Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Why do St Johnstone keep signing washed up, 30-something duds? Soon to be 33 year old Murphy, 33 year old Carey and 35 year old Considine to join 34 year old Murray Davidson. We seen how the  'dads army' approach worked out for Dundee last season, are the Saintees trying to replicate it?

Probably an element of repetition but there's no doubt Jamie Murphy was a very good player. Where the skill lies is knowing if you can still get something out of these guys once they start winding down their career. 

Callum Davidson managed it with Conway and Bryson so he will obviously be hoping for the same with Considine, Carey and Murphy. 

Even Carey, mainly because of his age, you can't get blown away by these signings (they are gonna come in, do a job or not, then leave on a free) but it's obviously the route the manager wants to go down and it will be upon that he's judged. 

Is it much of a long-term strategy for the club though? 

Also an element of concern that we have lost our main striker (and our other one isn't even back training following surgery) and may not be intending on bringing a centre forward in? 

The (attacking) midfield should provide more goals this season but let's remember we are starting for a base of 10 goals from the squad members that remain from 2021/22. Huge pressure/faith/expectation on Theo Bair.

The 1yr deal for Murphy makes sense, IMO.

On his day he can win matches at this level but that's caveated by the injuries/struggles he's had recently. A 1yr gamble makes sense for a side who struggle to create/score.

Yet another signing who looks more like a squad player than an improvement on anything we had, though, which is a worry when the manager says that's us done for outfield signings. 

22 minutes ago, Lex said:

Why do St Johnstone keep signing washed up, 30-something duds? Soon to be 33 year old Murphy, 33 year old Carey and 35 year old Considine to join 34 year old Murray Davidson. We seen how the  'dads army' approach worked out for Dundee last season, are the Saintees trying to replicate it?

We won a cup double with washed up, 30-something duds like Liam Craig, Murray Davidson, Craig Bryson, Craig Conway but thanks for your concerns nonetheless.

26 minutes ago, Kyle said:

So whats our strongest team then lads? 

I’d guess we’re sticking to the 5-2-3/5-3-2 variations given the signings all seem to fit into that. I’d guess the manager maybe wants to try 

New GK/Parish

Cleary Gordon Considine

Wright McPherson Hallberg Montgomery 

Carey Bair Murphy 

Spoony surely comes into the team somewhere when he’s fit, same with Kane and Booth/Gallacher  

Can’t help but feel we’d benefit from pushing Hallberg further up the pitch, but not sure we can when we have so many options in the 10/winger roles and so few proven ones ones further back in midfield. 

Have to hope it clicks. Looking forward to seeing us on Saturday to see how it all comes together. 

Seeing that team like that really is making me worry for next season and beyond and that’s meant to be the strongest team! The replacements for them are awful. What a fucking mess Davidson had made of the squad 

1 minute ago, double deluxe said:

We won a cup double with washed up, 30-something duds like Liam Craig, Murray Davidson, Craig Bryson, Craig Conway but thanks for your concerns nonetheless.

Conway and Bryson are/were far better players than Carey and Murphy. 

anyone who thinks we’re in for anything other than a long relegation fight is deluded 

27 minutes ago, Lex said:

In fairness, in January we signed John Mahon (22), Theo Bair (22), Tony Gallacher (soon to be 23) and made MacPherson (23) permanent. We’ve also lost a bunch of experienced players this summer. 

