Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

24 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Raith and (I think) Falkirk. Can't remember which way round it was said to me though. 

Would assume Raith is Bair and Max Falkirk, considering who they have signed.

Struggling to see the logic in either rejecting moves like that. Both moves seem like theyd have been ideal.

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Struggling to see the logic in either rejecting moves like that. Both moves seem like theyd have been ideal.

Makes no sense to me, unless they think they can force their way into game time. But Max especially isn't even making the squads and it's an absolute travesty that he hasn't had more game time when you think about the numbers given to Crawford, Murphy and Carey combined!

Right so I've been having a little think about next year, as it stands I'd think we will lose the below -

• Parish (retire to GK coach)
  • Mitchell (loan ends)
  • Montgomery (loan ends)
  • Murphy (deal expires)
  • Wotherspoon (off to N.America)
  • Melker Hallberg (he'll get more money elsewhere)
  • Murray Davidson (sorry Muzz but those legs have gone)
  • Cammy Ballantyne (never getting a chance)
  • Charlie Gilmour (not good enough)
  • Connor McLennan (can see him signing a deal with us)
  • Michael O'Hallloran
  • Zak Rudden (loan ends)
  • Eetu Vertinain (Not sure he's even real?)

So that's at least 11 out of the door, I'd add in shifting the likes of Crawford, Booth, etc. but I imagine we're stuck with them. So by my reckoning (assuming we don't get relegated) we need at lease another 5/6 players, maybe even 7 if Chris Kane doesn't get a deal/breaks down and the unthinkable happens and James Brown doesn't get a deal. Could also be less as I'd keep Hallberg in a heartbeat if the deal was right!

In an ideal world (and this is purely hypothetically) here's my like for like suggestions/thoughts -

• Sinclair replaces Parish 
  • New senior goalkeeper is needed, no idea who! Unless Remi fancies another loan to give Sinclair another year to mature?
  • New centre back for cover, I've already said I'd love Robbie Deas as he's a ready made replacement for Considine in a year plus offers cover for the departing Mitchell (as he's never staying)
  • New left back if we can't get Monty back. Someone like Harry Milne at Partick Thistle a realistic option?
  • Potentially a new right back for cover/push Brown. I've already mentioned Johnstone at Motherwell as a young player worth keeping an eye on, he's not signed a new deal and if Motherwell get relegated might want to jump ship for first team games.
  • If McLennan leaves, then we need at least 1 winger to replace him, Murphy and O'Halloran. I'd wager we'd need two. Don't even know where to start with that one, Paton at QoS could be one, but don't think he's as good out wide as he is centrally. 
  • I think Max is the perfect replacement for Spoony based on this seasons contributions.
  • If Hallberg stays then we'd be ok-ish in the middle, if he goes then another midfielder is needed.
  • If Kane/Rudden both depart we'd need another striker. 

For what it's worth, all of the above still applies if we end up getting relegated. The same scenario would happen and then we'd probably lose even more players. None of the names I'm suggesting are that old and are all player in the lower leagues, so would still be potential targets too. I know the above is likely to be seen as FM/fantasy stuff and my head is in the sky, but I'm bored at work and since we didn't have a game this week, probably more positive that normal about it! Either way we'll be losing more than we bring in that's for sure. 

37 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Bair to Raith seemed like one of the most obvious transfers of the season once Frederiksen had been released. Shame as it’d have been a near-perfect move from our point of view. Be interesting to know if Bair was ahead of Goncalves on their list of targets

15 minutes ago, Widge said:

Right so I've been having a little think about next year, as it stands I'd think we will lose the below -

• Parish (retire to GK coach)
  • Mitchell (loan ends)
  • Montgomery (loan ends)
  • Murphy (deal expires)
  • Wotherspoon (off to N.America)
  • Melker Hallberg (he'll get more money elsewhere)
  • Murray Davidson (sorry Muzz but those legs have gone)
  • Cammy Ballantyne (never getting a chance)
  • Charlie Gilmour (not good enough)
  • Connor McLennan (can see him signing a deal with us)
  • Michael O'Hallloran
  • Zak Rudden (loan ends)
  • Eetu Vertinain (Not sure he's even real?)

So that's at least 11 out of the door, I'd add in shifting the likes of Crawford, Booth, etc. but I imagine we're stuck with them. So by my reckoning (assuming we don't get relegated) we need at lease another 5/6 players, maybe even 7 if Chris Kane doesn't get a deal/breaks down and the unthinkable happens and James Brown doesn't get a deal. Could also be less as I'd keep Hallberg in a heartbeat if the deal was right!

