Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

9 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Are the fans generally happy with Davidson now? At the start of the season it looked like he was about to be punted and now you're a lick off 3rd place.

Happy is probably not how I’d view it. As others have said reservations still exist and for every good performance we have one equally as bad. 

were 1 win off last seasons total already, but it doesn’t feel like we’re quite there yet.

24 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Are the fans generally happy with Davidson now? At the start of the season it looked like he was about to be punted and now you're a lick off 3rd place.

There remains frustration about games like last night’s, where the manager’s decision to start the team he did - so clearly dubious before we even kicked off - was the reason we found ourselves two down in 20 minutes. We were then forced into a change that got us into a better situation - probably into the team I’d have started with at that stage - and unsurprisingly we got better. That was an opportunity missed last night and the blame lies solely at the manager’s door.

On the plus side, he does have us playing much better football this season and we’ve just gone toe to toe with a side I fully expect to finish third, and probably should have got something from the game which is a vast improvement on last season.

45 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

We're 6th while having the biggest, most expensive, squad we've had in ~30 years with the manager given free reign to sign whoever he wants. Our squad, despite that, is still an unbalanced mess that doesnt have any form of medium term future together.

I get the feeling we're better this season simply because we could spend an absolute fortune on multiple experienced, proven, players rather than anything the manager is doing differently. The league this season is frankly brutal too. We still have the same issues tactically but better players masks it and then we've got Stevie May in the best form hes had in years masking attacking issues.

He deserves credit for getting this squad together, and deserves credit for (surely) making us safe by January after last seasons debacle, but theres little to suggest lessons have been learned and i doubt he'll be able to sign his way out of trouble a second time, so it feels like we're just ticking our way through a false dawn until he loses some of these players.

Edited by RandomGuy.

43 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Think @Jamie_Beatsonpretty much covers it. We have a better, bigger squad than last year, are scoring more goals and seem to have great spirit. Credit for that has to go to Davidson in some measure. He's generally playing with a front 2 and has shown some willingness, under pressure and when losing, to very occasionally move to a back 4.

But massive frustrations remain with his inflexibility and utterly baffling selections. Last night was peak Davidson. Absolutely every single Saints fan could have written the script as soon as that team sheet was announce and that's the issue we all have. If we can see the issues, watching the team for 90 minutes once a week, we can't understand how someone whose actual full time job it is can't.

We're much better than we were, but not as good as we could be.

49 minutes ago, Radford said:

Chat about McLennan in the match thread. I quite like him, a useful utility attacker. He runs hard and having that sort of player is no bad thing. Hard to see him as more than a squad player at the moment but a useful one to have.

He was pish last night but he occupies defenders and does have a turn of speed that lesser defenders will be wary of,  squad player at best just now as you say, certainly not the first team starter he was seemingly demanding at Aberdeen. 

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Chat about McLennan in the match thread. I quite like him, a useful utility attacker. He runs hard and having that sort of player is no bad thing. Hard to see him as more than a squad player at the moment but a useful one to have.

Not for me, unless we change shape.

Same issue as MOH. Doesnt actually fit anywhere and doesnt seem to understand any role apart from out wide, which id rather not see that often with a back 5.

I also think hes fairly rotten, his pace becomes a bit pointless when he struggles to control the ball at pace.

Also with McLennan he always seems to replace Clark who strikes me as someone you may not see doing much but can pop up with a goal. Some of the balls into the box once he had left you would like to think he may of been onto..... however those balls may not of happened had he still been on...

Struggling to see what McLennan offers. 

He isn't a goal threat, he doesn't hold up the ball or link play. He doesn't create chances through his delivery. 

He's got pace but doesn't use it in behind enough - suggests a lack of intelligence. Like others have said he doesn't have much ability in terms of touch etc. 

He also seems to lacks composure, he's missed a couple of great chances. Especially against Celtic. 

8 hours ago, Radford said:

Middleton. But worse. We need that option in the squad (McLennan might be the best we could get). Wouldn’t like him in the squad but I also think he’s the different option we need. 

Jamie Murphys interview today, talking about the manager changing formation and taking away the roles he likes to play, adds weight to the rumours of him leaving in January. 

14 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Middleton. But worse. We need that option in the squad (McLennan might be the best we could get). Wouldn’t like him in the squad but I also think he’s the different option we need. 

Somebody had a beer, Jesus.