans.

If folk are St Johnstone supporters, are fairly local and can afford it, I'd expect them to be buzzing about coming along to the kilmarnock game.

2 hours ago, The Marly said:

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said: