Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just watching last nights highlights there - it really annoys me how the club segregates fans with empty seats. On TV the Caley support looks piss poor, you would only know if you were at the game that they took nearly 2k. The North Stand should have been sold out first with any overspill then going into the main stand. It creates a better spectacle on tv. In addition to that, having the away fans so far away takes a certain “bite” out of the atmosphere.

For all this talk of marketing Scottish football better and making matches more attractive, you’d think one of the bright sparks running the game would be able to see this.

MacPherson was fine last night, but then again I think being in a good Championship side is probably his level, and that's what he was in last night.

The performance was poor and a better side than ICT would've punished us for it. I'd hope there's minimal patting themselves on the back today about it and instead it's full steam ahead with a rethink and rebuild.

Confidence in Davidson is virtually gone, but he can win some back by showing he's learned his lesson and has approached this Summer with a plan and is forging ahead with it early. If we see him just making signings to fit his "system" and they're all late in the window loans/desperation types then he'll struggle to ever recover in my eyes.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Rooney and Hendry to Kilmarnock reeks of the Clark/McCart to Dundee shite we got in January. 

A piddly wee team convinced they're huge and have far more draw than they actually have because they get a big crowd every so often.

Maybe it was telling that post-match Davidson specifically mentioned Kilmarnock when he talked about clubs spending money? I wouldn't be surprised if Hendry in particular ended up there.

I doubt we'll have a budget Killie's size – we spent our money in that January spree. On that note, galling that a player we signed for a six-figure sum months ago only made his full home debut last night. And he looked like he should have been in the team months earlier.

Edited by Mr Heliums

13 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Maybe it was telling that post-match Davidson specifically mentioned Kilmarnock when he talked about clubs spending money? I wouldn't be surprised if Hendry in particular ended up there.

It would be an horrendous look for Davidson if Clark, McCart, Rooney and Hendry are all playing against us next season. I still don't see it though.

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It would be an horrendous look for Davidson if Clark, McCart, Rooney and Hendry are all playing against us next season. I still don't see it though.

Depends on the spin. If that happens then we'll get a heavy wages,wages, wages narrative that will back up Davidson's nonsense about "no divine right" and only budgeting for 10th etc.

So is there a list kicking about with who is still under contract?

I'd have thought Clark, Rooney, McCart and whatever we pay of Middletons wages would be at the top end of our wage scale, so maybe a bit of wiggle room?

Assume contracts aside, all else is pretty much as is? Still Macron? Nothing happening structurally at McD? If club were to relay the pitch, they'd probably need to start this week.

3 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

I doubt we'll have a budget Killie's size – we spent our money in that January spree. On that note, galling that a player we signed for a six-figure sum months ago only made his full home debut last night. And he looked like he should have been in the team months earlier.

To be fair the back three have been decent since January.  The one who might have been dropped is the captain and not many managers will drop their captain. 

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

So is there a list kicking about with who is still under contract?

There are 14 out of contract: Ambrose, Bryson, Butterfield, Ciftci, Clark, Craig, Davidson, Denham, Hector-Ingram, Hendry, McCart, Northcott, Parish, Rooney.

Loans for Middleton and Sang end. 

Under contract for next year/beyond: Sinclair, Wills; Brown, Gallacher, Cleary, Gordon, Mahon, Booth; Wotherspoon, Gilmour, MacPherson, Crawford, Hallberg, Ballantyne, Ferguson, Kucheriavyi; May, Kane, O'Halloran, Bair, Vertainen. 

3 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Frightening

Jamie McCart is in the top 5 for amount of shots for us in the league this season...

3 hours ago, Radford said:

There are 14 out of contract: Ambrose, Bryson, Butterfield, Ciftci, Clark, Craig, Davidson, Denham, Hector-Ingram, Hendry, McCart, Northcott, Parish, Rooney.

Loans for Middleton and Sang end. 

Under contract for next year/beyond: Sinclair, Wills; Brown, Gallacher, Cleary, Gordon, Mahon, Booth; Wotherspoon, Gilmour, MacPherson, Crawford, Hallberg, Ballantyne, Ferguson, Kucheriavyi; May, Kane, O'Halloran, Bair, Vertainen. 

I think everyone’s probably the same in that they would only keep Hendry, Rooney, Clark & McCart out of those out of contract.

Would love to punt Crawford. I hate pea-hearted little wimps like him (like a midfield version of Scott Tanser). Gilmour is just the most beige player probably in history. I actually thought MacPherson did alright last night and at least offers a bit of energy - wouldn’t want him to start every week though.

Need to get Bair and Vertainen some game time in the League Cup groups imo. See what they can actually do and let them settle into a role.

Keeper and a proper centre midfielder are probably the priorities. Right wing back & forward as well. Just every position really.

I think everyone’s probably the same in that they would only keep Hendry, Rooney, Clark & McCart out of those out of contract.
Would love to punt Crawford. I hate pea-hearted little wimps like him (like a midfield version of Scott Tanser). Gilmour is just the most beige player probably in history. I actually thought MacPherson did alright last night and at least offers a bit of energy - wouldn’t want him to start every week though.
Need to get Bair and Vertainen some game time in the League Cup groups imo. See what they can actually do and let them settle into a role.
Keeper and a proper centre midfielder are probably the priorities. Right wing back & forward as well. Just every position really.

I agree on Macpherson you could see glimpses, but he was either taking a touch too many or was trying to go too quick. Plus once he was booked he was petrified to make a tackle. Was brutal to watch at times.

May just have been by the skin of our teeth in the end but worth noting that's now 14 consecutive seasons in the top flight. 

When you compare it to the other teams outside of the big six and obviously Killie and Motherwell, whose longevity has been clear, this is the best other notable teams have managed since we moved to smaller leagues in 1975:

Dundee: 9 (1981-1990)
Livingston: 5 (2001-2006, 2018-2023)
Ross County: 6 (2012-2018)
St Mirren: 15 (1977-1992)
Dunfermline: 7 (2000-2007)
Hamilton: 7 (2014-2021)
Inverness: 7 (2010-2017)
Partick Thistle: 6 (1976-1982)
Falkirk: 5 (2005-2010)