Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

How close would you rate the home game v Gretna?

7 hours ago, The Marly said:

The Gretna game was great, but it didn't compare to the Airdrie one. 

3 hours ago, THE FAT MAN said:

No comparison in my opinion 

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Gretna was nothing compared to Airdrie, absolutely nothing.

I think McDiarmid being new that season was a big part of it as well.  Just a brilliant time to follow Saints; in 3 seasons we climbed from bottom league to premier playing great attacking football, a Scottish cup semi final along the way as a part-time club, and a move to a new stadium.

This after the club being at its lowest ebb just a year or two previous.

On 31/03/2023 at 19:46, The Saintee said:

I thought Carey was meant to be our "maverick". 

On the man himself, there was a really strange passage of play in the game today where he got booked. It was almost as if he was actively trying to get himself booked, had 2,3 different goes at it and then when he was booked, just kind of shrugged and walked away. Just stood out as slightly odd....

6 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

On the man himself, there was a really strange passage of play in the game today where he got booked. It was almost as if he was actively trying to get himself booked, had 2,3 different goes at it and then when he was booked, just kind of shrugged and walked away. Just stood out as slightly odd....

Gave the ball away and Aberdeen broke - not quite sure it was at the take one for the team stage but it’s easier to say that sat in the stand with a view of the whole pitch. Can see why he thought he had to though. 

11 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I'm going to caveat that with I'm not sure the manager agrees. Especially when the debate turns the length of the deal. 

Do you sign up another 33yo when you have Carey (34 this Summer) and Crawford (32 this Summer) already signed up for next season and youre trying to find a way for Max to slot in too?

Id have Wotherspoon ahead of either Crawford or Carey but the decision was made to commit to them for next season so thats where we're at. The 3yr deal for Crawford remains one of the most stupid bits of business ive ever seen and if it costs us Wotherspoon it becomes even worse, but the squad surely has to be smaller, cheaper, and younger, next season.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Do you sign up another 33yo when you have Carey (34 this Summer) and Crawford (32 this Summer) already signed up for next season and youre trying to find a way for Max to slot in too?

Id have Wotherspoon ahead of either Crawford or Carey but the decision was made to commit to them for next season so thats where we're at. The 3yr deal for Crawford remains one of the most stupid bits of business ive ever seen and if it costs us Wotherspoon it becomes even worse, but the squad surely has to be smaller, cheaper, and younger, next season.

We need to fire Carey into the sun in the summer. If we lose Wotherspoon and still have that other pair contracted next season it will be a disgrace.

Next week’s game is huge for us now. Win it and we’re safe, lose it and there’s a huge chance we get dragged right back into it coming up to the split.

5 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

We need to fire Carey into the sun in the summer. If we lose Wotherspoon and still have that other pair contracted next season it will be a disgrace.

Yup, but theres absolutely zero chance anyone is buying a 34yo Carey whos struggling for us though, same with Crawford. So itll cost us just to get rid of them.

The flurry of multi-year deals is still going to f**k us for a few years yet too. I like both May and Clark but tying ourselves to both, on decent deals, until 2025 is quite clearly going to hinder our chances of signing another striker until then. Probably means we'll stumble on with those two + hoping Kane reaches levels he used too, and we can find a decent loanee. The facts Clark having a second surgery on his ankle in a few years should be a red flag but its too late now.

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

As magnificent as that embarrassing pitch. 

He's also partly to blame for that if the clubs "explanations" are to be believed.

The reasoning the club have given is it needed work and then allowed something like a minimum 12 weeks to bed in but because his team were shite and finished 11th so there wasn't enough time between the playoff and the League cup starting so they were back using it again after like 4 weeks 🤷 

The East Stand attendance seemed very sparse yesterday.

Have to wonder if the below home record (nicked from Random on match thread) is starting to hit gates. If I didn't have a season ticket I certainly wouldn't be turning up for it.

20/21 - 19 games, 5 wins, 9 goals

21/22 - 19 games, 5 wins, 15 goals

22/23 - 14 games, 3 wins, 14 goals

Davidson is the main reason for that record, but there is also the general malaise / drift from the club in general - the pitch, Rangers ticketing, and a host of other recent half arsed efforts.

And that isn't going to change until we get new / engaged owners - and if we get bad new owners, it could even get worse. So the club not being sold and limping into another season of this for 23/24 isn't even the worst case scenario....exciting times.

Edited by monkfish

Thought Jamie Murphy very good off the bench yesterday, as he generally is when he gets minutes here and there. Still wouldn't be in my first choice team though. Tommy Wright never had the luxury of being able to use players of that quality as bit-part players.

With the players and depth available to the manager, the 9th place finish we're hurtling toward is a big disappointment and shouldn't be viewed in any other way. Again, TW never finished that low. 

It’s a bit shit that Murphy doesn’t fit the shape the manager doesn’t prefer, always looks decent when given a bit of an opportunity and nice to have somebody on the pitch who can go by players either way. 

Edited by PSJ.84

The thing is, you could accommodate Murphy by switching to a back 4, which is something we should be doing I think. Let May drift as a 10, play Rudden up top and have Wotherspoon and Murphy on the wings, but playing narrow to allow Wright and Montgomery to play wide and get forward like they’re good at. 

I also think the last few games have shown that Considine is slowing down and maybe isn’t the reliable player he was at the start of the season. He’s looking slower by the game and isn’t exactly making experienced choices right now. 

Out of Murphy and Carey, Murphy always brings far more energy when he comes on. He is always looking to drive forward at pace, which is something I feel we don’t have a lot of in the team.

He’s definitely been unfortunate in his lack of opportunities with us.

Top six frittered away since December.
An absolute nothing of a season that’s seen us out of both cups at the first opportunity and comfortably finishing bottom six, without even a close chase to get excited about.  Another season of dire lack of goals, wins and entertainment at home.  Not seeing a side being developed for the future or a different style of play to get excited about for next season.  The introduction of the excitement vacuum that is VAR and an enforced 5 week break due to a World Cup nobody wanted.  Still, over a fifth of the league season to go…