Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I'd be surprised if Watt could ruin the dressing room, tbh. Him and Kennedy seem like they'll have their own wee clique, but there's far bigger players in there in terms of influence. 
hope for your sake you are right but his career so far hardly covers him in glory. kennedy is a great signing. wont score goals though

13 minutes ago, ah-dee said:
48 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:
I'd be surprised if Watt could ruin the dressing room, tbh. Him and Kennedy seem like they'll have their own wee clique, but there's far bigger players in there in terms of influence. 

hope for your sake you are right but his career so far hardly covers him in glory. kennedy is a great signing. wont score goals though

McMillan and Kane should get goals regardless, both scored their fair share second half of last season. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Over the past couple of Seasons we have lost big personalities  likes of MacKay Wright MacLean Millar Mannus and even Scobbie who do you see as "Big influencial" players 

If Hibs manage to get through their European tie, probably with a 5 all draw, then our first home game of the season on 11th August  is likely to be moved to the Sunday, as the first leg of the next round is Thursday 9th August.

Don’t want our game moved, but Hibs playing an away leg in Armenia or Kazakhstan three days before coming to McDiarmid would be just fine!

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I'll take that as a no then?

Says Tommy Wright is looking at getting him back to St. Johnstone as well.

Yes I thought you were at it because he was mentioned quite often over the previous few pages.

For us he started ok, then had a spell of being very underwhelming, then came good in the last few games. He’d be a good signing for you if you got him.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes I thought you were at it because he was mentioned quite often over the previous few pages.

For us he started ok, then had a spell of being very underwhelming, then came good in the last few games. He’d be a good signing for you if you got him.

I'll be honest, I hadn't looked! :) 

But yeah, we really need someone attacking.

Willock, Greg Stewart and some Danish lad Brock-Madsen from Birmingham are all linked.

Aye Willock is a decent enough player when played in an advanced midfield role but I don’t think he’s great when sitting a bit deeper. I don’t actually think he’s what we need right now, but I’d be happy enough if we signed him again.

He’s certainly good enough for this level and would be a good signing for St Mirren if you play to his strengths. 

I've expressed my thoughts on our midfield situation previously but if the manager isn't going to sign a proper holding midfielder then you weigh up what Willock would bring.

He'd be coming into St Johnstone to compete with others for a place alongside Murray Davidson and it would allow us to put a young player out on loan. There wouldn't automatically be an over-reliance on him; we don't need him to be a big hit. I'm comfortable with that as the sample size folk are judging him on is small and the fact he ended his loan well (3 games) means he's viewed in a positive light. Was that because he settled or was it more chance and the player we saw between a very positive debut and the end of April is the more likely capture?

A good quality holding midfielder would still be my preference but we don't need another permanent player in the mould of the players we have in the centre of the park, so I'm alright with a loan option in there and Willock would be fine. As said though, I wouldn't want to be bringing in a 21-year-old with 4 good games from 11 or 12 on loan (and that virtually being the sum total of his senior career) and putting all my hopes on him. It wouldn't be a betting the house keys on red but definitely a gamble in that scenario.

Be disappointed if Willock chose St Mirren, but then again we've seen Murray Davidson getting forward again more and there's not much of a comparison over who's better at it. 

Brings us back to @tree house tam saying he'd heard another name, and whether they "fit the bill" everyone is wanting better than Willock?

I like Willock, I think he’s a cracking player and one id want in our squad However, I don’t think he’s the type of midfielder we need right now. If we can get him on loan and another deeper sitting player then sure by all means, that way we could send McLean/McCann out on loan to get some experience.

39 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Be disappointed if Willock chose St Mirren...

He'll go where he thinks United want him to go. They might be disappointed he only got 7 starts with Saints or feel he's the sort of guy that needs challenged by going somewhere new.

We know the player wants to come back to McDiarmid, so it'll be disappointing for him more than anything if he has to go somewhere else.

1 minute ago, Radford said:

He'll go where he thinks United want him to go. They might be disappointed he only got 7 starts with Saints or feel he's the sort of guy that needs challenged by going somewhere new.

We know the player wants to come back to McDiarmid, so it'll be disappointing for him more than anything if he has to go somewhere else.

Let's face it, with their squad he'll get a lot more game time.

33 minutes ago, Radford said:

Had guessed players maybe get some control over their moves, but that's maybe hopelessly naive. Suppose theres Chelsea players who get punted over to random Dutch clubs every six months, doubt that would be up to them. 

9 hours ago, ali_91 said:

I know some people would rather go for a ball playing midfielder, and I’d agree if we could find one, but I’d rather a good player like Willock than an average ball playing midfielder. 

8 hours ago, Kyle said:

I don’t actually think he’s what we need right now, but I’d be happy enough if we signed him again.

5 hours ago, Radford said:

A good quality holding midfielder would still be my preference but we don't need another permanent player in the mould of the players we have in the centre of the park, so I'm alright with a loan option in there and Willock would be fine.

47 minutes ago, Widge said:

I like Willock, I think he’s a cracking player and one id want in our squad However, I don’t think he’s the type of midfielder we need right now.

This is a pointless post to say I agree with all of you.

A good player, one I'd be happy enough if we signed, but it would leave me with the slight feeling that the squad was not quite perfect; great, but with a small piece missing in terms of the Jody Millar type. 

I also think it would be difficult to keep everyone happy in terms of the numbers of attacking central midfielders if we added a Willock to Alston, Spoony, Scougall and our two new wide players. It also looks like Kyle McLean is most comfortable in an attacking midfield position.  The one hope I have for Willock is that he's more of a box to box central midfielder a bit like Muzz who'll do everything, rather than an off-the-striker type like Scougall.

At present I'd say Liam Craig is most suited to the sitting midfield role out of our squad, but as an outside shout I wonder if Tommy will be tempted to play Foster in there further down the line if we're struggling when Joe is fit again.