Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

8 minutes ago, Stelling said:

The club should be surveying fans every year during the close season and questions like this should be part of it.

They should know everything about their customers but they don't, St Johnstone isn't run like a proper business and it's all pretty amateurish tbh. But to change it needs investment and the right staff, I'm not sure the spoon fed Sparky has the minerals for such a task.

4 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Finishing 4th and qualifying for Europe = “a fucking dreadful season”? Come on Random.

It was. We scored 34 league goals all season and away games regularly seen us struggle to get a single shot on target.

We never scored more than two goals in a game all season and only scored more than one eight times. We didn't score in 12.

I can half understand why folk who'd maybe been caught up in the hype and Who decided to try a game that season didn't bother returning.

Edited by RandomGuy.

A very minor point but McDiarmid is also a bit of a pain to get to with no decent pubs around.

There’s nothing to do around McDiarmid and the area doesn’t inspire. It’s at least a 40 minute walk from the city centre and there’s no pubs to drop into along the way. Bit of pilgrimage really.

Just now, G_Man1985 said:

Have you asked why don't they go ?

Pricing at your club for tickets is great compared to the rest of the league. Constantly doing well. Could maybe understand if yer team was fighting relegation all the time but this isn't the case.
For me at Dundee ( way off topic eh ken ) if the price goes up for season tickets I won't be renewing as it's too expensive.

I know why they don’t go. Work, play football, live away from Perth, Celtic fan, Livingston fan. A variety of reasons.

4 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

That season had Luzern away and home and Aberdeen away on the last day of the season, three contenders for top ten Saints games I’ve attended. 

We also won at Parkhead, Tannadice, Dens and were unbeaten after the split. 

‘Dreadful’. Do me a favour. 

It was a slog. Aberdeen game was amazing, aye, but you've picked out six games from a 45 game season there, the vast majority of games are some of the worst I've ever witnessed. I vaguely remember a run of four or five games where we averaged one shot on target per match.

Was in September. 

2-0 loss to Dundee, 0 shots on target.

2-1 loss to ICT, 1 shot on target which was a penalty.

2-0  to United, 1 shot on target.

2-1 loss to St Mirren, 1 shot on target.

That's consecutive games.

It was dire stuff, and easily forgettable.

Last season was the least games I’ve gone to in years (7). I’ve been to two this season (Hibs x2) and will be at Pitoddrie and potentially Hearts next month. I stay in Aberdeen now & have two children under 4. I’d genuinely say that my interest in Saints has almost never been as much, it’s just not feasible to attend as much. When my Boys are a little older I’d definitely take the club up on the family offer, assuming it’s still an option.

37 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

So play football they find a priority over the team they support? That's fair enough.
Me personally I'd play football on a different day:-).

However the issue with these people is not pricing.

Majority of people I know who are not going back to dens is to do with pricing and shite football. But more so the pricing

Juniors and Ammies are played on a Saturday afternoon, it’s not really a case of ‘picking a different day’.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

They should know everything about their customers but they don't, St Johnstone isn't run like a proper business and it's all pretty amateurish tbh. But to change it needs investment and the right staff, I'm not sure the spoon fed Sparky has the minerals for such a task.

They just don't reach out enough to ask. Picking super fans for focus groups or setting up supporters forums will get you so far, because of course you have to keep the regulars happy, but they're not the ones the club really need to focus on. Time should be spent finding out how to turn Mr 5-games-a-season into Mr 8-games-a-season and finding out why lapsed fans just don't bother turning up at all anymore. They won't find those answers by asking around the stadium, they need to open up all channels and be prepared to search for the constructive answers in amongst the "buy some decent playurz" stuff that will predictably come from the banter brigade.

There is one main reason that our crowds are suffering - the club has done absolutely nothing to try and get people to come. The family deal is arguably the best deal in Scottish football, yet what do they do to try and sell it to people that aren’t looking for it? You walk around Perth and see no mention of St Johnstone.

