Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

52 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

I've been asked to write an article for the club on my favourite all time Saints XI with subs and Ando makes it, I guess everyone's team would have their own personal connections etc.

I do however have some players who only played at Muirton Park so would differ from any team posted here.

I had Alan McKillop and Kenny Thomson in my lists, who both played at Muirton.

Steve Maskrey would also make it. He'd be the star man.

And Sammy Johnston would get a mention for centre midfield.

Main was better than Mannus imo.
One of the more difficult calls tbh. Mannus had a two year spell from 2014-2016ish where he was brilliant. Main was probably the better all round keeper although there was the odd mistake. I'd go for Main because he commanded his box a lot better.

Issue with these teams is are you choosing your best or your favourite? If it's the former, think that rules out a few guys mentioned whose best came for us in the lower leagues. Also, maybe guys like Sylla, Hartley and Rhodes get overlooked mainly because they're perceived as being dicks.

Main

MacKay Kernaghan F.Wright Davidson
Morris O'Neil
Swanson MacLean O'Hallaron
May

Subs Mannus, Rhodes, Baltacha, Sylla, Stanic, Davidson, Millar, Dasovic, P.Wright, Sandaza, O'Boyle.

A few interchangeable there. Any two of the midfielders on the bench could have been in. Swanson slightly ahead of Sylla (I'm not pretending he's a right back). I probably really should have Wright over May as well but the memories of the 2014 season probably gives him the advantage.

This is properly tough. Need a bench of about 20 players to accommodate everyone. I'm leaning towards my personal favourites rather than just ability ability

My team would be pretty close to the above.

Main

Mackay Kernaghan Duberry Stanic

Morris Dasovic 

Sylla Hardie Swanson

May

Only 2 Scottish Cup  winners in the starting eleven but I'd probably have other 9 (less Dunne who probably wasn't here long enough) in or around the squad. The likes of Sheerin, Davidson x2, Sandaza, O'boyle etc have a place secured in my heart too.

Diddy 11s should be good banter. You could just about have the entire John Connolly back catalogue but I've tried to be a bit more creative.

Mark Paston

Jordan Tait Rud Vata Benito Kemble Alan Morgan

Alan Mahood David Hannah

David Bagan JP McBride Adam Morgan

Craig Beattie

17 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Saints been nominated for "Club best marketing initiative (non-English Premiership)"

Hmmm.... :blink:

PAINT IT BLUE!

Edited by Kyle

4 hours ago, Radford said:

Definite case to be made for Kevin James to make the squad. Emergency centre forward if nothing else!

I knew that Totten rated Alan McKillop really highly but interesting to see him getting mentioned. What was the injury he suffered?

Can't remember a serious injury putting Alan McKillop him out of the game.  He had a good job and didn't want to go full time IIRC.

If we're all doing line ups then might aswell join in, it's favourites as there's no way I could avoid putting some in and you'd all laugh. 

Mannus

Mackay - Duberry - James - Stanic

Swanson - Hardie - Dasovic - Sheerin

MacLean - O'Boyle

Can probably guess my age :lol:

This is my favourite XI. Position-wise, I've had to improvise slightly in order to fit them all in.

Mannus

Mackay - Duberry - Wright - Stanic

Hasselbaink - Morris - Dasovic - Simao

May - Dobbie

Subs: Main, James, Hardie, O'Halloran, Sheerin, Sandaza, Scotland

Murray Davidson, Mo Sylla, Steven MacLean, George O'Boyle, Danny Swanson, Gary Bollan, Liam Craig,  Tommy Lovenkrands, Peter MacDonald, Steven Milne, Filipe Morais, Darren Sheridan,  Keigan Parker, Collin Samuel and Trialist (Donovan Deekman) will have to settle for reserves football this week. Depending on performances, I'll bring them in for next Saturday's match.

Edited by The Real Saints

51 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Martin Hardie is a weapon, nowhere near my list of favourites, as good as he was for us in that 06/07 season and for periods of the few years after that. 

Hardie made it for me due to the last minute goal in Dumfries, and a game when we first came back up, where he literally got subbed on then scored a free kick with his first touch 

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Personal reasons, mainly him being a fucking shite drunk, picking on wee laddies. 

I'm not a fan either mainly because I've never thought he was that good a player. Also I didn't know about him picking on young guys but I did know one of his ex-girlfriends. 

26 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

I'm not a fan either mainly because I've never thought he was that good a player. Also I didn't know about him picking on young guys but I did know one of his ex-girlfriends. 

Happened a couple of times to folk in Perth. He got layed out outside the Jazzbank for it though so all was good.

Folk choosing Stevie May over O'Boyle or Paul Wright are mental. He's not even close to them football wise.

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Happened a couple of times to folk in Perth. He got layed out outside the Jazzbank for it though so all was good.

Folk choosing Stevie May over O'Boyle or Paul Wright are mental. He's not even close to them football wise.

I don't remember much of either O'Boyle or Wright, certainly not well enough to pick either over May.

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

I don't remember much of either O'Boyle or Wright, certainly not well enough to pick either over May.

George O'Boyle was a cultured footballer, great technique and strong as f**k for his size. Lacked a bit of pace but was still quicker than say, Spoony. Paul Wright was a fucking machine, ugly fucker but what a player.

Stevie May had a good season.

Just now, tree house tam said:

George O'Boyle was a cultured footballer, great technique and strong as f**k for his size. Lacked a bit of pace but was still quicker than say, Spoony. Paul Wright was a fucking machine, ugly fucker but what a player.

Stevie May turned up when I was in my mid twenties, put us through against Rosenborg,  helped us win a cup  and scored 27 goals in a season. Wright left when I was 8 so I can't remember him beyond a couple of goals, George O'Boyle officially left when I was 14 but hadn't played any where near his best for at least a couple of years before that. I swithered between May and Maclean and Sandaza and Scotland probably deserve a mention too, but it's been slim pickins' up top for a lot of my time watching Saints.

Signed up for a P&B account purely to contribute to this. Based on going to my first game in 1993/94 (and being out of the country for the Stark and Connolly eras)…

GK: Main, Mannus, Enckelman

DEF: Mackay, McQuillan, Davidson, Stanic, Kernaghan, Duberry, Griffin, Wright

MF: O’Neil, Dasovic, Jenkinson, Millar, Morris, Sekerlioglu, O’Halloran

FW: Scotland, Sandaza, O’Boyle, May, Maclean

Bang on the money for me Tam on all of the above.

Paul Wright was an incredibly talented striker. His finishing was as good as you'll see, and his first touch and hold up play with his back to goal were phenomenal.  Funny how life's all about timing, cos he'd be in every single Scotland squad if he was playing now.

When we got relegated and he left (killie?), we did really well in getting O'Boyle in as a replacement, another very talented player, though I wouldn't say in Wright's class. A shame the way O'Boyle's Saints career ended; stupid, but probably loads of footballers doing the same thing on nights out at the time.

I'm always shite at this, and it probably changes each time, but here goes:

Main

Mackay   Griffin  Inglis  Davidson

O'Neil  Millar  

O'Halloran Maskrey  Swanson

P Wright

Subs: Mannus, Sylla, Baltacha, Maclean, M Davidson, S Johnston, Roddy

Not happy with the midfield, as I think of John O'Neil as more of a wide midfielder, but I wanted him in..   possibly Dasovic, Kane or Muzz instead.  Maskrey and Swanson interchangeable.  Severe lack of pace on the bench!

There's not a defence in this solar system that could keep out that front 4.