Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Yes centre backs did fine. Drey Wright a good competitive debut, probably our best player.  Watt and Kane added a bit of energy to a lacklustre attack,

The centre midfield was poor. We knew it beforehand, that there’s too many sitting types, no one who will make a run beyond the strikers.  Since the end of the season I felt it was our most important position to get somebody in and I still do.  Willock or similar looks even more imperative now.

Macmillan didn’t offer much, albeit on limited service, but I thought he’d impose himself on the east fife back line a bit more, and be hungrier for a goal.

The big disappointment was Scougall. Playing exactly where we wanted to see him and he was very ineffective.  Hopefully just one of those days.

Still, first competitive game so obviously rusty and plenty opportunity for improvement, and a week of training to sort things.

5 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

Is Wright quick? Is he an outlet or a creative type?

He seemed quite quick, skinned the full back a few times in the first half and put the ball into the box.

He likes to run with the ball at his feet and looked very positive in possession.

Toward the end when we were chasing a goal, he seemed to have a free role and was the one who was most trying to drive us on and make something happen. At least that’s how it appeared to me, others maybe saw different.

10 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

Is Wright quick? Is he an outlet or a creative type?

He's a bit like Croft first time around, I reckon, not blistering pace but enough to get that initial yard for a cross. Seems to enjoy drifting across the park, and I suspect he'll be willing to take a shot if the chance presents. He was definitely a positive, as was Watt, who looks rusty yet still caused the most issues for East Fife with his runs at the byline. 

Have to assume the full backs delivery will improve with games. Scougall needs to do more though, it can't be easy have balls drilled at him head height and then almost no movement when he goes forward, but that never stopped Swanson creating things, and that's the level Scougall is being paid to match. 

Very early to say but I'd say outlet more than creative for Wright.

Scougall just got no room to operate all day, not the sort of game to suit him. I know the issues but there is more space out wide.

Edited by Radford

I thought Scougall started off ok in the first 10 minutes or so, when we were passing the ball around and looking decent. Wright got some joy wide on the right during this period as well. For some reason (not sure if orders from the bench?)  Wright and Liam then seemed to start playing far more narrow, which stifled the middle of the park and made it a total shitfest.  

Really poor stuff today.  We are crying out for a left midfielder and someone in the middle to replace Millar. 

Edited by Nelly78

Taking our limited budget into account, is Matty Willock the kind of midfielder we should be going for? I obviously haven't seen a lot of him, but I was mainly impressed with his directness. He never struck me as someone who would be particularly comfortable in a holding midfield role. I never saw him as someone who would be able to comfortably retain possession or take control of a game.

1 hour ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I take it the FCU have declined the invite to return to mcd? Didn't see any of them at the game today anyway!

world cup game full of EPL superstars was on the box. don't expect that corner to turn up when big teams are on the telly

no attention, no party

4 hours ago, Stelling said:

world cup game full of EPL superstars was on the box. don't expect that corner to turn up when big teams are on the telly

no attention, no party

This. They'll come back when it suits them. Some will cause bother at away games, again, and they'll be warned by the police over it, again, and then they'll all go in a huff, again, claiming the whole world's out to get them and its simply not fair, again. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

10 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Taking our limited budget into account, is Matty Willock the kind of midfielder we should be going for? I obviously haven't seen a lot of him, but I was mainly impressed with his directness. He never struck me as someone who would be particularly comfortable in a holding midfield role. I never saw him as someone who would be able to comfortably retain possession or take control of a game.

Exactly this. Willock's poorest game was when he was the one in a 4-1-4-1 against Rangers at McDiarmid but is that not exactly the player we are needing? I think Wright sees Wotherspoon as a replacement for Millar but whilst you can debate his suitability to that role, I'm not sure that anyone would argue against him being inconsistent, which isn't what you want from a player in the middle of the park.

The more time passes though, the more sure I am that Wright is waiting/hoping to get Swanson back to fill this wide left role.

8 minutes ago, Radford said:

Exactly this. Willock's poorest game was when he was the one in a 4-1-4-1 against Rangers at McDiarmid but is that not exactly the player we are needing? I think Wright sees Wotherspoon as a replacement for Millar but whilst you can debate his suitability to that role, I'm not sure that anyone would argue against him being inconsistent, which isn't what you want from a player in the middle of the park.