In an ideal world (and this is purely hypothetically) here's my like for like suggestions/thoughts -

• Sinclair replaces Parish 
  • New senior goalkeeper is needed, no idea who! Unless Remi fancies another loan to give Sinclair another year to mature?
  • New centre back for cover, I've already said I'd love Robbie Deas as he's a ready made replacement for Considine in a year plus offers cover for the departing Mitchell (as he's never staying)
  • New left back if we can't get Monty back. Someone like Harry Milne at Partick Thistle a realistic option?
  • Potentially a new right back for cover/push Brown. I've already mentioned Johnstone at Motherwell as a young player worth keeping an eye on, he's not signed a new deal and if Motherwell get relegated might want to jump ship for first team games.
  • If McLennan leaves, then we need at least 1 winger to replace him, Murphy and O'Halloran. I'd wager we'd need two. Don't even know where to start with that one, Paton at QoS could be one, but don't think he's as good out wide as he is centrally. 
  • I think Max is the perfect replacement for Spoony based on this seasons contributions.
  • If Hallberg stays then we'd be ok-ish in the middle, if he goes then another midfielder is needed.
  • If Kane/Rudden both depart we'd need another striker. 

For what it's worth, all of the above still applies if we end up getting relegated. The same scenario would happen and then we'd probably lose even more players. None of the names I'm suggesting are that old and are all player in the lower leagues, so would still be potential targets too. I know the above is likely to be seen as FM/fantasy stuff and my head is in the sky, but I'm bored at work and since we didn't have a game this week, probably more positive that normal about it! Either way we'll be losing more than we bring in that's for sure. 

I’d absolutely be up for Harry Milne, if Booth and Gallacher aren’t up to it. Think Murphy has the option of another year but wouldn’t be against the idea of looking at Scott Tiffoney as well, with his contract ending in the summer. There’s probably a more imaginative (and better) alternative out there though

Edited by PSJ.84

Aye Deas would be perfect to replace Considine.

Charlie Fox at Queens Park would be 2nd choice if we're wanting someone trying to move up the way within Scotland, but hes more a CB in a 4 i think so maybe not the best option for a 3.

For interest, looked at @Widges wishlist to see what the RG Doofer Machine thinks.

Robbie Deas

Spoiler

deas.thumb.png.220421a17543cc7c153cd0c2e00923ce.png

Not as good as I expected tbh, but as a "wide CB" in a back three probably has strengths where you want them? Possibly/Probably McCart-esque in that a back 3 hides his defensive weaknesses whereas a back 4 wouldn't.

Charlie Fox out of interest too btw

Spoiler

fox.thumb.png.a5a9293150d7a7dd464b2e01f44d4e4e.png

More of a risk than Deas would be, but one I definitely hope we'd look into as an option alongside him.

Harry Milne

Spoiler

milne.thumb.png.1ff542d05b1bfe148ac1b0b7ea315f32.png

Arguably been playing at top flight level since he was at Cove. If hes managing this at a middling Championship side he might manage a lot more at a middling top flight club.

If you're drawing comparions he seems on a similar path that Rooney was on when he joined (Rooneys first 2 at ICT).

mvr.thumb.png.13991c10425e7102b6ddbd998a1cab98.png

Ruari Paton

Spoiler

pates.thumb.png.de1fbe0086a0fd9c920b6768cd90e599.png

Shown enough to suggest he'd be worth a punt. Played well as both a wider/supportive player, and as the main striker, so plenty to work with. Maybe better be worth seeing how he gets on in the Championship next season though.

3 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Interested to see how this meeting goes tonight. Will be good to hear reports from those in attendance.

Decent meeting

Everything was minuted and will be published on Socials 

Secret 7 re invented 

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

For interest, looked at @Widges wishlist to see what the RG Doofer Machine thinks.

Robbie Deas

Reveal hidden contents

deas.thumb.png.220421a17543cc7c153cd0c2e00923ce.png

Not as good as I expected tbh, but as a "wide CB" in a back three probably has strengths where you want them? Possibly/Probably McCart-esque in that a back 3 hides his defensive weaknesses whereas a back 4 wouldn't.

Charlie Fox out of interest too btw

Reveal hidden contents

fox.thumb.png.a5a9293150d7a7dd464b2e01f44d4e4e.png

More of a risk than Deas would be, but one I definitely hope we'd look into as an option alongside him.

Harry Milne

Reveal hidden contents

milne.thumb.png.1ff542d05b1bfe148ac1b0b7ea315f32.png

Arguably been playing at top flight level since he was at Cove. If hes managing this at a middling Championship side he might manage a lot more at a middling top flight club.

If you're drawing comparions he seems on a similar path that Rooney was on when he joined (Rooneys first 2 at ICT).

mvr.thumb.png.13991c10425e7102b6ddbd998a1cab98.png

Ruari Paton

Reveal hidden contents

pates.thumb.png.de1fbe0086a0fd9c920b6768cd90e599.png

Shown enough to suggest he'd be worth a punt. Played well as both a wider/supportive player, and as the main striker, so plenty to work with. Maybe better be worth seeing how he gets on in the Championship next season though.

Excellent, let’s sign them all! 

2 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Sorry, I’d been given the impression that the answers were satisfactory and it was a decent meeting. Can someone send the correct link, please?

Wasn't at the meeting so can't possibly pass comment but "why does the scoreboard say Saints rather than the full name"

"Why aren't all the seats blue?"

https://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/news/article/st-johnstone-fans-forum-open-meeting-13-february-2023