Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Looks like it's just until January. Could be a good short term signing and all being well he'll be a standout.

Already excited for the last minute scramble in January to find a replacement midfielder for him when he goes back though :-|

3 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Confirmed until the end of the season.

The club have swiftly deleted that tweet and changed it to January. Happy with the quality of playe, not so the length of the contract. 

Just for the record, I was joking about making an offer for Paton, and I thought the Saintee was as well.  I thought we were reduced to an absolutely brutal style of football when he played.

I would rather pick any of our current squad to start than re-sign him.

He did try hard though.

Edited by PauloPerth

Signing of Tristan Nydam from BBC sport:

St Johnstone have signed 18-year-old midfielder Tristan Nydam on loan from Ipswich Town until January.

The teenager made 20 appearances for the English Championship side last season but has not featured since Paul Hurst took over as manager this summer.

An England U19 international, Nydam told the Perth club's website: "I'm energetic, I like to put a tackle in.

"I'm all right at passing, so I have a few qualities I can bring. I was just buzzing to get out here."

Nydam will add competition for places in central midfield at McDiarmid Park with Murray Davidson facing a scan on an ankle injury picked up against Hearts.

Manager Tommy Wright told St Johnstone's website: "He may only be 18, but he has first-team experience and has played in the Ipswich v Norwich derby, as well as against other big Championship clubs.

"He's predominantly left footed and can fulfil a number of different roles in the middle of the park. 

"He can play as a holding midfielder if required but can also be box-to-box. He's also very comfortable on the ball and is good in possession.

"He's a tenacious player who works extremely hard. He ticks all of the boxes that you want in a midfielder."

Edited by PauloPerth

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Just for the record, I was joking about making an offer for Paton, and I thought the Saintee was as well.  I thought we were reduced to an absolutely brutal style of football when he played.

I would rather pick any of our current squad to start than re-sign him.

He did try hard though.

Oh I know. i just don't joke about Paul Paton. 

Nydam taking the number 17 jersey - a brave boy. I like his style.

I'd rather play Scobbie in CM than Paton. 

Sounds like an outstanding signing, and it's exciting to see how he does. Not bothered about the length of deal, as it might allow us to have something interesting to watch on #WinterDeadlineDay

Given Davidson’s history in playing within time frames, he’ll be fit for saturday!

Still one of those weeks is an international and then there’s 2 games against Celtic. So I guess if anything it’s not too bad for now. Gives Alston/Spoony a chance to impress, plus the new kid as well. I mean ultimately Murray will walk back into the first team, but you never know.

1 minute ago, Widge said:

Given Davidson’s history in playing within time frames, he’ll be fit for saturday!

Still one of those weeks is an international and then there’s 2 games against Celtic. So I guess if anything it’s not too bad for now. Gives Alston/Spoony a chance to impress, plus the new kid as well. I mean ultimately Murray will walk back into the first team, but you never know.

Certainly opens the door for the 3 mentioned above. I would say Craig will retain his place for now given his experience in Muzz's absence but the other position(s) will be up for grabs depending on the shape of the team.

Looks like the club will have very little time to decide whether we need another midfielder or not in this window though. We'll only know the full extent of the injury on Thursday so you'd presume we'll either have someone on stand by to sign in case we do get bad news or the decision will be made prior to the injury on whether we sign someone or not. 

Or the alternative is simply to regain McCann and not send him out on loan. For a 4 week injury however that seems detrimental to his development.

Before the end of the window I expect the following -

McCann, Hendry and maybe Comrie out on loan.

Another central midfielder signed, probably on a 6 month loan, ala Abeid, Edwards, Doughty in that window. Someone who’s simply a bench filler.

Ohh and Swanson back on loan for the season. (I think we all know his isn’t going to happen)

3 minutes ago, Widge said:

Or the alternative is simply to regain McCann and not send him out on loan. For a 4 week injury however that seems detrimental to his development.

Before the end of the window I expect the following -

McCann, Hendry and maybe Comrie out on loan.

Another central midfielder signed, probably on a 6 month loan, ala Abeid, Edwards, Doughty in that window. Someone who’s simply a bench filler.

