Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't remember specifically saying it was the worst in the league (doesn't mean I didn't, I say a lot of stuff), but I do genuinely think your squad is quite poor, and the manager is doing well to get a tune out of it at the moment. Saints finished 11th last season and the squad has on paper got a lot worse with the loss of Rooney, Hendry, Clark and McCart, albeit McCart didn't play well at all last season.

Mitchell and Matthews have been good replacements in their positions, the latter making the biggest difference given what the goalkeeper situation looked like up until he arrived. McGowan and Carey have never been anything other than bottom six standard players, even at their peak in Scotland, and Murphy was good but injuries have limited his usefulness.

That is a fair description of what most of us thought at the start of the season! However Carey, McGowan and especially Considine have so far been way above that level! If they can continue remains to be seen!    

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I don't remember specifically saying it was the worst in the league (doesn't mean I didn't, I say a lot of stuff), but I do genuinely think your squad is quite poor, and the manager is doing well to get a tune out of it at the moment. Saints finished 11th last season and the squad has on paper got a lot worse with the loss of Rooney, Hendry, Clark and McCart, albeit McCart didn't play well at all last season.

Mitchell and Matthews have been good replacements in their positions, the latter making the biggest difference given what the goalkeeper situation looked like up until he arrived. McGowan and Carey have never been anything other than bottom six standard players, even at their peak in Scotland, and Murphy was good but injuries have limited his usefulness.

Apologies if I misremembered.

As already said I think a lot of fans thought that we'd downgraded this season, but it's not really turning out that way. 

Taking the players you mention, Rooney was a talisman and a unique goal threat, but him and McCart in the team effectively forced us into being a one-trick pony team with the long diagonal. It was predictable, prone to fail when as you say McCart was in poor form and frankly we were soon found out and had nothing else in the locker to create problems for ether defenders or managers. Which is why we scored virtually zero goals until we recalled Hendry. On that, most would say that the versatility in attack that Nicky Clark has brought, unlocking Stevie May, has more than replaced his presence.

I think you underestimate Carey and McGowan has been far better than we would have expected, with Murphy adding a different dimension. 

Finally I think most fans would concede that so far, Matthews looks if anything an upgrade on Zander. 

But I also agree with the general point that that recent performances have probably been more than the sum of our parts. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

6 hours ago, Radford said:

Before his injury I thought he'd probably been our best player and am a little surprised he's been used so little recently.

He was always gonna be a bit of a square peg with system Davidson uses but simply his technical ability, vision and ability to turn and carry the ball makes him an asset for me.

Yeah I certainly wouldn't say he's been a bad signing, just that he wouldn't make my first choice eleven. 

Thinking about the midfield options just makes it even more glaring the lack of a good holding midfielder. I guess there is still a chance Philips develops into that...

Edited by monkfish

I dont think its Phillips game, which makes his signing a bit pointless tbh. 

Murphy is a good sub to have but he needs to play left sided so hed need to be starting ahead of May or Wotherspoon, which wont/shouldny happen IMO.

McGowan/Considine/Carey/Clark have been good signings because they seem like good people for the dressing room. All professional but some also have some personality that shows on the pitch. Last season we kind of lacked that beyond Rooney i think.

My main worry is the manager gets complacent about his squad (again) and instead of pushing on from this foundation hes built we sit back and think this squad can see us through the next 18 months with minor additions. 

Remi Matthews is an interesting one, because I think that Zander had many more opportunities to showcase his shot-stopping talents last season (something which he achieved regularly). However, despite the fact that I don’t believe Remi has been tested to the same degree, I have more trust in him. When he has been forced to pull off a save, he has done so. He seems to have a greater command of his area than Zander did and is arguably a more calming presence.

Edited by The Real Saints

Folk say some wild things. I read a Motherwell fan on here saying they had a better squad than us as well.  For killie and Motherwell supporters to come out with that is bonkers for me. Seriously, how many Kilmarnock or Motherwell players would Saints fans take in our squad?

I’d say County is another poorer squad of players than ours. 

After those, who I wouldn’t be surprised if they finish as 3 of the bottom 4, I’d say st mirren and Livi arguably have better or as good squads as ours.

The rest are obviously better squads, though Utd have good individuals but look to have the balance all wrong.

1 hour ago, Perth Saint said:

Spoony has made the squad for the World Cup! Crawford confirmed after the game. Delighted for him!

Surprisingly delighted by that news and unsure why. 'Ive seen a fair few Saints players go to the main event.

Potentially  because I'm of similar age and from same area etc but I'd be absolutely delighted for him if it ends up being the case. 

also as a Scotsman, who else will we watch?

2 hours ago, Perth Saint said:

Spoony has made the squad for the World Cup! Crawford confirmed after the game. Delighted for him!

That's wonderful news. It was a bit of a sentimental pick, but I was hoping he would make the 26. At the end of the day, none of the younger players did enough and a lot of the fringe players were poor in the friendly Friday. I thought Spoony looked good again today. He had some nice touches - particularly the goal - he looks quick closing down, I think he could give Canada 60 or 70 minutes if he had to. 

The official announcement is at 3 p.m. tomorrow afternoon your time. 

I am off to Qatar Friday. I don't know why any neutrals would be making the trip, but if you are there's some Canadian events being organized through the opening round, any Saints supporter would be more than welcome.

Like others, there will be a vicarious sense of pride if Wotherspoon makes the cut, both for the football club but also a Perthshire lad who is a St Johnstone fan.

He was a good player when we signed him but experience and maturity has made him even better.

Viva la Spoony.

I hadn’t appreciated that the goal yesterday started with him ghosting past someone in our own half then playing the initial pass. The chop in the box was a classic, just a shame the shot was saved.

Greatest player in St Johnstone history now? Not many with a better claim.