Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

7 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Stevie May shagged @tree house tam‘s bird, was the most pivotal player in winning Saints their first ever cup and scored three times for us in Europe. Wright and O’Boyle (gaffer) might have been better players, but twenty years from now Stevie May will be remembered more fondly, and quite rightly. One of the most important figures in our clubs history. 

Deal with it.

8EF23D11-62DC-4627-AAB5-BA27A2196A03.gif

My burd doesn't go with Fife minks, so she tells me.

Stevie May was great that year, no doubts.

For a VERY limited player.

May was all about power, opportunity and being able and confidant to shoot from anywhere. Tam’s right he wasn’t as talented as a Scotland, Sandaza or dare I say Sheridan, but he was just as lethal when allowed to play.

26 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Stevie May shagged @tree house tam‘s bird, was the most pivotal player in winning Saints their first ever cup and scored three times for us in Europe. Wright and O’Boyle (gaffer) might have been better players, but twenty years from now Stevie May will be remembered more fondly, and quite rightly. One of the most important figures in our clubs history. 

Deal with it.

Not for me Alí.  He was great that season, and his pinnacle was that brilliant semi final at Ibrox.

Mackay, Anderson, Mannus, Maclean and Millar from that era are all bigger club legends for me.

58 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Deal with it.

Gif spoiled by that utter c*nt McDonald.

Wage thief of the highest order.

When we got relegated and he left (killie?), we did really well in getting O'Boyle in as a replacement, another very talented player, though I wouldn't say in Wright's class. A shame the way O'Boyle's Saints career ended; stupid, but probably loads of footballers doing the same thing on nights out at the time.

Wright didn’t leave immediately upon relegation. He had a bad injury sustained in 93/94 season (against Hibs at home am sure) so was part of the same squad as O’Boyle in 94/95. Think they only played together no more than a couple of times though, both scoring in win against Stranraer (Peter Noren got the other?). Wright left for Killie for £340k soon after, pretty good business looking back given his injury issue. Obviously he went on to be a legend there and no real surprise as a cracking striker, real class about him.

O’Boyle probably my favourite ever Saints player, loved him. Always thought he could play at much higher level. Sad how it ended but was great watching him every week.

Stanic was a really classy player, properly cultured footballer and a really appreciated signing at the time given the utter dross we endured in years before his arrival. But I’d have both Davidson and Easton ahead of him at left back. McInnes certainly wasn’t keen and we essentially went the league winning season without a proper left back, Liam Craig handling playing out of position with no complaint

28 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Wright didn’t leave immediately upon relegation. He had a bad injury sustained in 93/94 season (against Hibs at home am sure) so was part of the same squad as O’Boyle in 94/95. Think they only played together no more than a couple of times though, both scoring in win against Stranraer (Peter Noren got the other?). Wright left for Killie for £340k soon after, pretty good business looking back given his injury issue. Obviously he went on to be a legend there and no real surprise as a cracking striker, real class about him.

Yep. Wright got his first injury that season in the autumn and we signed Billy Dodds and Ian Ferguson. Wright and Dodds played together once in the game you mentioned before he was out for the season. Clearly we'd have stayed up if he'd been fit for probably just an extra month of the campaign.

My squad of 23 would be based purely on ability but I haven't finalised my selection yet. The two right wingers would be Allan Moore and Michael O'Halloran. There is Scotsport highlights of the 0-0 draw with Rangers from our first season up on YouTube and Moore is absolutely unplayable.

You won't regret watching this isn't you haven't before.

59 minutes ago, Costanza said:

O’Boyle probably my favourite ever Saints player, loved him. Always thought he could play at much higher level. Sad how it ended but was great watching him every week.

Yes I wrote it quite lazily in terms of timescale. 

Incredible to think within a period of just a few months, Saints had Paul Wright, Billy Dodds and George O'Boyle on the books. Three top quality strikers.

1 hour ago, The Saintee said:

Gif spoiled by that utter c*nt McDonald.

Wage thief of the highest order.

Am I missing something? Dont see him in it at all..

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Incredible to think within a period of just a few months, Saints had Paul Wright, Billy Dodds and George O'Boyle on the books. Three top quality strikers.

Yet none as decorated as our English international who had played for two European Cup winners...

19 hours ago, Radford said:

Yep. Wright got his first injury that season in the autumn and we signed Billy Dodds and Ian Ferguson. Wright and Dodds played together once in the game you mentioned before he was out for the season. Clearly we'd have stayed up if he'd been fit for probably just an extra month of the campaign.

My squad of 23 would be based purely on ability but I haven't finalised my selection yet. The two right wingers would be Allan Moore and Michael O'Halloran. There is Scotsport highlights of the 0-0 draw with Rangers from our first season up on YouTube and Moore is absolutely unplayable.

Yes that front three of Maskrey, Grant and Moore terrorised every defence in the country for the first half of that season, after destroying the first division the season before.  Just up and at 'me 'em attacking at its finest with two lightning wide men.

Its funny to mention them now, as someone was comparing our current front 3* of Kennedy, Watt and Wright with those three legends at a game just a few weeks back.  Early days for that but was a nice thought. You could certainly see two wide players in Swanson and Wright with Watt in the middle being a real handful for some defences if they click.

* not an out and out three up front as such, but can be similar when attacking.

Edited by PauloPerth

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Fantastic! I was at that game. 

Big Lindsay Hamilton!

I remember him coming to school and letting us take penalties against him. Must've been a charity thing.

He didn't save too many!

7 hours ago, Radford said:

My U12 team were the ballboys that year!! One of my main memories is Moore scoring a hat-trick of headers against Ayr when we won 5-2 - just checked and it was the cup quarter-final as well!

Was this the game when a ballboy (won't name him) passed it back to the Rangers keeper before it was out and they had to do a drop ball?

I don't remember the ballboy moment, but wasn't this the game that led to Souness branding Harry Curran a hammer thrower?

Yep, Kuznetzov was making his debut and went off injured. Harry Curran was one of the least likely hammer throwers ever likely to see!