What are the club doing to engage with schools? What about the college / uni thing which is literally 2 mins along the road? What about any of the towns and villages north or Perth? 

Ross’ replacement seems to be an imposter as there’s been zero original or exciting content since he started. We’ve had some shoutouts to sponsors on twitter, a really shite #decadeofachievement thing (can’t really call it a marketing campaign or anything as it was really bad), a magazine (which would have been a shit idea 10/15 years ago) and nothing more than the usual post match interviews and a few ill-informed articles. Does this guy actually have any ideas? What is his marketing background? Is his creative freedom being restricted (I doubt this since Ross was so innovative).

Engagement on social media is huge, we have 27k people “Like” the club on Facebook. 33k followers on Twitter. 7k followers on Instagram. What are we doing to entice these people to engage with the club? f**k all. Our social media game is boring and predictable. In Tony Watt we have a guy who is very active on social media and interacts with fans of our club, other clubs, players etc. Surely there’s plenty of things we can be doing there! 

The people who run the club have got completely complacent and it seems there’s nobody with any fresh or positive ideas since Ross left. The cost of getting one or two people in who can run marketing campaigns, create exciting online content, increase engagement must be minuscule in comparison to the playing budget. 

Bit of a rant here but f**k me it’s infuriating to see the amount of missed opportunity by our club and the blame lying with lapsed fans or apathy of people from Perth when there’s f**k all being done by St Johnstone. (Out with our exciting new magazine!)

3 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

A very minor point but McDiarmid is also a bit of a pain to get to with no decent pubs around.

3 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

There’s nothing to do around McDiarmid and the area doesn’t inspire. It’s at least a 40 minute walk from the city centre and there’s no pubs to drop into along the way. Bit of pilgrimage really.

I agree with this. It was always fairly dull in terms of lack of pubs/ cafes around, but now they have built that road, cut all the trees down and are developing the area across the bypass, it's a horrible busy part of town. The stadium is like an island with cars surrounding it.  Although not a lot to do round about McDiarmid, it used to at least feel a welcoming place with good views out to the west, but now thats completely gone and its like one of those new grounds in an industrial park.  (This is not really relevant to the lack of crowd chat, just a general observation).

For the players having to train at the back of the East Stand, it must feel like they're in a zoo with all the traffic passing by staring at them. I hope the club re-plant loads of trees round the site to enclose it a bit.

At the back of the farm on the hill above the training pitches, there's a decent sized bit of ground that's all overgrown with bushes etc, that I thought would be a good location for the club to attempt to buy and develop as a supporters area. Nothing too fancy, just a covered area and places for supporters to sit; pop up food/ coffee/ beer stalls. Just to provide something in the area for pre-match that didn't have to make money through the week but the club would benefit from on a matchday.

I think we can all agree on my amazing idea here. What we need to do is sell all the land at McDiarmid to a supermarket or other developer, then get the city hall for free off the council, knock it down and build a resplendent city centre stadium in its place. Get the town and the cafe quarter absolutely buzzing for the Super Js. Pre match pints and nibbles in Monterrey Jacks; post match karaoke in Half a Tanner.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade
Brown and blacks is shite and for wankers

8 hours ago, Goran said:

Have Motherwells crowds risen since they went full social media crazy?

They have "content" almost daily, have a young group of "ultras" etc. Been in two cup finals lately..

I genuinely don't think the crowds have risen at all.

This problem is not unique to Saints. Spending millions to put in pubs or spending every waking hour tweeting, isn't going to get fans to the ground. 

Main reasons people stop going are moving to a different city for their job, moving to go to Uni, or starting a family. All three are almost impossible to prevent, and three see people slowly lose interest in attending football full stop, and no matter what you won't get them back (until they move back/kids grow up).

We started with a small base and lose these type of people yearly, only way to combat it is to get the next generation to come before they reach these stages too. The club have a Junior club where players visit, have table football in the family stand with players going in there, offer the chance to be a mascot for free etc.

Like it or not, but spending time trying to attract folk over 30 isn't he priority.