Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Nah you’re wrong mate, would have Swanson back in a heartbeat. Back to school to work on your Higher English comprehension thanks.

Far too often it was heard at games loads of old codgers criticising genuinely good players like O’Halloran and Swanson because they wanted to see more of the good honest hard-working Saintee youth players. More often than not they’re fucking gash and end up playing in League 2 which realistically is hardly better than playing Junior.

I’m not writing off McCann as he appears to have a bit more about him than Caddis, Brown et al but if he’s our starting midfielder this season we’re in for a torrid time. Get him out on loan to prove himself a bit and bring in someone who’s currently a better player. Although I suspect you agree with all of the above.

Actually f**k it, what’s Gareth Rodgers up to these days, get him on the blower, he was a guid honest Saintee centre half. Get him converted into a holding centre mid and we’re sorted. 

Indeed - my English comprehension mark let me down badly and has let me down again here. Please accept my apology as I totally agree with the point you were actually making.

Agree about McCann too. I think he could be decent for us but he needs to be out getting first team football at a lower level for a year or two first.

Edited by Kyle

Don’t worry about it mate, think Perth College offer it as an option for mature students. 

It’s honestly paid dividends for us recently - throwing these boys in too early does nothing but dent their confidence and hinders their development, especially if they’re not getting as much game time.

The successful youth players recently have all performed excellently whilst out on loan at lower league clubs and justified a start. Not just ‘oh he’s done alright in the u20s League, he’s ready’. I’m looking at May, Kerr, Gordon and Kane as examples of this. If a player is not getting rave reviews at the likes of Peterhead then he’s unlikely to make it I’m afraid.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

30 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Don’t worry about it mate, think Perth College offer it as an option for mature students. 

It’s honestly paid dividends for us recently - throwing these boys in too early does nothing but dent their confidence and hinders their development, especially if they’re not getting as much game time.

The successful youth players recently have all performed excellently whilst out on loan at lower league clubs and justified a start. Not just ‘oh he’s done alright in the u20s League, he’s ready’. I’m looking at May, Kerr, Gordon and Kane as examples of this. If a player is not getting rave reviews at the likes of Peterhead then he’s unlikely to make it I’m afraid.

Kane is far from a 'successful youth player'. Will be kept on the books for too long before pinballing his way down the leagues like so many others before him.

There’s Wright in the courier saying that we may sign two central midfielders. One of which is ‘well down the line’ and not linked to Davidson’s injury, the other is linked to that injury - he’ll be looking for someone if Muzz requires surgery.  Doesn’t sound good for Davidson if that is the case. 

Edited by Kyle

53 minutes ago, Stelling said:

Kane is far from a 'successful youth player'. Will be kept on the books for too long before pinballing his way down the leagues like so many others before him.

Kane’s done alright. Scored some important goals such as up in Aberdeen. Agreed he’s hardly amazing but still would call him relatively successful in comparison to the probably hundreds of others who have done absolutely f**k all in a Saints shirt. 

25 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Kane has done well at Championship level and is good enough to be third/fourth striker at our level. He’s much better than your Thomsons/Browns/Caddis’ of the world. 

3 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Kane’s done alright. Scored some important goals such as up in Aberdeen. Agreed he’s hardly amazing but still would call him relatively successful in comparison to the probably hundreds of others who have done absolutely f**k all in a Saints shirt. 

Thomson, Brown and Caddis all showed promise but ended up as nothing more than cheap squad fodder. We will never sell Kane for a profit and he's never going to push his way to the front of the striker queue, so when all is said and done he's just going to fall into the same category.

Granted, that goal up in Aberdeen was a beautiful moment. It's a shame he couldn't build on that and push on more.

22 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Thomson and Caddis certainly and Brown possibly I can’t remember, all had spells in League 1 where they were not getting good reviews. Kane is loved at Dumbarton and the QOTS fans rated him highly enough as well. He’s not on the same level as Kerr, Gordon or Kane but to put him in the same level as Thomson and Caddis is extremely harsh, he will have a career in football, possibly at Saints but in the Championship at the very least. He looked much stronger and sharper in the last six months of last season, including a hat trick in the cup and an absolutely bodying of million pound player Caulker. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he pushes on and becomes semi regular with us. 

I'd love for you to be right my man but I just can't see it happening. He may have more ability than Thomson, Caddis and Brown did, but in the context of his squad role he is basically in the same position. It's also becoming clearer than Tommy doesn't see him as anything more than a third or fourth choice striking option. He seems to have hit his ceiling.

It will be interesting to see where Kane stands if Hendry continues his confident start but no loan materialises for him.

