Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

It may have but him behind Watt with Danny and Drey either side is definitely worth a shot

That would be a really exciting line up, would be great to see that against some of the other diddy teams. Agree with others though, I don't think it's ever going to happen now sadly.

People wax lyrical about the quality of the English championship but Nydam looks far too lightweight in our league which is less physical and probably a bit slower than he should be used to. It's almost like our league is better than it's given credit for.

6 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

This is the most frustrating and annoying thing about the whole situation. Wasted a big wage (for us) and 18 months of the lads career, purely on guessing that cos he was wee and skilful he must be a wide player.

Surely you don't mean this Paulo?  Scougall was no unknown signed on a mates say so like Adam Morgan.  Tommy had tracked Scougall for a while and had tried to previously sign him.  Do you genuinely believe Tommy and nobody else at Saints knew so little about him they basically signed him blind with Steve being happy to sanction the presumably huge wages? If that was the case then none of them should be in a job. Sometimes a move just doesn't work out and this appears to be one of them from what little we know.

7 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

This is the most frustrating and annoying thing about the whole situation. Wasted a big wage (for us) and 18 months of the lads career, purely on guessing that cos he was wee and skilful he must be a wide player.

Yup, he's used him exactly like he used Swanson, as if he expected a like for like player when that was never going to be the case.

Bemuses me that Scougalls last start was against Falkirk, where he scored the winner, since then he's played one half hour against QOS, then two other appearances that total ten minutes, and now he doesn't even make the bench.

It seems excessively harsh considering how patient he's been with others.

4 hours ago, 7-2 said:

Surely you don't mean this Paulo?  Scougall was no unknown signed on a mates say so like Adam Morgan.  Tommy had tracked Scougall for a while and had tried to previously sign him.  Do you genuinely believe Tommy and nobody else at Saints knew so little about him they basically signed him blind with Steve being happy to sanction the presumably huge wages? If that was the case then none of them should be in a job. Sometimes a move just doesn't work out and this appears to be one of them from what little we know.

No I was probably being way over the top, and the way you describe it is likely to be far closer to the truth .. sometimes a move just doesn't work out.

Im also guilty of reading stuff folk have posted on WAP about there being a fall out and Scougall being told he's away in January and believing it. I have no idea what's going on.

If there has been a fall out I'll find it all hugely frustrating. I remember when Levein was Scotland manager and he never picked Steven Fletcher as they'd had a wee tiff. We had f**k all up front at the time and he was the best of a bad bunch and yet was never involved. I feel you're a manager.. as much of a nightmare as it can be, dealing with personalities and issues is part of the job. Don't take the hump and keep him out the picture; call him in, give him a bollocking then move on and get on with it.  Luckily at Saints we've not had too many of these fall outs over the years.

I'm not saying Scougall should be a guaranteed starter, but I am surprised he's deemed not good enough for a place on the bench.

3 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Scougall coming in doesn’t address the issue in the centre of the park though, it’s who plays next to Davidson that’s still an issue.

Agreed. It's the issue everyone's highlighted all summer. 

I personally think we've looked better when Liam Craig has been in there. He's the one who is quite happy to sit and protect the back four, whereas the other options seem to prefer pushing forward.

3 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Scougall coming in doesn’t address the issue in the centre of the park though, it’s who plays next to Davidson that’s still an issue. Watt and McMillan have been working well together as a partnership and I don’t necessarily think taking McMillan out for Scougall would strengthen us, even though the thought of #swougall is very sexy. 

And am I missing something with regards to Nydam? He’s played 33 minutes away at Ibrox when we were already 3-0 down and 11 minutes away at Hamilton. Doesn’t seem like a big enough sample to write him off surely? 

Nydam can’t break into a midfield currently missing our best midfielder. If he was here until the end of the season he might grow into the role and find a place in the team but I think he’ll find it difficult with only 3 months left on his loan deal. In Wright’s shoes I’d be more inclined to play the guys here longer term and hope they gel. 

I think he is too lightweight to play the shape we’re currently playing. If we’re playing a compact midfield 3 he might be able to compete but in a 2 with 2 wingers we’d be horrendously exposed. It’s only 44 minutes of football but I don’t think he’s the kind of player we change the shape for.  Imagine him up against the likes of Haring and Lee on Saturday. He’d have been ragdolled. 

For this one I would bring Anderson in and go with a back three..Foster and Tanser are both effective as wing backs  getting forward and putting good crosses in.A midfield of Craig,Callachan and Wright with Swanson playing behind Watt would give us a more solid structure and still have plenty attacking options.We could play Alston or Wotherspoon instead of Wright but Wright has real pace and works hard so I reckon that he could play on the right of a central three.Also he links well with foster.

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

17 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

No I was probably being way over the top, and the way you describe it is likely to be far closer to the truth .. sometimes a move just doesn't work out.

Im also guilty of reading stuff folk have posted on WAP about there being a fall out and Scougall being told he's away in January and believing it. I have no idea what's going on.

If there has been a fall out I'll find it all hugely frustrating. I remember when Levein was Scotland manager and he never picked Steven Fletcher as they'd had a wee tiff. We had f**k all up front at the time and he was the best of a bad bunch and yet was never involved. I feel you're a manager.. as much of a nightmare as it can be, dealing with personalities and issues is part of the job. Don't take the hump and keep him out the picture; call him in, give him a bollocking then move on and get on with it.  Luckily at Saints we've not had too many of these fall outs over the years.

I'm not saying Scougall should be a guaranteed starter, but I am surprised he's deemed not good enough for a place on the bench.

GIven what we know, which is basically nothing, what's on WAP would make more sense than some of the made up crap on here. You're right in that it's strange he's not even on the bench and that adds more credence to it being a behind the scenes issue rather than a playing one imho. I take it he's fully over his injuries from last season as we'd surely be told if he was struggling for full fitness. It's disappointing the move apparently hasn't worked out and we can only live in hope whatever it is magically resolves itself.

Maybe he's started a relationship with Gary and the two of them have run away to open a beach bar in Ibiza.

Edited by 7-2

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Gary winged that job didn't he?

The more I think about it the more I'd play Scougall beside Muzz, certainly worth a shot, surely can't be worse than Craig, Alston or Callachan. Oh aye, and get big Liam in at centre back, Shaughnessy is weak as f**k.

Scougall is far too lightweight to play in the centre of midfield