Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

10 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

It's genuinely horrific. 

I don't know much about laying pitches but... It would seem neither does the guys who did the work.

Dens got re-done as well, it's like a billiard table.

Arguably worse than last season.

All the warning signs are there for Davidson, but will he take any notice? To be fair, some neat play in first 20 mins, but with no end product.

Whatever the thinking is on Gilmour at right wing back, it will not work. Max was the only bright spark.

That we cannot score is of no surprise, but the defence is a massive concern. Cleary is a bloody idiot.

Special mention for the pitch. Its quite an achievement to get a pitch that bad looking and with bald bits this early in the season. 

Do you still have that absolute hillbilly as a groundsman?

Also, genuine question, how many signings has Davidson made that can be deemed a success? Said at the time you signed him that I thought that Cleary would prove to be a donkey and he's certainly not done a lot to dismiss that notion.

Did that LB you signed in January turn out alright before he picked up an injury (?) or has he just disappeared? Rooney & Guy Melamed are the only two definite success stories I can think of. Who am I missing?

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Also, genuine question, how many signings has Davidson made that can be deemed a success? Said at the time you signed him that I thought that Cleary would prove to be a donkey and he's certainly not done a lot to dismiss that notion.

Did that LB you signed in January turn out alright before he picked up an injury (?) or has he just disappeared? Rooney & Guy Melamed are the only two definite success stories I can think of. Who am I missing?

I’d need to check but was Rooney not already a done deal under Wright? Melamed was good but took far too long for him to get a look in only for him to drop out of the team again at the end of the season. Gallacher is the LB you refer to - he was coming on to a game when he picked up a bad injury and is out for a bit yet.

This is potentially more amusing than last season. We’ve seen it so often. Appoint a shit for brains manager, be way to loyal, sign ageing has beens and never wozzers. Really looking forward to observing the goings on.

Just now, Fifespud said:

This is potentially more amusing than last season. We’ve seen it so often. Appoint a shit for brains manager, be way to loyal, sign ageing has beens and never wozzers. Really looking forward to observing the goings on.

I think it's a really difficult spot (all of their own making mind), it's hard not to be loyal to the man that won a cup double for a club the size of St Johnstone (or indeed any other Scottish club that's not the OF, Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs) and he eventually kept them up last season as well, but the signings look very underwhelming even if they had actually got relegated.

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Are you guys really that bad?

Positivity and fairy dust will surely keep us up. 

We are playing the same formation as the manager has always said he favoured - a formation that he hasn’t made work really at any point in his tenure - with worse players. It’s only going one way and no amount of backslapping and happy clapping is going to change it. 

How Davidson hasn’t been let go by now is completely beyond me. He’s so clearly out of his depth it’s starting to border on funny. Delirium may be setting in but I couldn’t stop myself from laughing when Considine side footed his penalty into row Z. 

13 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I’d need to check but was Rooney not already a done deal under Wright? Melamed was good but took far too long for him to get a look in only for him to drop out of the team again at the end of the season. Gallacher is the LB you refer to - he was coming on to a game when he picked up a bad injury and is out for a bit yet.

Davidson indeed signed Rooney. 100%.

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Bryson, Conway and McNamara are unqualified successes for me. All came in and did a job short term and left. 

Hallberg has been decent so far and there’s a few others have been ok. I’d say more than 75% have either been downgrades on what they are replacing (see this summers’ batch) or have been hopeless (the loanees last summer, Ambrose, Ciftci, Solomon-Otabor, Hector Ingram etc). 

3 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Davidson indeed signed Rooney. 100%.

Unless he was signing players on pre-contracts 5 months before he joined the club, then he most certainly did not. :lol: 

7 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Unless he was signing players on pre-contracts 5 months before he joined the club, then he most certainly did not. :lol: 

What makes my reply worse. Was that I was absolutely convinced it was a Wright signing. 

Yet replied on here saying it was a Davidson signing 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

12 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Positivity and fairy dust will surely keep us up. 

We are playing the same formation as the manager has always said he favoured - a formation that he hasn’t made work really at any point in his tenure - with worse players. It’s only going one way and no amount of backslapping and happy clapping is going to change it. 

How Davidson hasn’t been let go by now is completely beyond me. He’s so clearly out of his depth it’s starting to border on funny. Delirium may be setting in but I couldn’t stop myself from laughing when Considine side footed his penalty into row Z. 

You could almost accept us being pish if you could see the manager trying everything, different formations, players in slightly different positions etc, but it's just repeat, repeat, repeat.

As far as I am concerned, every player signed is a downgrade.

I'm a bit lost as to what Saints are trying to achieve in the games. Foe example, why put Gilmour at RWB when he refuses to take a player on. Why have midfielders who are afraid to drive forward. If we are going to have a player like Bair up top, why are we not whipping the ball in at every opportunity.

Like above, i almost laughed when Considine missed. It was obvious it was going to happen before he even stepped up.

Only positives we can take from tonight is that now the club can see a lot if these players are not capable and that Max will be a bright spark this season. Actually thought Murphy did OK when he came on. 

7 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

You could almost accept us being pish if you could see the manager trying everything, different formations, players in slightly different positions etc, but it's just repeat, repeat, repeat.

As far as I am concerned, every player signed is a downgrade.

I'm a bit lost as to what Saints are trying to achieve in the games. Foe example, why put Gilmour at RWB when he refuses to take a player on. Why have midfielders who are afraid to drive forward. If we are going to have a player like Bair up top, why are we not whipping the ball in at every opportunity.

Like above, i almost laughed when Considine missed. It was obvious it was going to happen before he even stepped up.

Only positives we can take from tonight is that now the club can see a lot if these players are not capable and that Max will be a bright spark this season. Actually thought Murphy did OK when he came on. 

The manager is just completely clueless. He doesn’t know how to change it so he’s hoping for a similar miracle as happened in 2020/21 when a couple of tweaks and Rooney coming in catapulted us up the league and helped us win the double. 

how we’ve played a competitive match without a replacement for Zander Clark and without a replacement for Callum Hendry (which the manager doesn’t seem to realise he needs) I’ll never know. 

St Johnstone are a slow moving car crash, we got lucky that Dundee sacked McPake and brought in McGhee, and lucky again that the championship was as poor as it was. There’s no safety net this time, unless someone inexplicably drops off a cliff. 

Edited by Kyle