Edited by Stelling

8 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Thomson and Caddis certainly and Brown possibly I can’t remember, all had spells in League 1 where they were not getting good reviews. Kane is loved at Dumbarton and the QOTS fans rated him highly enough as well. He’s not on the same level as Kerr, Gordon or May but to put him in the same level as Thomson and Caddis is extremely harsh, he will have a career in football, possibly at Saints but in the Championship at the very least. He looked much stronger and sharper in the last six months of last season, including a hat trick in the cup and an absolutely bodying of million pound player Caulker. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he pushes on and becomes semi regular with us. 

Gordon didn't do well on loan as far as I can remember, at best he got mixed reviews from their fans. 

Sounds like we might have something to watch on deadline day too. Tansey on loan seems like a possibility again, a week left and we've to sign a CM with stature at short notice, and he seems the least risky. His injury problems the major downside. 

9 hours ago, Stelling said:

Thomson, Brown and Caddis all showed promise but ended up as nothing more than cheap squad fodder. We will never sell Kane for a profit and he's never going to push his way to the front of the striker queue, so when all is said and done he's just going to fall into the same category.

Granted, that goal up in Aberdeen was a beautiful moment. It's a shame he couldn't build on that and push on more.

Kane’s made more Saints appearances than Caddis, Brown and Thomson combined (according to wiki tbf) and is a similar age. Scored a few goals too and 83 appearances isn’t to be sniffed at. He’s not great but he’s a decent back up which can’t be said for any of the others. 

Think you need to stop hating on the people’s hero Chris Kane.

It’s weird, I don’t think Kane is a brilliant finisher by any means, but he can be relied upon to pop up with a few goals every season. Even off the bench he’s pretty handy to have. He at least stretches teams and works hard whenever he plays.

Kane really bulked up towards the end of last season and provided a real physical presence. There were games where he was bouncing defenders all over the place and looked like he was  coming into his own. For the first time in a while I'm very happy with our striking options - we have 4 players whom at the moment I'd be happy starting up top. Add to that we have two very good wingers at the club and even in reserve we have quality in Spoony who can play either side we finally have depth in these areas. 

2 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Kane’s made more Saints appearances than Caddis, Brown and Thomson combined (according to wiki tbf) and is a similar age. Scored a few goals too and 83 appearances isn’t to be sniffed at. He’s not great but he’s a decent back up which can’t be said for any of the others. 

Think you need to stop hating on the people’s hero Chris Kane.

Yet with all those appearances he hasn't been able to convince that he has the ability to be anything more than a third or fourth choice. It really depends on what we class as a "success" from the youth ranks. For so many years we had dud after dud coming off the production line, so does the emergence of an average-at-best squad player who will score a couple a season all of a sudden become something to celebrate? If he had been a signing brought into the club, he would have been written off a long time ago. Especially when you look at more recent products like Kerr and Gordon who are making the step up look relatively easy by comparison.

No h8 intended Mr Bonk, but I just don't see the spark in Kane that others appear to. For all the time and effort and loan moves that are being used to develop him, it seems this is as far as he will go. I think he'll drop down to the championship at the end of this contract.

If you play Kane in every game over the course of the season, based on his improvement last year he’d probably get you 10 league goals and maybe a few more in the cup. Baring in mind our lead striker last season and the seasons before that didn’t manage double figures suggests that so long as his play is better (which it appears to be) he’d be more than capable in the premier league. Certainly not a bad player to have in the squad and I think he’s probably a lower level Premier League striker to be honest. He’s not as classy as Watt, or as natural a finisher as McMillan (who’s yet to show what he’s about), nor is he as cocky as Hendry. But he’s himself and works harder than them all, harries and wins more balls back and stretches defences like none of the other strikers do.

Am I wrong in thinking that Kane actually was our first-choice striker after returning from his most recent QoS loan? Fairly sure he started every single game (with the exception of Celtic away) after the winter break until he picked up this injury. It looked like he'd finally made the breakthrough and returned a different player. Seems like very strange timing to criticise his progress.

I think Kane was unlucky last season with the injury that kept him out of the last few games. He came back from Dumfries a completely different player and finally looked to be getting to the level that I think a lot of us had hoped he was capable of. He’s definitely not a natural finisher but his hard work and more physical style was getting him in some good positions.  Based on the 2nd half of last season I’d have been happy going into this season with him as 2nd choice.

He’s now fallen behind Watt and McMillan, with Hendrie keen to play his way into the first team rather than a loan it leaves you wondering how much game time Kane will see this season. 

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

Am I wrong in thinking that Kane actually was our first-choice striker after returning from his most recent QoS loan? Fairly sure he started every single game (with the exception of Celtic away) after the winter break until he picked up this injury. It looked like he'd finally made the breakthrough and returned a different player. Seems like very strange timing to criticise his progress.

Had no intention of criticising any recent progress specifically, just questioned whether he could truly be classed as a "successful" youth product given the failure to establish himself after a number of attempts and opportunities (debut almost exactly five years ago), or whether the poor standard of our previous youth products and perhaps a slight case of blue-tinted specs had skewed opinion.