Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

19 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

If Saints play like that in the league this season, it could be a long hard season for you. Your only saving grace might be that there will be a few teams that will be in the same bracket as you.

18 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

but that's paving over the previous half hour of shooty-in

Apart from the two great saves from the keeper, I would hardly call that shooty-in.  If you guys are happy with that kind of performance against a part time team then you are easily pleased.

As I said earlier, there will be other teams battling in the  position. I dare say that Saints will be okay because they will be better than 2 or 3 of the other teams mentioned above.

45 minutes ago, PortyMo said:

If Saints play like that in the league this season, it could be a long hard season for you. Your only saving grace might be that there will be a few teams that will be in the same bracket as you.

It's a pre-season game against a bunch of brickies on a shite fives astro. We'll be just fine once the real life matches start but thanks pal xoxo

38 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

It could well happen, but bear in mind that's a pre-season/ cup tie away on a poor pitch against a team who were very up for it and going well.  Yes the last 10-15 minutes Montrose pressed us and hit the bar twice, but that's paving over the previous half hour of shooty-in. We should have had that game sewn up well before your late flourish.  The first half was just poor all round, and Tommy obviously got fired right into them at HT.

Far from a great performance from us, but it's a new look side which is still gelling and trying to find the best way to play.   As long as we see progress on Tuesday and next Saturday, I'll be happy enough.. though as most Saints fans have commented on, we still need  a centre midfielder.

12 minutes ago, PortyMo said:

If you guys are happy with that kind of performance against a part time team then you are easily pleased.

That's not really what I said though.

Not great, but got the points and a clean sheet in second competitive match of the season. If you're looking for Saints fans to panic and go way over the top because it wasn't a vintage performance, then sorry to disappoint you.

However, may I politely point you in the direction of the St Mirren thread; they seem to be providing exactly the reaction to their performances that you are looking for.

6 hours ago, PortyMo said:

It's a pre-season game against a bunch of brickies.

And you were holding on for dear life 

:lol: there's a reason for that, and it's not because Montrose are some incredible side. 

Theres a reason we're two divisions above. The fact you're absolutely buzzing about only losing 1-0 and "giving it a real good go", is perfectly understandable, but you're pushing the reality a bit much now. 

6 hours ago, PortyMo said:

It's a pre-season game against a bunch of brickies.

And you were holding on for dear life 

Anyone who takes even a passing interest in St Johnstone will know that those last 15 mins are typical of any and every game where St Johnstone are winning by a single goal.  You may say you were unlucky because you hit the bar etc. but I'm sure if you looked back on previous St Johnstone match threads you would see the same complaints from other supporters time and time again.

It was a poor display from St Johnstone, but read the comments from fans of other teams - we are crap, we play anti-football and we are lucky.  Fortunately, this style has served us well over the last few years. 

5 minutes ago, Jake said:

Anyone who takes even a passing interest in St Johnstone will know that those last 15 mins are typical of any and every game where St Johnstone are winning by a single goal.  You may say you were unlucky because you hit the bar etc. but I'm sure if you looked back on previous St Johnstone match threads you would see the same complaints from other supporters time and time again.

It was a poor display from St Johnstone, but read the comments from fans of other teams - we are crap, we play anti-football and we are lucky.  Fortunately, this style has served us well over the last few years. 

One of the statto twitter pages had a perfect example. Sure it was a year ago, but it had us down in the highest three places of clubs in terms of "shots against", but in the lowest six of "expected goals against". 

We concede a lot of chances, but most of the chances are rushed/blocked/from awkward angles. 

Who really fucking cares about that yesterday? These games ARE pre season friendlies no matter how anyone spins it. We have a dynamic central midfielder and a very decent left winger to come in, that'll change the whole outlook of our side. Sure half the team didn't play well but until we have all our players in I'm not overly bothered.

Have to admit, I'd hoped for better performances in these two games but in my eyes they aren't just friendlies and in that sense, results are what matter and five points from six isn't a disaster.

Hopefully we've moved some way towards addressing a lack of threat from the left with the signing of Kennedy but both games have highlighted issues in the middle of the park. Craig did well as game wore on at Links Park but we know he's not the answer for a full Premiership campaign. My other concern is we've not created as many chances as I'd have expected against a couple of part-time teams.

Looking for better against Falkirk and Forfar.