Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

He was an absolutely horrific manager for us but a lot of fans would have been happy enough for him to take a job as a director of football or something as it definitely suits his skills better. Unfortunately there was just too much water under the bridge by the time we sacked him so that was never on the cards. 

I assume he was on gardening leave with us as he still has a contract until 2023 so if you've just saved us some money then thank you very much. 

I think the difficulty guys in these positions have is that it's quite difficult to attribute specific success to them.

Gus was our DoF, and was brought in to ensure the lack of continuity we saw from Jack Ross (stopped caring) to Stubbs (clueless fud). He came in and suddenly we did some mad stuff in the transfer market. A few were wide of the mark, but we also had Hladky, Popsecu, Muzek, Ferdinand and Hammill, plus some others. We eventually got some points on the board and survived thanks to the Funsters doing what the do best.

But Kearney sort of took the credit for the turnaround, Gus looked miserable, and then he was bagged fairly soon after Jim Goodwin took over. Presumably because his Irish network wasn't up to scratch.

My point is, we still don't really know if Gus was a success or not. Rumours persisted that he didn't have a hand in the eastern European guys arriving, for example.

My suspicion is that he could still do a good job in this kind of role, but with the caveat that I said the same to Morton fans when they appointed him.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

My suspicion is that he could still do a good job in this kind of role, but with the caveat that I said the same to Morton fans when they appointed him.

And of course, when a lot of Morton fans were thinking someone like him in a Director of Football role was exactly what we needed last summer, we stuck with him as manager when he'd already proven himself a failure by ending up in the relegation playoff in the first place (something St Johnstone fans may relate to). He did recruit some good players, but he quickly showed why he hasn't been a competent manager for about 15 years, departing the club with the worst records of any Morton manager in the last 20 years (yes, worse than Kenny Shiels). It took Imrie a whole 5 games to manage as many league wins as MacPherson had in 24.

So, he may well be fine in a background role and christ knows St Johnstone need to get responsibility for recruitment away from Davidson somehow, but pray he is never allowed near your dugout.