Ohh and Swanson back on loan for the season. (I think we all know his isn’t going to happen)

I'd forego the other central midfielder if it meant we were allowed Swanson back. Imagine him in this squad.

I'd forego the other central midfielder if it meant we were allowed Swanson back. Imagine him in this squad.

I think we all know that Wright will never bring Swanson back with Foster in the squad. It may be in the past, but I’d rather have Foster continue his excellent form this season than get side tracked.

With Kane making a successful return for the reserves, I think that paved the way for Hendry to go out on a 6 month loan. We appear to be favouring one up top as it is, so if the worst happens and we lose a striker, you’ve still got Scougall and Spoony to come in and play there. The kids showing promise for sure, but needs games, not 10 minute cameos. If he comes back from a loan spell with 5/6 goals under his belt then even better.

Comrie is in last chance saloon. If he does out, and let’s face it, Shaughnessy is second choice rigour back, he needs to perform. Otherwise it’s a promising start thrown away.

Then you’ve got the central pair, I don’t think he’ll send McLean out on loan, he’ll be involved in the squads and reserves especially since Murray is injured. McCann has to go out imo. He’s young, 18 is very young at this level, he needs to mix it with older heads and learn the game the hard way. He’s got talent and he’s got a bright future, but as with Hendry he needs games to show it. I think we’ll look to do the same as we did with May and Jason Kerr, season out on loan, maybe another 6 months. But the time he comes back he’ll be 20 and ready to cement his place in the team. Or at least that’s the hope.

Just now, Widge said:

I think we all know that Wright will never bring Swanson back with Foster in the squad. It may be in the past, but I’d rather have Foster continue his excellent form this season than get side tracked.

With Kane making a successful return for the reserves, I think that paved the way for Hendry to go out on a 6 month loan. We appear to be favouring one up top as it is, so if the worst happens and we lose a striker, you’ve still got Scougall and Spoony to come in and play there. The kids showing promise for sure, but needs games, not 10 minute cameos. If he comes back from a loan spell with 5/6 goals under his belt then even better.

Comrie is in last chance saloon. If he does out, and let’s face it, Shaughnessy is second choice rigour back, he needs to perform. Otherwise it’s a promising start thrown away.

Then you’ve got the central pair, I don’t think he’ll send McLean out on loan, he’ll be involved in the squads and reserves especially since Murray is injured. McCann has to go out imo. He’s young, 18 is very young at this level, he needs to mix it with older heads and learn the game the hard way. He’s got talent and he’s got a bright future, but as with Hendry he needs games to show it. I think we’ll look to do the same as we did with May and Jason Kerr, season out on loan, maybe another 6 months. But the time he comes back he’ll be 20 and ready to cement his place in the team. Or at least that’s the hope.

We tried to bring Swanson back in January I'm sure  - Swanson turned down the move then because he felt he hadn't had a fair crack at Hibs. Admittedly I don't think it's realistic now given the options we have wide, the wages he'd demand and the size of the squad generally, but I think both parties would be open to the move in the right circumstances. I don't think there's a problem between Foster and Swanson - might be wrong in that though.

Agree regarding Kane and Hendry. Hendry's absence from the reserve game today possibly means we've got a loan deal lined up for him somewhere. He's go so much potential so I hope he does get a chance to go out and performs to a high standard.

In Tommy's shoes, I'd look to send out Hendry, McClean, McCann, Comrie and probably two Hursts as well. The first 3 with a view to developing into first team players, the other 3 for more first team football/last chance saloon and potentially to give themselves a better chance of finding a good level after they leave us as I think all 3 will fall short here.

Agree with a lot of this.

McCann has excellent potential, but needs to play at least a half season of 'man's football' rather than development/ age group level in front of a bias crowd (however small) to get himself a bit streetwise and to see if he can cut it.  On the brief glimpses seen so far, you'd certainly hope so.  Hendry and Comrie also need a regular run of games, and will have to go out to get that.

If we bring in another CM, I think Kyle McLean should go out on loan as well.

You would hope the Nydam deal has the option to extend until the summer. Still optimistic of another player coming in yet..