Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

9 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Really enjoyed that article and for some reason had something in my eye at the end of it.If anyone can turn Tonys talent into fruition its Tommy Wright.Saints have been devoid of such talent since dare i say Johnny Brogan....now i really do have something in my eye

Hadnt really followed Watt's early career and always presumed he had grown up in the Celtic youth system, when in truth his development was very little to do with Celtic.

Its been said a few times, but the goal against Barca probably threw his career completely as suddenly the attention and expectation went off the scale. A lot to handle for a young lad, and was bound to go to his head.

He has been great for us. His all round play, movement and finishing have been better than any other striker we've played against so far. He's much stronger and better in the air than I realised, and his work rate has also been very good; but he's also quite clever with it, and knows when to chase, and when not to run about like a headless chicken. As McCann pointed out, he'll pick his moments to 'cheat' and loiter in space waiting for a turnover in possession.

He's bound to have times when he looks like he can't be arsed, and when things aren't going his way, but then we've got Kane and McMillan who can step in.

Who knows, it might just be playing as one of the bigger fish in a team where he is really appreciated by the manager and supporters, might really suit him.

On 8/30/2018 at 11:42, SaintDougie said:

Wotherspoon is and has always been one of the most frustrating players ever to have played for Saints! On his day he can be absolutely genius on the ball, a joy to watch, edge of your seat moves etc... When it's not his day though it really shows, he'll struggle with the most basic of moves and it appears to get to him. The head lowers and you know this games much of a right off for him.  Credit where credit is due though. he doesn't give up and keeps plugging away until he's inevitably subbed off.

It's a shame really, you can see there is an incredibly skilled player in there screaming to get out and perform on a more consistent basis. Though had that ever been the case he would be playing with a bigger team than the likes of Saints in a bigger league.

In the end Wotherspoon didn't get on the pitch today as we squashed the US Virgin Islands 8-0, Canada's record win.  We decided to give younger players game time along with some solid veterans like Scott Arfield (who absolutely bossed the midfield).  We still have a few more CONCACAF Nations league qualifiers against a selection of diddies (Dominica, French Guianda, and Saint Kitts and Nevis) for Wotherspoon to play in

It seems that Tommy has sent one of his 'weekly' emails out apparently out of the blue - I think this is the first one I've actually received in about a year!

Dear Kyle

After four league games and our progression to the quarter-final of the Betfred Cup, we’re sitting in a healthy position but we won’t be getting carried away. It was important that after securing our first win against Dundee we kicked on against Hamilton and I’m delighted to have come away with three points.

We’ve picked up seven points out of twelve and after losing that opening match against Kilmarnock it has been a good response from the players. We’ve been performing well and apart from one bad 45 minutes at Rugby Park I’ve been delighted with our start.

The end of August also saw the transfer window close and the feedback that I’ve received from many supporters has been extremely positive. There is a real sense of excitement with the business we’ve done this summer, in particular our final signing which saw Danny Swanson return to the club.

The work we’ve done in this window dates all the way back to January when the chairman and I had a meeting about where we wanted to see the club going and how we were going to take things forward.

It was a very positive meeting and once I identified the areas I felt we needed to strengthen the chairman was on board straight away. From the signing of Drey Wright at the beginning of the summer to bringing Danny back here, it’s been an extremely good window.

We’ve brought the age of the squad down significantly over a period of time and we now have a vibrant young squad with pace and mobility throughout the side. Crucially, we have great strength in depth in all positions which will stand us in good stead this season.

I wanted a dressing room where the players could look across from them and realise that if they weren’t performing then they wouldn’t be playing and I think that’s what we’ve got now.

The one signing that surprised a lot of people was Danny coming back here and I’ve got to credit the chairman because the phone call regarding his situation at Hibs came late and he acted very quickly to bring Danny back here.

We’re all delighted to have him back and I think Danny sees this as his home. I feel like I’m the manager he has responded to and I believe I can get the best out of him. The environment here helps him to perform at his very best level.

I’m hoping that the business we’ve done in this window excites the fans and that they come out and support the club and chairman as much as possible.

We’re doing well but we’re not resting on our laurels. The players are back from the international break and we’re hungry to keep our performance levels up and continue our good start.

s.gif

Thank you for your continued support.

He's kind of rehashing old ground  a bit but it's great to see him being so positive again. The whole club has had a shot in the arm this summer with the signings so here's hoping the club are able to harness that enthusiasm and turn it into more bums on seats. If we can't play exciting, attack minded football with the squad we have now then we never will.

12 minutes ago, Widge said:

I’ve had a couple in the last few months I think? It’s certainly not been a year. However it’s the first one in about 18 months to get my name correct. emoji23.png

That's the first one I've received since the start of last season anyway! I searched earlier because I'm a saddo.

@Radford Anyone answered the Unofficial Twitter question about the last competitive penalty save at McDiarmid yet?

Last one was Russell Griffiths of Motherwell, from O'Halloran in the 4-1 game last August, denied him a hat trick.

Transfermarkt isnt the most accurate, but they dont list any home saves for Clark, Mannus, Enkleman, Smith, Main or Cuthbert.

Edited by RandomGuy.

It's looking for the last save by a Saints keeper, rather than just any save. Competitive home fixtures, not including shootouts, so Clark against Sunderland, or East Fife this season, doesn't count. Was inspired by Jon McLaughlin making first save on home soil by a Sunderland keeper since 1989 at the weekend! At the moment, it's incredibly looking like it might actually be 1997!

5 minutes ago, Radford said:

It's looking for the last save by a Saints keeper, rather than just any save. Competitive home fixtures, not including shootouts, so Clark against Sunderland, or East Fife this season, doesn't count. Was inspired by Jon McLaughlin making first save on home soil by a Sunderland keeper since 1989 at the weekend! At the moment, it's incredibly looking like it might actually be 1997!

Yeah, never read it properly tbh and didnt realise it was home keepers.

Suspect we'll have it happen against Aberdeen now, footballs funny like that.

I don’t think I’ve ever had confidence in a saints keeper saving a penalty. I didn’t with Mannus and despite Clark’s size, not sure he’s ever even guessed the right way.

More importantly, who now takes saints penalties? You’ve got Craig, McMillan, Swanson all capable in the squad and I’m sure given the chance, Watt and maybe even Drey Wright would fancy them.

Just now, Widge said:

McMillan hasn’t missed for saints. I think it’s tricky, cause he’d probably take them first on the order list, not sure you can just move him down.

I can't remember McMillan taking any tbh :lol: I'd reckon Swanson is ahead of Craig anyway, no idea how Watt would react to a penalty award either, that article suggests he was desperate to take one once. Either way Swanson was a reliable one for a season and I can't remember him missing one.

I can't remember McMillan taking any tbh :lol: I'd reckon Swanson is ahead of Craig anyway, no idea how Watt would react to a penalty award either, that article suggests he was desperate to take one once. Either way Swanson was a reliable one for a season and I can't remember him missing one.

He scored one at the end of last season and I’m pretty sure took them for Dundalk. I’d agree Swanson was ahead of Craig, given his mixed record and the fact that Swanson converted about 10 in a single season, especially after Craig missed the first of three against Falkirk.

I feel like Watt would be reminded we’ve a designated taker and if that isn’t him, then we’ve the players in the squad to remind him to pip down.