Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Anderson would be better than Jason Kerr at the moment who is making too many mistakes and is developing into a bomb scare. Thought Wallace Duffy did well until the slip which led to the goal and we should give him more games to give him the experience.

8 minutes ago, akuram said:

Anderson would be better than Jason Kerr at the moment who is making too many mistakes and is developing into a bomb scare. Thought Wallace Duffy did well until the slip which led to the goal and we should give him more games to give him the experience.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

1 minute ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

What’s the chances tomorrow all we will get is Ralston on loan,  and a big spiel about how hard we tried to get deals done, and how we have to remember that free agents can still be signed after the window closes 

Nah SB is going to go nuts

Mega day of arrivals featuring at least Alan Hutton, Jason Holt, Macca, a Man United left back and at least one more goalkeeper

Edited by steviemay17

Another thought I’ve had from yesterday’s game was how little the wide players and midfielders actually want to give the ball to Kane. They know they aren’t getting it back so instead try and take 2/3 men on instead. A decent striker (that may be May) will help Kennedy and O’Halloran no end I feel.

Big day. Those that have pleaded for patience and assured the doubters that the signings will come face their own day of reckoning as much as the manager and chairman. They may forever be tarred with the stench of herring. 

The manager clearly doesn't want Anderson and McMillan and he'd presumably rather have someone else ahead of Callachan, although he can probably work his way back in if he's still here at the end of the day. 

• GKs (3): Clark, Parish, Johnstone. 
  • FBs (2): Duffy, Tanser. 
  • CBs (3): Kerr, Gordon, Vihmann. 
  • MFs (5): Craig, Davidson, Callachan, McCann, McClean. 
  • WFs/AMs: (5): Wotherspoon, Wright, O'Halloran, Kennedy, Swanson. 
  • CFs (3): May, Kane, Hendry. 

Duffy is probably going to be viewed as the fourth centre back, so two full backs are the absolute bare minimum required. If we end up shopping in the bargain bucket (i.e. after window closes) for a left back, it's a shocking reflection on the recruitment strategy. 

The centre of the park needs strengthened but that'll mean getting at least one of Callachan or McClean out on loan. Both could probably go as it would still leave us with four players there (plus Wotherspoon) if someone comes in. Those two out and another Goss in leaves us weaker through. 

I could live without another striker, as Kennedy or O'Halloran will have to play in that area if he wants to accommodate both of them and Wright. I believe Callum Hendry can play a part for us but if they think they can get a good loan for him and bring someone in until January that would match his contribution, then that could work.

5 minutes ago, Radford said:

Big day. Those that have pleaded for patience and assured the doubters that the signings will come face their own day of reckoning as much as the manager and chairman. They may forever be tarred with the stench of herring. 

And knickerwetters, which the new Radford has shown small glimpses of, should face their reckoning when we stay up with basically this squad of shite players.

I'm not sure just  staying up is good enough given the players we have in some positions of the park. Our wide options are as good as anyone outside the top 2 and we have pockets of quality elsewhere too. 

I've found this window so frustrating because you can see the potential in this team and that the right signings in 2 or 3 positions and adding experience in the right places (along with a bit of luck on the injury front) would make all the difference.

Hopefully those who suggested there's a grander plan are proven right today. I don't think Ralston is a particularly encouraging start but lets see where we are at midnight tonight.

Edited by Kyle

23 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

And knickerwetters, which the new Radford has shown small glimpses of, should face their reckoning when we stay up with basically this squad of shite players.

We were told we'd have a great squad by the end of the window. The deal was never that it doesn't matter who we'll sign because we might just about be not shite enough to get relegated. 

I can't wait for these quality signings today. 

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

We were told we'd have a great squad by the end of the window. The deal was never that it doesn't matter who we'll sign because we might just about be not shite enough to get relegated. 

I can't wait for these quality signings today. 

Things change as you well know. There's no getting away from the shambles of the window so far, or that Tommy has built an unbalanced squad. Most people at the start of the season would have been ok with 3 or 4 quality players coming in, we have a former Scotland striker and club hero signed, an international CB signed, with 2 more/maybe 3 to come in. Whether that's good enough no one knows but I'm willing to wait and see, to give it a chance, without clapping like a sea lion.

I think you're right - 3 or 4 quality players would have been more than acceptable. In reality though, we're looking at 1 guaranteed quality player out of 6, another, two loans that might come good, a project that isn't ready yet and two back up goalkeepers who we'll only ever see if Clark is injured. Wright seems to have taken the 'ageing' squad critique from journalists and those wanky twitter analysts to heart and taken us too far the other way in terms of experience.

Considering the quality we've lost, I don't think this represents a good enough window for us. There's no obvious whipping boys in the league (although we're showing worrying signs that it might be us) and we've no divine right to stay up. After the next two matches - Aberdeen away and Rangers at home - we could be bottom by at least a couple of points and possibly more. I'm not sure I'd back this squad to pull us out of that - there doesn't seem to be many winners in the Maclean/Millar mould kicking around the squad.