Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, The Saintee said:

I'm still bitter about the summer after the cup win tbqhwy but this transfer window has put Bulletproof in a better light.

Which is a perfectly legitimate complaint. That summer was just ridiculous.

6 hours ago, The Saintee said:

I'm still bitter about the summer after the cup win tbqhwy but this transfer window has put Bulletproof in a better light.

Special mention to the time we qualified for europe in 2012 or 2013 and he spent his radio interview complaining about how much it cost to charter a flight.

14 hours ago, Paris Hilltoon said:

I'm surprised we're now hitting the highest wages in our history. Infact I'm highly sceptical.

In the SPL days I'd have had us shelling out more than now. We paid £125k for JP McBride for gods sake.

No doubt we probably paid out more in those days - I think Steve's more talking about the weekly cost rather than the overall picture. He said that we had 38 or 39 full time professional players at the club last season (which included youngsters and the support staff they have as part of project brave's ridiculously expensive criteria) and mentioned multiple players for what would equate to £2k a week + on a wages. Long gone are the days where we spend £300k on Paul Hartley and the likes but I  think that gap has been bridged somewhat in terms of what we pay in wages.

I'm of the one swallow doesn't make a summer view and sometimes think we've been successful despite Steve, not because of, but he's played a blinder from what I've seen. Despite the financial situation he's authorised an uncharacteristic spending spree then given out the loss making figures without  his usual 'we're all doomed' narrative when announcing profits, calmly pointing to external influences. It's either an epiphany or Gary's working wonders already. Whatever it is, credit where it's due. Well done Mr Chairman. 

David McMillan has started in 3 of our league matches this season. He has scored in 2, played the through ball for Watt to run on and score against Dundee, and had a header saved that led to Alston scoring the rebound at Hamilton.  That's not bad considering we've only scored 5 league goals.

Wright and Kennedy have done well in spells, and very welcome additions to the squad, but I'd like to see both step up with assists.  I think the ball into the box from wide areas hasn't been that great overall so far, often failing to beat the first man.

Are we creating enough chances from open play considering the attacking options we've got?  Can't think of too many Watt's had set up for him and failed to score from.

Just general musings, overall I think our three home matches have been very entertaining.

49 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

David McMillan has started in 3 of our league matches this season. He has scored in 2, played the through ball for Watt to run on and score against Dundee, and had a header saved that led to Alston scoring the rebound at Hamilton.  That's not bad considering we've only scored 5 league goals.

Wright and Kennedy have done well in spells, and very welcome additions to the squad, but I'd like to see both step up with assists.  I think the ball into the box from wide areas hasn't been that great overall so far, often failing to beat the first man.

Are we creating enough chances from open play considering the attacking options we've got?  Can't think of too many Watt's had set up for him and failed to score from.

Just general musings, overall I think our three home matches have been very entertaining.

I've been disappointed in Kennedy, probably won't be long until Swanson replaces him. Think Wright and Foster have a good understanding though. 

If we went 4-5-1 I think I'd rather McMillan as the lone striker than Watt... 

I've been disappointed in Kennedy, probably won't be long until Swanson replaces him. Think Wright and Foster have a good understanding though. 
If we went 4-5-1 I think I'd rather McMillan as the lone striker than Watt... 

I’ve not necessarily been disappointed in Kennedy, but he’s not been as good as he started the last few games. I suspect a Swanson shaped shadow behind him will hopefully spur him on to improve.

5 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Really enjoying our games so far this season.

I think having Kennedy and Wright is enabling us to play through the thirds better. We'll play when we can, go long when we can etc. 

There's no right or wrong way to play but at least there is a variant. It's quite a brave move by Tommy and so far we're being rewarded with an acceptable points per game tally. 

5 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Really enjoying our games so far this season.

I think having Kennedy and Wright is enabling us to play through the thirds better. We'll play when we can, go long when we can etc. 

There's no right or wrong way to play but at least there is a variant. It's quite a brave move by Tommy and so far we're being rewarded with an acceptable points per game tally. 

I agree, and I think both put in a great shift defensively as well. But I feel we've often been in good areas from out wide and struggled with the final ball so far this season.

Its not a huge criticism, but I think a big role of a wide midfielder is to create chances, and it's an area I'd like to see us work on/ improve.

6 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Anybody think that this season will be the last one for Ando?

Could be. He's got the security of a 2 year deal though so could be used as a back up until that contract expires, which I don't think would be the end of the world. On current form there's no chance he's displacing Kerr and Shaughnessy and I reckon Gordon's distribution is a better fit for this team too.

Of the cup winning starters, only Anderson, Wotherspoon and Easton remain and I'd argue all 3 are now starting to fall out of the picture a bit with us, certainly long term.