Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

11 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Do they have any big strikers of African descent? If not there's one in Copenhagens squad who loves Mcdiarmid and could do with a game.

…..who? 

7 minutes ago, mizfit said:

…..who? 

Theres Karamoko who was at LASK.

Issue is hes French and didnt score at McDiarmid...

Fed up of reading we are still punching above our weight 14 years after promotion. For these people, how many more years do they want in the Premiership before we become an established top league club in their eyes? It's not even being overly ambitious what we want to see. I'm not asking for cup finals every year and Europe, 45 minutes of decent football would be a good start.

I do think that, at times, we have punched above our weight over the last fourteen seasons.  If we were to finish fourth or fifth,  I'd consider that punching above our weight.  However, we are NOT punching above our weight just by being in the Premiership.  Given our budget/status and recent history I think that's where I think we should expect to be.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Theres Karamoko who was at LASK.

Issue is hes French and didnt score at McDiarmid...

Of African descent I said.

He never scored at Mcdiarmid I'll give you that.

Mourinho was right, every good team needs an African striker.

Edited by tree house tam

A few of the Twitter detractors seem to be under the impression that my 'disconnect' to the club must be related to our current league position. That isn't the case. It's related to pretty much everything else: our transfer policy, our tactics, the manager's pre and post-match interviews, his treatment of players, the amateurish way that the club continues to deal with issues off-the-pitch... The list goes on and on. If we were currently in the exact same league position, but we had an ambitious manager and a team of players that I was invested in, it wouldn't bother me so much.

So first and foremost, that's what bothers me most. But yes, a top six finish would also be nice.

9 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

A few of the Twitter detractors seem to be under the impression that my 'disconnect' to the club must be related to our current league position. That isn't the case. It's related to pretty much everything else: our transfer policy, our tactics, the manager's pre and post-match interviews, his treatment of players, the amateurish way that the club continues to deal with issues off-the-pitch... The list goes on and on. If we were currently in the exact same league position, but we had an ambitious manager and a team of players that I was invested in, it wouldn't bother me so much.

So first and foremost, that's what bothers me most. But yes, a top six finish would also be nice.

What you'll find with those people though is is impossible the club can do wrong.  The issue is all yours and it can't possibly be anything the club has done.

Are you getting middle-aged mansplained? "The youth of today have no idea how bad it was in the past" 🥱

8 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

What you'll find with those people though is is impossible the club can do wrong.  The issue is all yours and it can't possibly be anything the club has done.

Are you getting middle-aged mansplained? "The youth of today have no idea how bad it was in the past" 🥱

61E86684-F10D-40E5-9E24-33104ED65A2D.jpeg

9FF9B85A-0822-40B9-A500-7D9E59A220C8.png

7 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

61E86684-F10D-40E5-9E24-33104ED65A2D.jpeg

9FF9B85A-0822-40B9-A500-7D9E59A220C8.png

He "recently done things". 

What about even more recently being consistently useless? When does the covid season no longer become and excuse? 🤷‍♂️

It's like the two cups make everything else excusable. More than half of the covid season we weren't very good either.

We've been crap pretty but consistently since. 

Do they actually attend games?

9 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Did Callum Davidson have a say in the departures of McCann and Kerr? I'm sure he said that it was partly his decision at the time, but not sure where to locate those quotes now.

As much as I think Davidson needs to be gone, it is a bit far fetched to think Davidson had any kind of a say as to whether Kerr and McCann would be staying or going. They were always to be sold regardless of what Davidson thought. Its not as if Brown would turn down the cash because Davidson still wanted them in the team. Whatever Davidson may have said about it, was 100% him trying to inflate his influence at the club.

Otherwise on Davidson, I totally agree with the majority view thst he has us regressing. I can take a poor season or two if you can see something building, but everything just seems so short term at the club at the moment, on and off the pitch. Club is in paralysis. 

There's zero point in having any kind of engagement with the happy clappers.  

Another argument appears to be, " he's building something". 

Building what exactly with loan players and guys in their mid 30s?

Edited by The Saintee

8 hours ago, The Saintee said:

There's zero point in having any kind of engagement with the happy clappers.  

Another argument appears to be, " he's building something". 

Building what exactly with loan players and guys in their mid 30s?

