Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Yes I’m afraid a dinner at the concert hall or similar for a few hundred hangers on can get to f**k. 

It should have been a big celebration for the entire support, the town and surrounding area as soon as covid allowed.

Rather than a few grand on a finger buffet, I’d rather we spent money on a statue, monument or mural outside the ground, or even in the east stand if that’s all we can afford.  

Its the greatest achievement by any Scottish football club in history and deserves permanent recognition at McDiarmid.

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

I think it would be frankly embarrassing to try and do something now. What, we go and ask the current holders if we can borrow the cups for the day and stick blue ribbons on them? The club missed the boat.

The only things that will happen now are some dinners etc for those close to the club and inevitable gatherings of the squad in future years.

Wasn't there, but was it really explained what fans were consulted prior to the rangers game and whether the club did anything to try and correct it?

It will leave a bitter taste for many for a lomg time to come. 

Agree it feels pretty empty doing something now - the moment has probably gone. Although I’d still more than likely go, were anything to be arranged. 

I got the feeling that nobody really wanted to go back to the Rangers game last night. Flaherty addressing it before any questions were taken probably had an impact on that though 

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Rather than a few grand on a finger buffet, I’d rather we spent money on a statue, monument or mural outside the ground, or even in the east stand if that’s all we can afford.  

It’s the greatest achievement by any Scottish football club in history and deserves permanent recognition at McDiarmid.

I’m on board with this idea, to give McDiarmid a bit of life as much as anything else. It doesn’t really help the Lego-stadium-feeling that the only thing to greet you on your way in is a rusting fence and a crumbling car park. There’s a real lack on personality and the whole place is just grey

2 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

I’m on board with this idea, to give McDiarmid a bit of life as much as anything else. It doesn’t really help the Lego-stadium-feeling that the only thing to greet you on your way in is a rusting fence and a crumbling car park. There’s a real lack on personality and the whole place is just grey

Personally, I’m in favour of commissioning a statue of Dave Mackay & Jason Kerr holding the trophies from each win. Would probably be a fortune, but stick that up the top of the Crieff road, or at the other side on the new road. 

A Mural in the east would be nice too, but probably not possible.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes I’m afraid a dinner at the concert hall or similar for a few hundred hangers on can get to f**k. 

It should have been a big celebration for the entire support, the town and surrounding area as soon as covid allowed.

Its the greatest achievement by any Scottish football club in history and deserves permanent recognition at McDiarmid.

I think a statue would be a great idea.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Personally, I’m in favour of commissioning a statue of Dave Mackay & Jason Kerr holding the trophies from each win. Would probably be a fortune, but stick that up the top of the Crieff road, or at the other side on the new road. 

Here's a question, did Kerr and MacKay ever play in the same team together? I can't think that they did, despite being in the squad around the same time. 

13 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Here's a question, did Kerr and MacKay ever play in the same team together? I can't think that they did, despite being in the squad around the same time. 

They missed each other in the league im sure. Mackay fell off a cliff before we brought Foster in didnt he? And Foster was first choice when Kerr broke through.

Half wondered if they played in Mackays testimonial together but cant remember Kerr in that game (tbf all i remember is Sheerin/Morris strolling it and Roddy Grant faceplanting).

3 hours ago, mizfit said:

Personally I think it should be more abstract than meant to be a specific player but I love the idea of honouring both sets of cup wins.

9 hours ago, Fife Saint said:

Lets face it, any commissioned statue would be utterly shite. A cheap grotesque troglodyte.

44278679_605.jpg

Haha this and many others are why I suggested it should be abstract.

anthonly gormley-esque faceless figures hold the cups aloft are def the best bet.

In fact go full Gormley and get an Angle of the North style colossus built on top of Kinnoull hill. So Dundee & United fans can see it on their way to most away games. 😂

Edited by gingermunkie

6 hours ago, The Saintee said:

A statute?

