Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Alston will probably be average/pish for the first wee while. That's not a dig at him - Stewart, holt, McGinn all suffered initially making the step up.

What are the chances of the Saints fans turning on him or are you a generally patient lot?

I'd expect that coupled with the fact we seem to struggle at the start of the season for the first month or so every season.

I have my concerns he might go down the pecking order after Wright seems to have his favourites - Wotherspoon for example - and might not be first choice, but the fact we have been chasing him for a while fills me with confidence. How long did your players struggle before they kicked on?

Aye, see Danny Swansons debut.

You're ignoring the fact he had a fair bit of history with us due to his "antics" in a tangerine jersey

I'd expect that coupled with the fact we seem to struggle at the start of the season for the first month or so every season.

I have my concerns he might go down the pecking order after Wright seems to have his favourites - Wotherspoon for example - and might not be first choice, but the fact we have been chasing him for a while fills me with confidence. How long did your players struggle before they kicked on?

Stewart was a couple months, McGinn about the same.

Holt was a bit longer - most of the season - but he's showing signs of improvement now IMO - others will disagree.

Alston will do a job for you guys, he will probably take a little while to find his feet going up a division but he has some potential and I think he needs to be playing at a higher level now to help him develop a bit more. 

He is really composed in front of goal and can pick a good pass but sometimes goes missing a little bit in games, works hard and always tracks his man.

He will pop up with a few special goals you will remember for a while. 

Alston will do a job for you guys, he will probably take a little while to find his feet going up a division but he has some potential and I think he needs to be playing at a higher level now to help him develop a bit more.

He is really composed in front of goal and can pick a good pass but sometimes goes missing a little bit in games, works hard and always tracks his man.

He will pop up with a few special goals you will remember for a while.

Could he play defensive mid? Sounds like more of an attacking player, and I understand he has been deployed on the right wing quite often.

Paul Patons understudy.

😂 Laughed at that, I must admit.

Defensive mid isn't really his game, doesn't shirk his responsibility going back but it would be a waste of his best attributes to leave him in a holding role, good box to box or on the right wing.

Problem is getting him picked over Davidson for box to box and Swanson/Coulson on the wing. You'd maybe imagine he's back up for Davidson then, which is disappointing. But who knows, I'm not the manager and don't know his plans.

Makes Paton more likely, which is worrying...

Problem is getting him picked over Davidson for box to box and Swanson/Coulson on the wing. You'd maybe imagine he's back up for Davidson then, which is disappointing. But who knows, I'm not the manager and don't know his plans.

Makes Paton more likely, which is worrying...

It's nice to have options though. Part of the problem at points this season has been a lack of different options in attacking areas. I think the clamour round Thomson earlier this season highlighted the dearth of attacking midfielders the squad has. Both Coulson and Alston offer variation and another - preferably pacey - option would be good. Both McKay and Sutton leaving and being replaced with players who offer something would be a massive bonus (or McKay proving himself).

Another centre defensive midfielder is a given and I'd probably not be as upset as some others with Paton signing.

We're quite a patient lot really. I'm fairly sure he'll get the chance to bed in.

I can see one of your posters vilifying his signing because he's contributed little the first three weeks before he sets up a goal - probably against Kilmarnock - and then that poster 'ghosts' a photo of Blair whilst trying to make a clay sculpture of Alston's hand to wànk himself off with as he's suddenly the greatest player to play in Perth colours.

It's nice to have options though. Part of the problem at points this season has been a lack of different options in attacking areas. I think the clamour round Thomson earlier this season highlighted the dearth of attacking midfielders the squad has. Both Coulson and Alston offer variation and another - preferably pacey - option would be good. Both McKay and Sutton leaving and being replaced with players who offer something would be a massive bonus (or McKay proving himself).

Another centre defensive midfielder is a given and I'd probably not be as upset as some others with Paton signing.

100% this. That horror run we had when midge and muzz were injured highlighted major weaknesses with the squad depth. Also who remembers scobbie and Fisher both playing the defensive midfield role :blink:

I'd rather have kept Lappin than sign Paton tbh. I get the logic in signing Paton - experienced top flight campaigner, played for top six sides in the past, only 29, but he's had knee problems himself recently and is a bit of raging fud. I'm also not really sure what he contributes - certainly a massive step down from Davidson and Millar to him.

If Paton is the best available in Scotland, I'd rather we took a chance on someone from down south or Ireland.

Midfield options so far;

Right wing;

David Wotherspoon

Blair Alston

Michael Coulson

Craig Thomson

Centre mid;

Chris Millar

Murray Davidson

Blair Alston

Liam Craig

David Wotherspoon

Left wing;

Danny Swanson

Liam Craig

David Wotherspoon

Michael Coulson

We've got 5 guys who can do a job in centre mid, although 2 of them are injury prone and 2 others are probably more comfortable in a 3 man midfield or playing wide in a 4. I don't think we need to rush into a signing and I think we can afford a gamble on a younger, probably cheaper, player.

Basically, I don't really want Paul Paton. :lol:

You reckon he could do the job in the prem?

I'm not sure, but I think he could. If we manage to offload Sutton, I'd take that risk. At the very least, it would provide us with a different option. I reckon we'd benefit from a striker with a bit of flair. Considering the short time he has played professionally, he's obviously a very raw talent. But you never know.. He might be the next Fran Sandaza. And we know that we already have three solid strikers to fall back upon if he doesn't make an initial impact. Not sure about his wage demands though, which might be too high for an unproven player at this level (or even Championship level).