Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

10 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Quite surprised to see McCart getting a move to the Championship. If the Stoke rumours are true, I feel like Zander has also punched above his weight a bit. Good agent work.

I’m happy to see the players go to these sort of teams, you’ll potentially have Clark and McCart joining Kerr and McCann in the Championship. It sells saints as a club where you can earn a move and teams down south might just start to take more note of our players. Not that I think they’re potentially good enough to play at that level, but the fact they’re going to get the chance is great. These guys earned themselves these moves and it’s worked out for both saints and the players. We just need to keep it up and start the build again. 

8 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Wonder how Rotherham fans will feel when he downs tools after hearing Sunderland have enquired about him.

Going by some of the tweets I’ve read since the news came out, they seem like a really level-headed and normal bunch. Imagine it’d be like water off a ducks back…

Edited by PSJ.84

Slightly surprised McCarts off to the Championship after last season, but looking into it Rotherham seem a good fit.

Play a back 3 and last seasons LCB seemed to play almost identically to McCart. Smart recruitment in targeting someone who can slot in seamlessly tbf.

Boggles my mind they Jamie McCart will be playing two levels above Callum Hendry next season. 

He must have some fucking agent.
There fans are also revelling in the signing despite every one of ours pointing out he’s been a fucking liability and nowhere near our best player last season.

Tbf I think top end League One is about McCarts level, so Rotherham makes sense.

They'll be targeting players to help them get promoted in 23/24 I'd imagine, one of those clubs that accept they'll struggle in a high tier so use it to build a squad perhaps.

Hendrys still never proven himself over a season, and I'd imagine had interest higher up than Salford. A very attractive wage, guaranteed first team football, and playing below your level makes a lot of sense for him. Bag 10/15 goals for Salford over a season and he'll be moving to the Championship for millions.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf I think top end League One is about McCarts level, so Rotherham makes sense.

They'll be targeting players to help them get promoted in 23/24 I'd imagine, one of those clubs that accept they'll struggle in a high tier so use it to build a squad perhaps.

Hendrys still never proven himself over a season, and I'd imagine had interest higher up than Salford. A very attractive wage, guaranteed first team football, and playing below your level makes a lot of sense for him. Bag 10/15 goals for Salford over a season and he'll be moving to the Championship for millions.

If that works out then that’s great for Hendry, but all it will take us a barren run of him not scoring in league two and he either finds himself back with us or another top flight club here or in the National League, he doesn’t have a soft landing to rely on. Personally think he should’ve backed himself and signed for a club at a higher level. Think Fleetwood and Burton were both credited with an interested and that would’ve made a lot more sense to me. 

6 hours ago, Kyle said:

If that works out then that’s great for Hendry, but all it will take us a barren run of him not scoring in league two and he either finds himself back with us or another top flight club here or in the National League, he doesn’t have a soft landing to rely on. Personally think he should’ve backed himself and signed for a club at a higher level. Think Fleetwood and Burton were both credited with an interested and that would’ve made a lot more sense to me. 

Aye definitely a chance of a better move, but his choice isn't as bad as some people are presenting it as. Regan Hendry made a similarly "unambitious" move and is now in the Championship. 

English football can chew you up pretty quick. I can see why some go to an "easy" level for them in the hope it gives them lots of game time to settle and find form.

I'm still not sure if Hendry is a decent striker or not tbh. Sure he can finish spectacularly but the actual game seems to pass him by. Will he get left on the pitch for Salford when he's not doing much? Not sure. At Saints this season we HAD to keep him on, basically because all our forwards are shite. If he starts getting taken off will his confidence go? f**k knows but it'll be interesting to see how he gets on down there.

*Before anyone points out that he scored early in a few games, I do realise this.

7 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Regan Hendry isn't playing in the championship, not yet anyway. Just been promoted to league one.

Yeah that's I, clumsily, meant.

He probably could've joined a Championship side off the bat but instead went to Forest Green. He's now there but has experience of the English leagues, experience of his team and team mates, and will get a fair crack at it.

Every chance if he'd gone straight to that level he'd have struggled to adapt, been punted out the side, and been replaced this Summer.

If you're young enough it's not illogical to spend a year adapting at a level that should be comfortable, if you believe you're guaranteed to succeed.

We'll see what today brings but disappointed we appear to be heading for an intensive week in Spain - where presumably they are going to work on tactical stuff - without a first choice goalkeeper or any new attacking players.

Pragmatists/cynics will always tell you players just go where the money is but you have to wonder if attacking players look at St Johnstone under Callum Davidson and think that just isn't for them. 

As someone else said, the goalkeeper one is harder to figure out as that should be a far more appealing prospect. I refuse to believe we are going to end up with someone like Gary Woods. 

The assumption has already been touched upon but the League Cup section is going to need to become our pre-season programme. 

33 minutes ago, Radford said:

We'll see what today brings but disappointed we appear to be heading for an intensive week in Spain - where presumably they are going to work on tactical stuff - without a first choice goalkeeper or any new attacking players.

Pragmatists/cynics will always tell you players just go where the money is but you have to wonder if attacking players look at St Johnstone under Callum Davidson and think that just isn't for them. 

As someone else said, the goalkeeper one is harder to figure out as that should be a far more appealing prospect. I refuse to believe we are going to end up with someone like Gary Woods. 

The assumption has already been touched upon but the League Cup section is going to need to become our pre-season programme. 

I think the League Cup section will become most teams' preseason to be fair.  I liked the Covid season when the group games were played in the international breaks.

Trying to work out when everyone plays their first friendly, outwith European teams. With the Groups officially starting on 9th July.

Aberdeen - 25th June

Hibernian - 29th June

Kilmarnock - 24th June

Livingston - 2nd July

Ross County - 6th July

St Johnstone - 9th July

St Mirren - 27th June

So aye, we're literally treating the Group stage as our pre-season, with our only announced friendly put in on the matchday we miss.