Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I've suspected for a good few weeks that the goalkeeper thing was a cause for concern. Now Allan Preston is involved, I'm sure of it.

It's always been a week away from being completed and just trying to finalise the right option out of the 5 or 6 he'd picked out. For ages now. 

Linked with two keepers on the same day doesn't scream of someone in control of a situation.

On Ryan McGowan, I think @RandomGuy. has already alluded to it but he's pretty much exclusively played at CB in the last 6 or 7 years.

So the options are he's here to presumably replace one of the other CBs that has been signed, not at minor expense, already in 2022, or he's going to be played in a position he hasn't filled regularly since he was in his mid-twenties. 

Neither is a good look, and that's taking no account of his ability, which of course it's only fair to judge over time. 

Players always deserve a chance but if there isn't logic or strategy to an individual signing or policy, folk shouldn't be afraid to call it out. 

Tragic what is happening to this club. 

Edited by Radford

13 minutes ago, Radford said:

I've suspected for a good few weeks that the goalkeeper thing was a cause for concern. Now Allan Preston is involved, I'm sure of it.

It's always been a week away from being completed and just trying to finalise the right option out of the 5 or 6 he'd picked out. For ages now. 

Linked with two keepers on the same day doesn't scream of someone in control of a situation.

Spent too long trying to tempt Clark back when in reality we should’ve set a deadline for contract and moved on. 

I’d say it’s the biggest mistake of the window is not having our new number 1 lined up before Annan. I don’t think Parish has done that bad since, but we should’ve been ready with a keeper before now.

Of course, an out-there idea might have been to actually sign someone better than Parish, then this holding off for Clark (if that's the case)/search for a replacement might not have become such an issue...

I actually have no problem with a loan keeper assuming he's capable and, more importantly, if Ross Sinclair gets a good loan so he's ready to go this time next year. 

We'll end up with some kid on loan we're forced to play while we've waiting too long to get Sinclair a decent loan move.

So itll be lose lose.

4 minutes ago, Radford said:

Of course, an out-there idea might have been to actually sign someone better than Parish, then this holding off for Clark (if that's the case)/search for a replacement might not have become such an issue...

I actually have no problem with a loan keeper assuming he's capable and, more importantly, if Ross Sinclair gets a good loan so he's ready to go this time next year. 

If you're a half decent, experienced keeper or a younger loanee from a bigger club building your career, surely the single most important factor is game time. 

Having Zander hanging around the place without a club strongly suggests that he'd take the number 1 shirt back immediately if he's not got a move at the end of the window, which would surely put off any decent options. 

He's a fan favourite, cup hero with international call-ups but it's doing us no favours having him in training. 

2 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

When's the last time we heard anything from Bulletproof?

After McCann was sold?

Sure he was mentioned when Ian Flaherty was appointed, reiterating that he was taking a step back from the club.

As far as i can make out, Flaherty is running the club.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The guy on WAP who claimed we've fucked up and have spent the last week just asking every club in the UK if they've an available keeper serms to have nailed it.

In terms of our new keeper its now down to luck rather than design. 

Why don't you just sign Hamilton? He's probably only upper Championship standard in terms of quality (once excellent games divided by f**k-ups) but the other options being linked to you are complete unknowns and would raise a hell of a lot more red flags.

It's bizarre that he left Morton with the expectation that he'd sign for a team closer to the east of Scotland, but is still a free agent. 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

So he'd fit in well with your current nick of a squad then.

Pretty much. 

In all seriousness i imagine hes one of the options theyre currently looking at, and there was mention we've already approached him but could only offer him a chance to compete with another new signing, rather than being told hes number one.

Longer this drags on, the more likely it is he signs.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Pretty much. 

In all seriousness i imagine hes one of the options theyre currently looking at, and there was mention we've already approached him but could only offer him a chance to compete with another new signing, rather than being told hes number one.

Longer this drags on, the more likely it is he signs.

McCrorie from Rangers a possibility?

I know we were linked but from what I've heard, Carson's scan results came back quite positive so he's probably not going to be out of action for as long as first feared, so we're probably not in the market anymore for him.

6 minutes ago, flood said:

He was very good against us last year 

Good for him.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

McCrorie from Rangers a possibility?

I know we were linked but from what I've heard, Carson's scan results came back quite positive so he's probably not going to be out of action for as long as first feared, so we're probably not in the market anymore for him.

We were linked before you, think we're up to 4 keepers in the last 4 weeks linked now.