Its funny how the easiest way to find out Callum Davidsons thoughts is to listen to them though. 

Yer man @NYD1997 clearly speaks to him, the whole drama 12 months ago proved that. So straight off the bat you can know that Davidson thinks if we do anything but play a back 5 regularly we'll be thumped. Why he then lies and, regularly, talks about how hes not wedded to that system and is "adaptable" is beyond me.

We can also tell he thinks simply staying in the division is an achievement and fans expecting more than slogging away to avoiding relegation are deluded, but we knew that was his mindset anyway.

We can also tell hes defending his transfer policy by telling people hes just rebuilding the club after last season. Why hes rebuilding with over 30s players and not youth is beyond me (TW had a "rebuild" in 17/18. His defence by the end of that season included Tanser (22), Kerr (20), Shaugnessy (24). His midfield had Wotherspoon (27), Alston (25), and Scougall (24). Up front he bled Kane (22) in up front. The over 30s with 1000+ mins were Mannus (35, had started sharing minutes with Clark), Anderson (31), Foster (31), Craig (30), Paton (30), MacLean (34)

We have Considine (35), McGowan (33), Carey (33), Murphy (33), May (30), Clark (31) all on 1000+ mins with Wotherspoon (33) probably next in line to hit it. The under 25s that we've had are Gallacher (23, 216 mins, stuck behind a loanee), Mahon (23, 0 mins, stuck behind 2 30+ yos), Brown (25, 1437 mins), MacPherson (24, 954 mins), Phillips (22, 866 mins), Max (20, 133 mins, stuck behind 3 33yos), Ballantyne (22, 0 mins), Bair (23, 543 mins).

So aye, the "rebuild" is literally just Brown, MacPherson and Phillips. MacPherson turns 25 this year and Phillips was stuck on the bench until injury forced him in.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its funny how the easiest way to find out Callum Davidsons thoughts is to listen to them though. 

Yer man @NYD1997 clearly speaks to him, the whole drama 12 months ago proved that. So straight off the bat you can know that Davidson thinks if we do anything but play a back 5 regularly we'll be thumped. Why he then lies and, regularly, talks about how hes not wedded to that system and is "adaptable" is beyond me.

We can also tell he thinks simply staying in the division is an achievement and fans expecting more than slogging away to avoiding relegation are deluded, but we knew that was his mindset anyway.

We can also tell hes defending his transfer policy by telling people hes just rebuilding the club after last season. Why hes rebuilding with over 30s players and not youth is beyond me (TW had a "rebuild" in 17/18. His defence by the end of that season included Tanser (22), Kerr (20), Shaugnessy (24). His midfield had Wotherspoon (27), Alston (25), and Scougall (24). Up front he bled Kane (22) in up front. The over 30s with 1000+ mins were Mannus (35, had started sharing minutes with Clark), Anderson (31), Foster (31), Craig (30), Paton (30), MacLean (34)

We have Considine (35), McGowan (33), Carey (33), Murphy (33), May (30), Clark (31) all on 1000+ mins with Wotherspoon (33) probably next in line to hit it. The under 25s that we've had are Gallacher (23, 216 mins, stuck behind a loanee), Mahon (23, 0 mins, stuck behind 2 30+ yos), Brown (25, 1437 mins), MacPherson (24, 954 mins), Phillips (22, 866 mins), Max (20, 133 mins, stuck behind 3 33yos), Ballantyne (22, 0 mins), Bair (23, 543 mins).

So aye, the "rebuild" is literally just Brown, MacPherson and Phillips. MacPherson turns 25 this year and Phillips was stuck on the bench until injury forced him in.

Scougall was shite though.

8 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Scougall was shite though.

Aye, but the idea was there and he got a chance to prove he wasnt up to it.

Not every signing works, and not every young player makes it, but youve to at least try and build a younger squad and give them some experience before their mid-20s. Folk like Gallacher, Ballantyne and Max are all going to over 21 next season and how many top flight games do they have between them? While TW used his rebuilding season to give game time to a lot of younger ones so they were prepped for actually stepping in.

34 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Apologies for butting in. 

Coming off the train on Saturday where would it be best pub wise to watch the Scotland game? 

The Grill.