Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Totten was sacked before I was even one year old, if it was December 92 he left? 
My earliest memory is being a mascot for a 0-0 game at home to Hibs, other memories include some odd games from that period, and then the John Connolly season. 
I wish I'd been born a decade earlier. 

My first game that I remember was Easter Road, we lost 3-0 the season we got relegated. Pretty sure Keigan Parker was sent off.

Also seem to have memories of a 1-0 lose to Dundee with Sara scoring and an abandoned game against Livi in the fog, sure Eugien Dadi was playing.

Remember the Connelly fiasco all to clearly, that at Billy Starks uninspiring spell.

My first game was in 89 against Clydebank with the ancient Gallagher guy in goals for the Bankies. We lost 1-2. 

Obviously there were many other great games to come and we won the league which was f*cking amazing.

Don McVicar:wub:  was my next door neighbour as well.

What a time to be alive that was.

3 hours ago, Widge said:

My first game that I remember was Easter Road, we lost 3-0 the season we got relegated. Pretty sure Keigan Parker was sent off.

Also seem to have memories of a 1-0 lose to Dundee with Sara scoring and an abandoned game against Livi in the fog, sure Eugien Dadi was playing.

Remember the Connelly fiasco all to clearly, that at Billy Starks uninspiring spell.

Ffs widge, surprised you're still a saint.

3 hours ago, The Saintee said:

Don McVicar:wub:  was my next door neighbour as well.

What a time to be alive that was.

Don Mcvicar was a decent footballer but an absolute c**t of a drunk. My happiest moment of meeting a footballer is seeing him put on his arse. 

First game I properly remember was at Muirton in the cup against Aberdeen in 88. I think they helped pay for the segregation fence as it was a total sell out. Fairly sure we had to buy season tickets to get into the Main Stand and I sat next to Mrs Totten!

I think we lost 1-0 to quite a late goal and I distinctly remember Willie Miller being a dick.

16 hours ago, Radford said:

Yeah, we were in the first of their five stands that they built. Those old wooden seats with no legroom.

My first ever away game was at Tannadice in 1990. Saints support was huge with behind the goal and away section of covered terrace absolutely packed. Pretty sure they had a 100% record after 9 or 10 games and we beat them, Inglis and Maskrey scored.

You couldn't help but fall in love with that Totten team.

14 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:
16 hours ago, Radford said:
Yeah, we were in the first of their five stands that they built. Those old wooden seats with no legroom.
My first ever away game was at Tannadice in 1990. Saints support was huge with behind the goal and away section of covered terrace absolutely packed. Pretty sure they had a 100% record after 9 or 10 games and we beat them, Inglis and Maskrey scored.
You couldn't help but fall in love with that Totten team.

Remember this game so clearly. Awesome memory

That 2-1 win was incredible. 

It was our first season back up in the premier league, we were favourites by a mile to go straight back down, and after a poor first 5 games against the ‘weaker’ sides in the league, we went on a run of results that went: Aberdeen (H) 5-0, Celtic ((A) 0-0, Hearts (A) 3-2,  Rangers (H) 0-0, Dundee United (A) 2-1. We were sending shockwaves round Scottish football with baws oot attacking football, and newly promoted teams just never went on runs like that in those days!

We took over 4000 to Tananadice that day, and I remember a lot of the Utd fans I knew from Perth being absolutely blown away by our support. Half the huge steep side terrace and behind one of the goals all blaring out ‘there’s only one team in Tayside’. I think it’s possibly still the biggest support I’ve ever seen us take for an away league match..

Not sure, but did we not lose the next game at home to a st Mirren or Dunfermline or something? If so, typical of Saints! 

6 hours ago, Saigon Raider said:

First game I properly remember was at Muirton in the cup against Aberdeen in 88. I think they helped pay for the segregation fence as it was a total sell out. Fairly sure we had to buy season tickets to get into the Main Stand and I sat next to Mrs Totten!

I think we lost 1-0 to quite a late goal and I distinctly remember Willie Miller being a dick.

That’s right, it was only going to be limited to 5000, but Aberdeen paying for the fence allowed a capacity of 10000.

37 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

That 2-1 win was incredible. 

