33. Matty Kennedy (24) - 2020

11. Danny Swanson (32) - 2020

Forwards

16. David McMillan (30) - 2020 - on loan at Falkirk 

9. Chris Kane (24) - 2020

17. Michael O'Halloran (28) – 2021

14. Stevie May (26) – 2021 + 1

22. Callum Hendry (21) - 2020 

any suggestion that I should move Michael O’Halloran will result in instant cancellation. If you have already been cancelled, RandomGuy will be round at your house later to show you his minging nails IN PERSON. 

33 minutes ago, Kyle said:

RandomGuy will be round at your house later to show you his minging nails IN PERSON. 

Make joke about Radford, two days later Kyle makes joke about me.

You're such a prison bitch, Kyle.

I’ve never seen myself in the same place as Radford before... 

Steven Anderson is a legend, an amazing servant and leaves with nothing but our best wishes. It’s fair to say that over the last 18 months he’s fallen below the required standard in the top flight but I think he’ll still do a good job in league one. 

Doubt we’ll see another one like him. A real rock and omnipresent during the most successful period in our entire history. 

1 hour ago, SometimesShitRaith said:

Steven Anderson any good?

One of the best non-old firm centre backs in the Premiership of the last decade.  An integral part of a St Johnstone side who were largely built on a solid defence, that achieved 6 top six finishes in a row, three fourth places in a row, 5 seasons in Europe and a Scottish Cup win.  Scoring a goal in the final.

An old fashioned centre half that will stick his head on anything, will throw himself into blocks and challenges. A man who cares about winning.  He also provides a genuine threat at set pieces.  Will moan constantly at teammates.

His distribution is not a strength, and he has always had it in him to slice a clearance off into the stand throughout his career, or similar erratic moments. Overall though he's been an excellent player for us.

Hes out of favour at Saints now, cos our manager likes the idea of filling the back 4 with young players who look the part, are decent on the ball, love to build from the back, and guarantee the opposition a goal every game, sometimes more.  

If Rovers were to get Steven Anderson, he'd be a brilliant signing who would probably be the best player in the division.

Good player who poses a goal threat at set pieces up front and as stated above not scared to throw himself into challenges and blocks.  Weaknesses are his distribution and his positioning sense. Played best alongside dominating experienced centre halves like Wright and  Dubs.

Edited by St Innes

20 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Hes out of favour at Saints now, cos our manager likes the idea of filling the back 4 with young players who look the part, are decent on the ball, love to build from the back, and guarantee the opposition a goal every game, sometimes more.  

Agree with the rest of your post apart from this ^^^, Ando is out because he's past it at this level. He's now even a bomb scare as a back up player. He needs to be playing every week and league 1 is probably a level he'll compete in and hopefully excel.  Fairwell Ando, thanks for that goal.

Edited by tree house tam

The quality that Steven Anderson possessed is not in question. You look at how successful a side we were with him at the heart of it and that is obvious. He was never the biggest or quickest so had to be a proper defender and he was one of the best in the top division. 

He's done at this level but Frazer Wright showed that a drop down a league or two can prolong a career and I hope that's the case with Anderson. He's only 33.

3 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Agree with the rest of your post apart from this ^^^, Ando is out because he's past it at this level. He's now even a bomb scare as a back up player. He needs to be playing every week and league 1 is probably a level he'll compete in and hopefully excel.  Fairwell Ando, thanks for that goal.

It's provocative Tam. Gets the people going.

Wasn't being entirely serious, though I don't think we should ever underestimate how formidable a defensive unit we've had over the past decade or so, with Ando being a massive part of that.  But I'm not calling for him to be selected in our starting eleven!

I'm still optimistic that Tommy can sort our young defence into a good unit, as there's individual talent there.  Also, last season we were struggling a bit defensively then nailed 6 clean sheets in a row and began to look the part, so it can take time.

However, no matter how many attributes, and how much of a baller any defender is, first and foremost he's there to stop the opposition from getting chances, and that should be the primary criteria he's judged on.  That's where I think defenders like Wright and Ando are/ were underrated, because they don't fit the mould of what folk feel the modern centre back should be.

19 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

LThat's where I think defenders like Wright and Ando are/ were underrated, because they don't fit the mould of what folk feel the modern centre back should be.

They need to be good on the ball now, I'd be surprised if most CBs in the league dont top the "time in possession" stats for their clubs.

Anderson was a great defender, and a great person, but his time here was over last season, never mind this year. Kerr and Gordon, while still raw, deserve their chance to play and have surpassed him, Shaughnessy had too. 

I'm not convinced Vihmann is a better option, but being less worse than someone shouldn't be a criteria for keeping someone around.

Ideally we use the Anderson/McMillan freed up funds to bring in someone capable of playing CB well at this level.

59 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They need to be good on the ball now, I'd be surprised if most CBs in the league dont top the "time in possession" stats for their clubs.

Anderson was a great defender, and a great person, but his time here was over last season, never mind this year. Kerr and Gordon, while still raw, deserve their chance to play and have surpassed him, Shaughnessy had too. 

I'm not convinced Vihmann is a better option, but being less worse than someone shouldn't be a criteria for keeping someone around.

Ideally we use the Anderson/McMillan freed up funds to bring in someone capable of playing CB well at this level.

Anderson/McMillan/ McClean

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's no different from how its always been in Scotland.  We don't play it on the ground or build from the back anymore now than we did 20 or 30 years ago.

Ideally yes, a centre half has the full package; a strong defender with good positional sense, great in the tackle, at making  interceptions and blocks, dominant in the air, good communicator, physically strong with good pace, provide a goal threat from set pieces, comfortable in possession and can build play with a good range of passing.

Theres your Virgil Van Dijk right there.

Unfortunately, you're not always (ever?) going to get all of that at our level, so you maybe have to prioritise. And being good at the defensive duties should be the top priority.

Scottish football has had a fair few imposters playing centre half over the years, players who loved to spray passes about and looked the part, but weren't that keen or good on the defensive duties.

6 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

It's no different from how its always been in Scotland.  We don't play it on the ground or build from the back anymore now than we did 20 or 30 years ago.

Ideally yes, a centre half has the full package; a strong defender with good positional sense, great in the tackle, at making  interceptions and blocks, dominant in the air, good communicator, physically strong with good pace, provide a goal threat from set pieces, comfortable in possession and can build play with a good range of passing.

Theres your Virgil Van Dijk right there.

Unfortunately, you're not always (ever?) going to get all of that at our level, so you maybe have to prioritise. And being good at the defensive duties should be the top priority.

Scottish football has had a fair few imposters playing centre half over the years, players who loved to spray passes about and looked the part, but weren't that keen or good on the defensive duties.

All fair points tbh. Cant argue.