Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, but the manager said they weren't offering contracts.

I assumed that was current players he was talking about.  Hopefully the club are at least trying to identify players even if we haven't offered contracts. 

Rooney has signed for Fleetwood apparently. Wanted to go work with Brown. 
We put in an offer but seems to have opted to go down south. 

A proper gutter to miss out on him, one of my favourite players from Scottish football in the last decade.

A step down for Rooney if he moves to Fleetwood Town. League 1 jobbers with a pishy wee ground. He can surely do better.

I think Fleetwood are investing heavily with Scott Brown as manager now. Might be looking at Kerr doing well and seeing a possible chance of replicating that.

Also note Rotherham are back looking at him too.

2 hours ago, mizfit said:

Middlesbrough apparently keen on Zander from what I’m reading online.

One of these agent-led sites that provide the perfect outlet for people like Jackie McNamara and Clive. 

You saw this approach with Scott Tanser last year and it usually means there isn't the interest or offers that they are looking for and you end up signing for St Mirren. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

A proper gutter to miss out on him, one of my favourite players from Scottish football in the last decade.

I don’t see moving from Saints to Kilmarnock as any kind of progress, no disrespect intended. Money aside, what’s the attraction? Bigger wages in England than either of us will pay.

46 minutes ago, andrewh said:

I don’t see moving from Saints to Kilmarnock as any kind of progress, no disrespect intended. Money aside, what’s the attraction? Bigger wages in England than either of us will pay.

We're a bigger club, pay more, and are really handy for players who live in or near Glasgow. I would expect we would most often be able to beat St Johnstone to a player we both wanted, but of course there are other teams who can come in above both of us.

47 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Its amazing how massive a club suddenly becomes just weeks after narrowly finishing above part-time Arbroath in the second tier.

This is quite the meltdown from a simple post that I was disappointed to miss out on signing a good player.

Considering we’re back in action on the 9th July I don’t think we need to worry about the management being slow in transfer targets.

Understand why the club couldn't offer contracts to new players before knowing where we'd end up as who would want to sign for a club that goes and gets relegated. See Lamie for how that can end up. So you either have to throw money at it, which we'd never do and/or run the risk that they demand a relegation break clause.

On existing players, it's kind of the same problem, but at least you can be in their ear about it all the time and have informal 'if we stay up' agreements.

Fleetwood isn't a step up, but it may be seen as a stepping stone to one that might not arise otherwise.

On the basis that Hendry, Clark, McCart and Rooney will all be off, Clark aside, they have all emerged and will go within only a few years, so not exactly ripping up the fabric if the club. McCart I think will struggle to find a big move, so can see him staying in Scotland. Roll back 18 months and ironically, he'd be the only one you'd say would be a critical loss (mind Zander was rank in that period).

Looking at it logically we were never keeping Rooney simply due to his size, speed and physicality. A team down south who can pay more were always taking a chance on him; however the fact he’s away down south is a relief as it’ll mean we don’t need to face off against him any time soon. I will never begrudge players leaving saints to earn more money and earn a chance of playing at a higher level. Let’s face it, he was moving on irrespective of what deal we put in front of him. I’ll be more annoyed if the likes of Clark pitch up at another Scottish club on a slightly larger wage with no intention of furthering themselves in the game. 

I think we can all agree Rooney for those 2 years was more than worth it, especially given his first 6 months were a little bit of a right off! So I’ll wish the big mental b*****d all the best and look forward to him bodying folk south of the border. 

All the best to Shaun Rooney. A club legend that fully deserves his move.

That league cup group is quite something. I hadn’t heard that at long last it looks like they’ve ditched the regionalisation.

But it’s completely bitten us on the arse with some of the biggest trips we could get! Ayr, Queen of the South, Annan Athletic, Elgin City.  Hopefully Annan is away to tick off a new ground.