Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Do you honestly think it'll change, especially off the field?
Relegation just results in the off field staff behind cut even further. 

Who knows but we noticeably haven’t behaved like a top flight club since around when the pandemic hit. I don’t want us to get relegated to be clear, not a good thing to wish for given the people who will lose their jobs having done nothing wrong.

Meh.

We're back to our 20/21 issues it seems. 

Honestly think he purposely selected Gilmour ahead of MOH at RWB as Gilmour passes better, as if that's what you need against a part time L2 side more than someone commiting defenders. We're back to believing playing 100 passes between WB/CB/CM is a good approach despite most attempts ending with the ball getting played sideways to the .other side, or a cross to Bair surrounded by defenders.

Cleary is an absolute clown, btw, but I refuse to believe losing one of your 3 CBs should lead to what we got served up until Carey came on. Literally just parked 10 men behind the ball after half time, against a part time L2 side halfway through the working week.

Only the first game and a lot can still happen, but as expected we look like we've downgraded in almost every area of the park. No doubt some fans will talk about it being early/never seeing that line up in the league/the red card, but the red flags are there for everyone to see and have been for a while.

4 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Only positives we can take from tonight is that now the club can see a lot if these players are not capable. 

Lessons we learned - Gilmour isn't a RWB. Hallberg is wasted deep. This shape doesn't allow central creation/threat beyond long shots so we get predictable due to how we act out wide. Lone strikers in this set up will feed off scraps.

Things we all already knew - Gilmour isn't a RWB. Hallberg is wasted deep. This shape doesn't allow central creation/threat beyond long shots so we get predictable due to how we act out wide. Lone strikers in this set up will feed off scraps.

58 minutes ago, Sainthearted said:

I think we should invent a new metric called "cost of Davidson" (COD). 

I feel the COD for this side is at least -3 league places relative to a competent manager.

You’ve not accounted for the recruitment COD in your calculations 

We go into the season like that, and Davidson’s gone by October. He knows that the goodwill will dry up. The board know that and likely the players do too.

We go into the season like that, and Davidson’s gone by October. He knows that the goodwill will dry up. The board know that and likely the players do too.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Lessons we learned - Gilmour isn't a RWB. Hallberg is wasted deep. This shape doesn't allow central creation/threat beyond long shots so we get predictable due to how we act out wide. Lone strikers in this set up will feed off scraps.

Things we all already knew - Gilmour isn't a RWB. Hallberg is wasted deep. This shape doesn't allow central creation/threat beyond long shots so we get predictable due to how we act out wide. Lone strikers in this set up will feed off scraps.

Hallberg is a total waste in a deeper role. I obviously didn’t see last night but as you say, he was clearly an attacking asset last season when he was played in a more advanced position. In a team that doesn’t score goals you need to use every good forward outlet you have.

15 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Hallberg is a total waste in a deeper role. I obviously didn’t see last night but as you say, he was clearly an attacking asset last season when he was played in a more advanced position. In a team that doesn’t score goals you need to use every good forward outlet you have.

He was virtually on top of the CBs in the second half. He looks great on the ball because you're comparing him to Muzz, but he's not got an incisive pass in him so his role was effectively relegated to shuttling the ball side to side, suspect this is how he played at Hibs and why many of them described him as a "nothing" midfielder.

Hopefully not another player who's strengths end up wasted due to a commitment to a "system".

Looking forward to seeing James Brown as starting RCB for 6 months again btw.

14 minutes ago, mizfit said:

What goodwill? I don't know a single Saints fan that' has any left. Booed off the park first day of the season .. unheard of from Saints fans. 

Last night was dreadful. Admittedly the recruitment has been poor but there is no way that squad should not be totally comfortable against an L2 side, even with players that are nowhere near good enough (Parish, Montgomery, Gilmour, Bair) and the rest that are just about good enough for 9th  or 10th place. I genuinely think that only Hallberg, maybe, is the only player we have that's currently a potential top-six performer, and even that's debatable. And we're not playing to his strengths. 

In addition to the list of 'things we learned' it seems that Bair is likely a massive huddie, which is what we probably expected, and that Considine (despite actually having a decent game against a team that didn't look remotely interested in scoring) has no pace. 

With a senior season under his belt Max could be a real star, if Davidson doesn't coach the talent out of him. Probably the only positive to take. The top half dozen teams are going to destroy us this year, brace yourselves for some absolute humiliations, 

Just now, Valentino Bolognese said:

What goodwill? I don't know a single Saints fan that' has any left. Booed off the park first day of the season .. unheard of from Saints fans. 

I think most of the boos were at the ref. Plenty of our support on FB and Twitter claiming Cleary cost us a "comfortable win" by getting sent off.

Just now, PSJ.84 said:

Roll on Saturday 

Brown at RCB and MOH at RWB.

Callum hailed a genius for recognising we needed a more direct threat at wing back instead of Gilmour.