The more time passes though, the more sure I am that Wright is waiting/hoping to get Swanson back to fill this wide left role.

My, probably wrong, opinion is that Willock could be moulded into that player over a season, by the end of last season he looked comfortable taking the ball in midfield and linking play with players in the final third. Maybe we don't need a complete Millar clone and someone who can offer more in attack aswell could be a benefit. Wotherspoon, clearly has the ability to play that role, but he'll probably be unable to deal with that pressure every week. 

Reckon he's had a suggestion Swanson is available? Or is this a case of him yet again wasting a window on something that's hugely unlikely. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

3 minutes ago, Radford said:

I think Wright sees Wotherspoon as a replacement for Millar but whilst you can debate his suitability to that role, I'm not sure that anyone would argue against him being inconsistent, which isn't what you want from a player in the middle of the park.

This is how I feel. Spoony is undoubtedly a talented player, but he’s far too careless in possession to play that role. I think he sees himself sitting central spraying passes about, but  you want someone who will complete 90% or so of passes and be reliable. With Spoony it’s 50/50 whether he makes a pass or loses it.

He has so much ability, but I feel he’s still better suited to playing further forward where his ability to beat a player and to finish can be utilised, plus if he loses it, it’s not such a dangerous area for us.

Why would you want to spend a season moulding a player that doesn't even belong to you? I still thought Willock looked at his best breaking forward when the performances improved. Yesterday we were crying out for someone with some spactial awareness in the centre of the park.

Swanson just seems so obvious.

Morning. I’m new but have had a ST for ages. Agree with Random Guy that Wright reminded me of Lee Croft. Creative but solid! Husband is a Hibee, Swanson did play on Thursday but Hibs fans’ consensus is that he’s not good enough for them. :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, Radford said:

Why would you want to spend a season moulding a player that doesn't even belong to you? I still thought Willock looked at his best breaking forward when the performances improved. Yesterday we were crying out for someone with some spactial awareness in the centre of the park.

Swanson just seems so obvious.

Well his contract expires at the end of this season. And maybe he'll be able to play that role within two months, so you'll get the majority of the season with a player of his calibre, instead of a lower quality player who can play the role straight away. 

Just an opinion. 

Still think we need a Millar player, but who's more capable in the opposition half. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

6 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

He has so much ability, but I feel he’s still better suited to playing further forward where his ability to beat a player and to finish can be utilised, plus if he loses it, it’s not such a dangerous area for us.

He is one of the most frustrating players I can remember. Not in a really bad way just that you know how good he could/can be. I'm not sure he does see himself in the central role you described but the manager now appears to. Same applies to  Alston, who doesn't have the tenacity or awareness to play in a conventional central role. Chris Millar matured over time to switch to the position he filled latterly, maybe Wotherspoon or even Alston will as well.

2 minutes ago, Leese said:

Agree with Random Guy...

Not a good start TBH...

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well his contract expires at the end of this season. And maybe he'll be able to play that role within two months, so you'll get the majority of the season with a player of his calibre, instead of a lower quality player who can play the role straight away. 

Just an opinion. 

Still think we need a Millar player, but who's more capable in the opposition half. 

Appreciate the last point and to be fair, you are consistent on that as I'm sure it's come up before. I disagree on that but it's how someone wants the game to be played which is obviously an individual thing.

I like Willock and if the budget was there, sign him, but for me I want a player like Millar or Morris in the team, who does their best work in the areas they thrived in. We've had a decade plus of it and it's been successful.

1 hour ago, Leese said:

Morning. I’m new but have had a ST for ages. Agree with Random Guy that Wright reminded me of Lee Croft. Creative but solid! Husband is a Hibee, Swanson did play on Thursday but Hibs fans’ consensus is that he’s not good enough for them. :rolleyes:

Welcome. Not every Hibs fan thinks that. I sit next to a Hibs season ticket holder at work and he raves about Swanson. He wishes Lennon played him more often.

1 hour ago, Leese said:

Madly many Saints fans moaned about him too saying they didnt want him in the team. Majority upset about his lack of defensive work. 

Personally was very disappointed when he left! 

I thought Wright did well yesterday overall though.