It was our first season back up in the premier league, we were favourites by a mile to go straight back down, and after a poor first 5 games against the ‘weaker’ sides in the league, we went on a run of results that went: Aberdeen (H) 5-0, Celtic ((A) 0-0, Hearts (A) 3-2,  Rangers (H) 0-0, Dundee United (A) 2-1. We were sending shockwaves round Scottish football with baws oot attacking football, and newly promoted teams just never went on runs like that in those days!

We took over 4000 to Tananadice that day, and I remember a lot of the Utd fans I knew from Perth being absolutely blown away by our support. Half the huge steep side terrace and behind one of the goals all blaring out ‘there’s only one team in Tayside’. I think it’s possibly still the biggest support I’ve ever seen us take for an away league match..

Not sure, but did we not lose the next game at home to a st Mirren or Dunfermline or something? If so, typical of Saints! 

1887.thumb.jpg.826d00322198aa8f398a14b7941d3603.jpg

That the program for the game? Apparently Alan Main started in goal for United. Paddy Connolly, Mixu Paatalenien and Darren Jackson all played for United that day too. 

Next game was a 1-0 loss at home to St Mirren. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

1887.thumb.jpg.826d00322198aa8f398a14b7941d3603.jpg

That the program for the game? Apparently Alan Main started in goal for United. Paddy Connolly, Mixu Paatalenien and Darren Jackson all played for United that day too. 

Next game was a 1-0 loss at home to St Mirren. 

Yes that must be it. Didn't realise it was as late as end of October, as I remember it as a warm day.. maybe it always felt sunny back then!

Thinking about it, it would have been the first game of the second round of fixtures if that makes sense, as the very first game of the season at McDiarmid, the first ever premier fixture at McDiarmid, we lost 3-1 to them if I remember rightly.  We were down 2-1 and they were down to ten men as Main had been sent off, no sub keepers so an outfield player went in goals.. possibly Badger Mckinlay, and we were pressing for an equaliser.  They brought on a 16 year old sub called Christian Dailly who was the up and coming young star at that time, and I think was a striker.. Anyway, he broke from the half way line and smashed it home.

Harry Curran had a screamer disallowed for us at 0-0.  Was a scorching hot day as well. :)

Strange the nonsense you remember, when I can't even remember what I did last week. 

43 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

So with the playing squad cost being in the region of 65k a week, making this the highest weekly cost in the club's history for football operations....

Does that put to bed the notion of "Broons a fucking tight b*****d"?

It should...

Maybe, one decent summer doesn't forgive the years he's hamstrung us in terms of wages and in terms of attracting fans. 

A few bullet points worth noting that have been mentioned on the unofficial twitter. 

- First loss making year for four years, with a loss of £258k, main reason given is the new road around the stadium which has cost the club £400k

- All major stadium works now completed, so that drain on finances is resolved

- Multiple players on six figure basic wages

- Wages will only be maintained at this high point if success on the pitch allows it

- We still have reserves of over £2m

Edited by RandomGuy.

I would have agreed with you in the past, but I think that's pretty unfair on Brown when you see the evidence in front of you. He's sanctioned contracts to pay multiple players  £100k a year basic salary for at least 2 summers now and probably for longer than that and the weekly'football operation' runs at £65k a week, which is much higher than I would have imagined it would be. The chairman has sanctioned moves for Scougall, O'Halloran (albeit short-term - would've been for the full season if Rangers had agreed a loan extension though), McMillan, Watt, Kennedy, Wright, Swanson, Callachan and Nydam in the last year and a bit - all of whom will command pretty decent wages. That's before mentioning the loanees from Fulham and Manchester United and Tanser, who I'd imagine will be on better money now that he's proven himself capable at this level. He's also agreed to pay off Paton and Cummins probably got some cash too. There's talk that we pay good bonuses as well - I dread to think what some of the monthly take away salaries are when you add on the various bonuses the players will get. Wright's moans about budget have disappeared now and you can see why.