They couldn't even agree on a memorial wall for fans because apparently Dundee United regret doing theirs 🤷‍♂️

The solution is simple, a painted mural on the curved wall between the ormond and the east with the best images from both cup wins. Visible to most home fans and away from defacing from away fans.

The other pretty obvious things are renaming some of the hospitality suites or element in the ground. Sometime like the 32 minute suite, the double bar etc etc. 

21 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

They missed each other in the league im sure. Mackay fell off a cliff before we brought Foster in didnt he? And Foster was first choice when Kerr broke through.

Half wondered if they played in Mackays testimonial together but cant remember Kerr in that game (tbf all i remember is Sheerin/Morris strolling it and Roddy Grant faceplanting).

It's a bit harsh to say Mackay "fell off a cliff". That suggests his performances were shite. The guy was forced to retire because of a serious hip injury. 

I’m glad people are pointing out how poor the minutes were and, frankly, how shite a lot of the explanations are.  My impression of it being a complete shitshow at the club right now hasn’t really shifted (aside from Bev in her SLO role as I’ve mentioned before).  I didn’t want to say anything because I feel I’m constantly negative about the club but the whole operation has disenfranchised me completely over the last 18 months or so. 

I’d be curious to know how they decided who’s on the steering group too. I don’t remember them asking for volunteers to be on it so I’m guessing they were handpicked and/or had some involvement with supporter groups? Is there any way to relay concerns/items you want brought up at these meetings? I don’t see anything like that in the minutes or any way to get in contact with them(unless you know the individuals) which defeats the purpose somewhat. Kind of feels like a reinvention of the secret seven. 

Edited by Kyle

It looked like they reached out to fans well known to the club already. 

Podcast guy. Taggart guy. The guy that set up the disabled supporters group ( who comes across very well). I didn't know the other guy though. 

To flesh it out they asked for volunteers and basically just went with the ones that stuck up their hands. Nobody from the FCU put their hand up and none of the women their did either. 

Absolutely nothing was said of the on the pitch performance over the last two seasons or about the signings. One guy tried to start a conversation right at the end but was pretty much ignored. 

MacPherson refused to take part despite being asked to.

4 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

It looked like they reached out to fans well known to the club already. 

Podcast guy. Taggart guy. The guy that set up the disabled supporters group ( who comes across very well). I didn't know the other guy though. 

To flesh it out they asked for volunteers and basically just went with the ones that stuck up their hands. Nobody from the FCU put their hand up and none of the women their did either. 

Absolutely nothing was said of the on the pitch performance over the last two seasons or about the signings. One guy tried to start a conversation right at the end but was pretty much ignored. 

MacPherson refused to take part despite being asked to.

The gentleman that I can't remember the name of who was responsible for the disabled supporters club was also in the "secret 7's" that everyone is still a wee bit upset about. 

Not met him that many times but does seem a nice guy and has always came across well when I've spoke to him, like you've also pointed out. 

3 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

The solution is simple, a painted mural on the curved wall between the ormond and the east with the best images from both cup wins. Visible to most home fans and away from defacing from away fans.

The other pretty obvious things are renaming some of the hospitality suites or element in the ground. Sometime like the 32 minute suite, the double bar etc etc. 

I think you’re on the right track. 

Definitely too late for the ‘big’ celebration that should’ve happened two years ago.

But definitely not too late to continually shout it from the rooftops that we are double cup winners!

A bit like the name of this thread, we should be referring to ourselves as ‘double cup winners St  Johnstone FC’ and celebrating the fact as much as possible from now into eternity. It’ll probably never happen again for any club outwith the old firm FFS! The place should be plastered with stuff about it. So disappointed that they’ve barely recognised their own achievement. It’s quite saddening to me actually. 

8 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

In what sense? 

I was at the back and MacPherson came up and sat just behind me in the corner of the suite. Just before the meet started Flaherty came up and asked him to join the top table.

MacPherson replied that he "didn't want to" and "it's not my thing".

Edited by The Saintee