Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Still things to worry about, but we felt in control for long periods and Nicky Clark looks exactly what we needed.

Sat deep in the second half but when you're ahead and your opponents look completely toothless its not always the worst idea. I'll be kind and say it was a gameplan to open up space to counter into and it worked.

Still not sure how we fit everyone into the attack, as Murphy struggled to impact things in this shape, but probably need more than one game to judge that.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Still things to worry about, but we felt in control for long periods and Nicky Clark looks exactly what we needed.

Sat deep in the second half but when you're ahead and your opponents look completely toothless its not always the worst idea. I'll be kind and say it was a gameplan to open up space to counter into and it worked.

Still not sure how we fit everyone into the attack, as Murphy struggled to impact things in this shape, but probably need more than one game to judge that.

It’s a confidence booster for me, showed what we can do, we need to do it more regular. 

there’s stuff I’m still not 100% on, but everyone stepped up and did what was needed.

15 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I don’t remember often (ever?!) seeing both wing backs in the opposition six yard box as they were for our second goal today, one with the assist and the other finishing.

Rooney’s goal v Celtic the only obvious example I can think of, that produced a goal, although I think Booth was maybe just outside the box? Thought the first and second goals today were excellent, and the ambition for the penalty was too good to be true 

Edited by PSJ.84

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Brexit football in a person. 

I’ve taken to calling him Brexit at the games. No nonsense, blooter it kind of defender. He bailed out the right hand side once or twice in the first half with great covering tackles as well. 

Still some issues but that was much more positive today. Other than a spell in the second half before we got the second, we kept trying to go forward and Clark’s introduction helped bring the best out in May, who I thought was excellent. Would’ve liked him to get a goal as felt his overall play earned it but not to be. He certainly played his part in both the first two goals though after winning the header from the cross for the first and then playing in Montgomery for the second. 

There was definitely more attacking intent today, typified by the second goal when one wing back picked out the other to score an excellent goal.

Please Saints/Davidson, prove me wrong. Make me look like a fanny. 

49 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I’ve taken to calling him Brexit at the games. No nonsense, blooter it kind of defender. He bailed out the right hand side once or twice in the first half with great covering tackles as well. 

Still some issues but that was much more positive today. Other than a spell in the second half before we got the second, we kept trying to go forward and Clark’s introduction helped bring the best out in May, who I thought was excellent. Would’ve liked him to get a goal as felt his overall play earned it but not to be. He certainly played his part in both the first two goals though after winning the header from the cross for the first and then playing in Montgomery for the second. 

There was definitely more attacking intent today, typified by the second goal when one wing back picked out the other to score an excellent goal.

I'd like to look like a fanny too please!

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

We’ve laughed and moaned at Davidson signing recommendations from Rowett, but this is one that I think is an unbelievable bit of business especially with the Cleary situation, he might not drive forward but he offers us a defensive side Cleary struggled with at times.

On a side note, I noticed McGowan looked quite keen to drive forward more often so he might be taking on that driving run.

11 hours ago, mizfit said:

We’ve laughed and moaned at Davidson signing recommendations from Rowett, but this is one that I think is an unbelievable bit of business especially with the Cleary situation, he might not drive forward but he offers us a defensive side Cleary struggled with at times.

On a side note, I noticed McGowan looked quite keen to drive forward more often so he might be taking on that driving run.

The Rowett situation isn’t the worst one to be fair, we’ve had what Brown, McNamara, Mitchell as successes and Muller & Olafe(sp?), not work out. If he had a 3/5 success rate on his other signings we’d be doing alright.

Edited by gingermunkie

I think it’s a sad indictment of where we’re at at the general apathy around saints, that despite winning 3-0 at home my father and I still came out the ground moaning. We still didn’t see the result as a good one, as there was so many things that we were still guilty of or the manager wasn’t doing. Ultimately the team winning is the most important part of it, but even after a convincing win we didn’t come out eulogising about how amazing we were, it was the exact opposite. 

48 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

I dunno what it is but I really like Ryan McGowan. He’s hardly been outstanding but, to use a cliche, you feel he gets it. 

I said the same thing yesterday during the game. He’s no world beater, but he’s solid and cares and actually much like the other defenders will stick his body on the line if require much like the other defenders. 

3 hours ago, Widge said:

I think it’s a sad indictment of where we’re at at the general apathy around saints, that despite winning 3-0 at home my father and I still came out the ground moaning. We still didn’t see the result as a good one, as there was so many things that we were still guilty of or the manager wasn’t doing. Ultimately the team winning is the most important part of it, but even after a convincing win we didn’t come out eulogising about how amazing we were, it was the exact opposite. 

Similar thoughts for me, an odd 3-0 victory. Felt like we only got into St Mirren’s half 5 or 6 times in the second half. Seemed to want to sit on the 1-0 lead again but at least we carried more of a threat when attacking and took the chances when they came. Second goal came at the right time although would have been nervy if the St Mirren scored when they hit the woodwork twice. 

Edited by derektaylor84