Brown has put up with a lot of shit from Wright and the fans (myself included) over the last few years and he can be a bit of a miserable git at times in his interviews but behind closed doors he's clearly shown a lot of ambition. He's managed to retain most of our best players (Scobbie, Swanson the 2nd time round and arguably Maclean are the only ones I can think of that he maybe could've done better with) at the same time as trying to improve the quality of the squad. He also fixed our most successful ever manager up on a 4 year contract in 2015 and we're back to the negotiating table now  to extend that again. The only thing missing is a transfer fee  - I don't think we have ever paid a fee for a first team player with Steve as chairman.

I think the biggest problem Steve needs to shift (and hopefully will if the accounts get a wider audience) is the notion that he's tight and doesn't back the manager.  A bit of PR training for him (which he wouldn't agree to) and a person dedicated to PR and only that at the club would probably go a long way to addressing that. The social media output has improved a lot since Gary has come in (although could and I reckon will still improve) and the signings have brought back a feel good factor at the club for the first time in a while. It could obviously all go to shit but I don't think it's as easy to just blame the chairman as it used to be.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Maybe, one decent summer doesn't forgive the years he's hamstrung us in terms of wages and in terms of attracting fans. 

A few bullet points worth noting that have been mentioned on the unofficial twitter. 

- First loss making year for four years, with a loss of £258k, main reason given is the new road around the stadium which has cost the club £400k

- Wages will only be maintained at this high point if success on the pitch allows it

Has the perceived "Being tight" caused us any detriment on the field? - Generally no it hasn't. The point he's basically meaning if we continue to regress or for example finish 7 every year regardless of expenditure then why spend the money? - it's business. 

What it's actually done is allowed us put money aside when we were doing alright and then use that money now to strengthen the squad to compete with the other side's with bigger budgets who're now improving. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

24 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Has the perceived "Being tight" caused us any detriment on the field? - Generally no it hasn't. The point he's basically meaning if we continue to regress or for example finish 7 every year regardless of expenditure then why spend the money? - it's business. 

What it's actually done is allowed us put money aside when we were doing alright and then use that money now to strengthen the squad to compete with the other side's with bigger budgets who're now improving. 

I'm unconvinced that's not more luck than judgement on Browns part. The season after the cup win he was lucky we had TW as manager, as very few people couldve kept such a low scoring side away from relegation trouble. There's no doubt he's improved, but I'm loathe to start heralding him as the hero of the piece yet. 

How has he "hamstrung us"? During his tenure as chairman we have finished 6th, 3rd, 6th, 4th, 4th, 4th and 8th. We have won the Scottish Cup and qualified for Europe 5 times. He has overseen the most successful period in the club's history, all while keeping the club on a very sound financial keel.
This summer he, along with his manager (Who was appointed by Steve Brown), identified the need for significant investment in the squad and then sanctioned that investment, signing 7 new players many of whom will be on a pretty penny.
Exactly what else do you think the chairman can do?

47 minutes ago, The Marly said:

How has he "hamstrung us"? During his tenure as chairman we have finished 6th, 3rd, 6th, 4th, 4th, 4th and 8th. We have won the Scottish Cup and qualified for Europe 5 times. He has overseen the most successful period in the club's history, all while keeping the club on a very sound financial keel.
This summer he, along with his manager (Who was appointed by Steve Brown), identified the need for significant investment in the squad and then sanctioned that investment, signing 7 new players many of whom will be on a pretty penny.
Exactly what else do you think the chairman can do?

I was always under the impression he'd been pretty restrictive early on with the budget which didn't allow TW to replace ageing players or sold players, or try to improve on what we have. 

Obviously that's looking like it might not all be true, but I'm loathe to mock folk who reckon he's tight based on one good window, in which TW has leverage over him. 

Anyone who doesn't understand that being St Johnstone chairman on a volunteer basis and basically only 3 days a week, while running your own shite and having family to deal with as well, isn't thinking right. It's a fucking hard job with little in the way of rewards and certainly one I wouldn't want to do. Broon has done things wrong, in fact probably a lot wrong but he's got a hell of a lot right. He's also not someone who thrives in the spotlight and doesn't have the gift of the gab but tbh i kind of prefer that to gobshites who try to spin you a line and always have underlying, ulterior motives. Tommy is in the same mould, straight talking, honest folk. I like them.