Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Delighted with the Ferguson deal tbh, feels like hes going to be outstanding. It'll possibly just take a May-esque Summer bulking up for him to be ready for the top flight. Probably this time next year we can be talking about how to work him into the starting line up.

MacPherson, Phillips, Ferguson could be outstanding as a trio in CM. But we'll probably never see it.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Delighted with the Ferguson deal tbh, feels like hes going to be outstanding. It'll possibly just take a May-esque Summer bulking up for him to be ready for the top flight. Probably this time next year we can be talking about how to work him into the starting line up.

MacPherson, Phillips, Ferguson could be outstanding as a trio in CM. But we'll probably never see it.

And wee Max...

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

We have a lot  of work to do in terms of contracts too. Just from the list of senior players (loans included as they'll either have to be replaced or re-negotiated most likely too;

Remi Matthews

Elliot Parish 

James Brown

Alex Mitchell

Adam Montgomery

David Wotherspoon

Murray Davidson

Charlie Gilmour 

Melker Hallberg

Alex Ferguson

Michael O’Halloran

Connor McLennan

Jamie Murphy

Chris Kane

Eetu Vertainen

Given how safe we are, how successful we've been and how amazing  our squad is, it's really a wonder that we're not doing more to tie up some of these players. Very strange.

From that list, Wotherspoon, Brown and Kane are the only ones you'd think will definitely be offered new deals. Hallberg is very expensive and doesn't really produce much, Ferguson should be offered a deal but this manager is an idiot. The rest, god knows.

I'm not sure what's worse, the list above or the names not featured on that list that'll still be with us beyond this summer.

We should be talking to Phillips about extending as well.  Ferguson signing is good news.   Hallberg can go - too expensive for signing little return (this season).

16 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

He must, surely, be different with the players than he is with the media?

10 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

And wee Max...

Aye but in 12 months we'll have sold him for £1m+.

Punt Carey this Summer. Wee Max takes his place. Sell Max next Summer. Ferguson takes his place.

Different types of players but evolution is king.

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He must, surely, be different with the players than he is with the media?

Aye but in 12 months we'll have sold him for £1m+.

Punt Carey this Summer. Wee Max takes his place. Sell Max next Summer. Ferguson takes his place.

Different types of players but evolution is king.

Ultimately with two guys showing up really well down the leagues there are green shoots for us to build on here. I suspect Ferguson may need six months to a year in the Championship next season and hopefully Max does exactly as you say.

Plenty of guys we can move on this summer and there are obvious areas where we need to strengthen. Do you trust the manager to do that though? The record isn't giving much confidence.

Just now, Jamie_Beatson said:

Ultimately with two guys showing up really well down the leagues there are green shoots for us to build on here. I suspect Ferguson may need six months to a year in the Championship next season and hopefully Max does exactly as you say.

Plenty of guys we can move on this summer and there are obvious areas where we need to strengthen. Do you trust the manager to do that though? The record isn't giving much confidence.

You could definitely build a younger squad this Summer, without having to sign too many, if you wanted.

Sometimes i still try and convince myself the signings last Summer and use of players this season was just about steadying the ship after last season, and that we'll see younger players trusted more next season once a "core" is in place to secure things.

Then you actually look at our season and realise theres no reliable core there to turn too, in the way TW could fall back onto certain players when in a rut, and you see interviews like the one posted with Davidson, where it reads like hes terrified of taking any risks because to him we're always going to be on the precipice of relegation. Makes it hard to believe hes not just going to forever rely on experience and "trust" over everything else.

42 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sometimes i still try and convince myself the signings last Summer and use of players this season was just about steadying the ship after last season, and that we'll see younger players trusted more next season once a "core" is in place to secure things.

You try to convince yourself but it doesn't work though I presume?

Davidson isn't the only one with this issue but managers in our league do not play younger players. 

My issue is less about age and more about under performance. If the younger players can't get a chance when the team arent exactly doing over well when will they get a chance?

Davidsons evident fear of relegation also all but confirms to be he'll just continue on with the "trusted" players as giving youth a chance is "risky".

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

3 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

You try to convince yourself but it doesn't work though I presume?

Davidson isn't the only one with this issue but managers in our league do not play younger players. 

4 of our last 5 opponents have played teenagers against us.

16 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

The teams haven't in any volume though. Especially Scottish players. 

Yeah it seems to be overarching problem just now, mix of fear of failure causing low risk managers + any decent young talent often being snapped up by English sides before 18.

I just worry our manager sees experience as more important than quality sometimes. Kilmarnock seem to have rejuvenated their entire side by bring 18yo David Watson in to start games. McInnes indentifying a young player already at the club to solve the static, low energy, midfield problem thats plagued them all season. Our manager recognised we needed more creativity in attack last Summer, looked past our own young players and instead went straight for 2 33yo's.

Even within the league, Davidson is reluctant to blood his own youth. Ill forever find it bizarre thats hes more than happy to players young players hes brought in on loan though, does he just value the youth systems elsewhere higher?

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 hours ago, The Saintee said:

I'm at least mildly relieved that he seems to have finally grasped the basics of the English language and realised that 'We have no given right to be in this league' means something completely different from 'We have no right to be in this league'. I'm proud of his character development over the past twelve months.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Same here. Also tried convincing myself that the reason for the summer’s business was because a few younger players had been brought in in January, so he was essentially supplementing the squad with a few experienced players - obviously that wasn’t the case. I’m still prepared to reserve a bit of judgement and see what he does this summer, but I think a lot of that patience will be dependent on what happens with Sinclair when (if) we’re safe. Still gives me the absolute fear though. 

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

I'm at least mildly relieved that he seems to have finally grasped the basics of the English language and realised that 'We have no given right to be in this league' means something completely different from 'We have no right to be in this league'. I'm proud of his character development over the past twelve months.

That's a very fair point.  I'm still averse to the adverse effect his negative interviews have on the fans and how they affect the morale of the team.

5 minutes ago, The Marly said:

That's a very fair point.  I'm still averse to the adverse effect his negative interviews have on the fans and how they affect the morale of the team.

Couldn’t have said it better myself their