Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I'd post this in the match thread, but it would just get swallowed up by other non-saints content.

I was actually really happy walking out the game yesterday. OK we conceded 4 goals, but Celtic are so far ahead of every other team in this league, including Rangers. The way they press and close, before quickly moving the ball in behind is actually frightening; however I don't think there was a 3 goal deficit between the teams yesterday. The way we didn't just lump it long was really encouraging, both Gallacher and Brown wanted to push forward and find a team mate, in years gone by we'd thump it down the line. Both wide men worked hard both forward and backwards, albeit I think McLennan could have done more at times, Gallacher was left isolated at times, but against other teams that's not such an issue. The main positive from the game was the control that Phillips and McPherson had at times, they both seem to want the ball on the half turn and fire it either wide or into feet. I think we've found our starting midfield for the rest of the season and lets not forget Phillips outrageous bit of skill to take out 3 Celtic players. 

The only negatives for me were May, who worked his arse off but is never a lone striker and Davidson's use of subs again. Carey and May were done after about an hour, at that point I'd of brought both Theo and Rudden on and let them chase from the front.

I could speak about the pitch, but whats the point. It once again needs ripped up and properly sorted. The only saving grace is we've got 3 weeks until the next home game and then another 3/4 weeks after that one. If the pitch isn't looking back to being in decent nick, serious questions need asked of the ground team.

31 minutes ago, Widge said:

The main positive from the game was the control that Phillips and McPherson had at times, they both seem to want the ball on the half turn and fire it either wide or into feet. I think we've found our starting midfield for the rest of the season.

While this is a big positive, and a reason ive some hope for the rest of the season, it also kind of worries me too.

Is it just another thing the manager has stumbled upon thats worked? And when it stops working, either through loss of form or unavailable players, is he going to go back to simply throwing shit at the wall until he stumbles upon something else?

Half of me thinks we'd never have seen those two in CM if McGowan wasnt injured, and that worries me going forward. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

While this is a big positive, and a reason ive some hope for the rest of the season, it also kind of worries me too.

Is it just another thing the manager has stumbled upon thats worked? And when it stops working, either through loss of form or unavailable players, is he going to go back to simply throwing shit at the wall until he stumbles upon something else?

Half of me thinks we'd never have seen those two in CM if McGowan wasnt injured, and that worries me going forward. 

I totally agree that it's probably more by chance than intent; however sometimes that's what good managers do. The likes of Wright benefitted from the Hendry/May combo, as well as stumbling across McCann being as good as he is. There's an element of luck to any manager, but he needs to learn from it if that makes sense. Whether he does is another matter!

9 minutes ago, Widge said:

I totally agree that it's probably more by chance than intent; however sometimes that's what good managers do. The likes of Wright benefitted from the Hendry/May combo, as well as stumbling across McCann being as good as he is. There's an element of luck to any manager, but he needs to learn from it if that makes sense. Whether he does is another matter!

Aye, no manager can plan eveything and frankly you wont know what works until you try it. Im hoping his, current, willingness to try a back 4 helps when it comes to that stage though. TW was always able to change shape to introduce new players/new ways of playing to try and gain an edge. Davidson (previously) was restricting the amount he could change things as he was obsessed with the back 3.

I worry over the next few weeks he'll revert to that thinking Phillips/MacPherson can make it work, then when one comes out the team and it falls apart we'll just repeat the cycle we've been in.

27 minutes ago, deej said:

Have we sold a f**k ton of tickets for United already or is their website just shite? Only showing a couple of available tickets that aren't restricted view 

Wondered that too. Seems remarkable considering they’ve only been on sale a couple of days 

Edited by PSJ.84

1 hour ago, deej said:

Have we sold a f**k ton of tickets for United already or is their website just shite? Only showing a couple of available tickets that aren't restricted view 

The lower tier hasnt been put up for sale yet, as far as i know, so thats why its all unavailable. 

Top tier doesnt look too far off selling out so might open it up next week.

Avoid the restricted view if you at all can. The actual view of the park is only fractionally restricted by a metal bar - but the stewards stand at the front of the entrances/exits and block huge parts of the park, then get all upset if you point out dozens of people can’t see past them…

5 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Avoid the restricted view if you at all can. The actual view of the park is only fractionally restricted by a metal bar - but the stewards stand at the front of the entrances/exits and block huge parts of the park, then get all upset if you point out dozens of people can’t see past them…

Same thing happens in the bottom tier near the front (if they open that). 

Last time I was down there my view was 3-4 stewards stomachs. 

----

I see a few are getting excessively angry on social media about the interview.