Understand the point being made but experience had to be added to the group one way or another

Edited by PSJ.84

Goalkeepers

Elliot Parish - 2023

Ross Sinclair - 2024

Jack Wills - 2024 

Defenders/wing backs

James Brown - 2023

Drey Wright - 2024

Daniel Cleary - 2024 

Liam Gordon - 2024

John Mahon -2024

Andy Considine- 2024

Callum Booth - 2024

Tony Gallacher - 2024

Adam Montgomery - January 2023 - on loan from Celtic 

Midfielders/wingers

David Wotherspoon - 2023

Max Kucheriavyi - 2024

Murray Davidson - 2023

Charlie Gilmour -2023

Cammy McPherson - 2024

Ali Crawford -2024

Melker Hallberg - 2023

Cammy Ballantyne - 2024 

Alex Ferguson - 2023  

Michael O’Halloran- 2023 

Graham Carey - 2024

Jamie Murphy - 2023 

Attackers

Stevie May - 2023

Chris Kane - 2023

Eetu Vertainen - 2023 - on loan at Linfield 

Theo Bair - 2024

Offered New Deals 

Zander Clark

Released/left the club 

Shaun Rooney (Fleetwood Town)

Efe Ambrose 

Jamie McCart (Rotherham United)

Sam Denham (East Fife)

Craig Bryson (Stenhousemuir)

Liam Craig (stays on as a coach) 

Jacob Butterfield

Jordan Northcott (Brechin City)

Nadir Ciftci

Jahmal Hector-Ingram 

Callum Hendry (Salford City) 

Loans Expired

Glenn Middleton

Tom Sang

9 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Don't think there is anything wrong with having a spine of decent experienced players as long as they are able to stay fit. 

Hallberg is our only CM aged between 24-29 and Chris Kane is our only ST between 24-29.

There's having an experienced spine and there's neglecting to actually build a squad.

At the moment our long term CM options are MacPherson and Gilmour. 

Although caveat this by the fact I apparently "despise" the club though, which will undoubtedly get brought up because I dare to not agree with decisions the club makes every so often.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Murphy is basically a replacement for Middleton, surely? To go up top (and out of position) in a 5-3-2 or on the left in a 5-2-3. Put age etc out of it and I reckon that’s the first “upgrade” we’ve made in terms of replacing the players who left last year’s team.

6 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

In fairness, in January we signed John Mahon (22), Theo Bair (22), Tony Gallacher (soon to be 23) and made MacPherson (23) permanent. We’ve also lost a bunch of experienced players this summer. 

Understand the point being made but experience had to be added to the group one way or another

Agree we've done fairly well at balancing youth and experience recently and the 30 y/o+ signings are usually brought in to replace out going older players.  If I was offered Conisdine, Murphy and Carey for Ambrose, Butterfield, and Cifti I would have to say that's moving in the right direction.  

4 minutes ago, PSJSaint said:

Agree we've done fairly well at balancing youth and experience recently and the 30 y/o+ signings are usually brought in to replace out going older players.  If I was offered Conisdine, Murphy and Carey for Ambrose, Butterfield, and Cifti I would have to say that's moving in the right direction.  

That would be completely ignoring the starters we've lost though, considering we're not making anymore outfield signings (according to the manager).

2 minutes ago, PSJSaint said:

But that’s not who they are directly replacing. Considine will be replacing McCart, Murphy will be replacing Middleton id have thought? 

6 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Murphy is basically a replacement for Middleton, surely? To go up top (and out of position) in a 5-3-2 or on the left in a 5-2-3. Put age etc out of it and I reckon that’s the first “upgrade” we’ve made in terms of replacing the players who left last year’s team.

I think Carey and Murphy have a good chance of giving us more than Middleton did last season, tbh.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

That would be completely ignoring the starters we've lost though, considering we're not making anymore outfield signings (according to the manager).

Beat me to it.

Don’t expect the guys to be brought in to be replacements for Ambrose and the likes, just that  ‘dads army’ comments are slightly unfair 

I think Carey and Murphy have a good chance of giving us more than Middleton did last season, tbh.

I think Carey is the Conway replacement we never signed. A slow but talented old winger!

I’m concerned we haven’t replaced and don’t seem to be planning to replace Hendry or Rooney mainly. Clark replacement will come.

Unless he sees the replacements as...
McCart - Mahon
Rooney - Wright
Middleton - Murphy
Hendry - Bair

That’s how I’ve seen it. Although I think Considine will be competing from the word go to start with Mahon.