Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

There's a lot of people at our club who make no effort to be likeable or bond with the support, and to me MacPherson is one.
I could probably deal with him as a back up CM to play when the good players were out if he had some sort of decent personality, but to me he reeks of Adam Morgan. Probably spends half of training sessions attempting 40 yard free kicks then struts about pigeon chested when 1 hits the bar.

I think he’s the first player we’ve had who I’ve felt proper hatred towards.

Goalkeepers

Ross Sinclair - 2024

Jack Wills - 2024 - 

Craig Hepburn - 2023

Defenders 

James Brown - 2023

Daniel Cleary - 2024 

Liam Gordon - 2025

John Mahon -2024

Callum Booth - 2024

Tony Gallacher - 2024

Midfielders/wingers

David Wotherspoon - 2023

Max Kucheriavyi - 2024

Charlie Gilmour -2023

Cammy McPherson - 2024

Ali Crawford -2024

Melker Hallberg - 2023

Cammy Ballantyne - 2024 

Alex Ferguson - 2023  

Bailey Pert - 2023

Michael O’Halloran- 2023 

Attackers

Stevie May - 2023

Chris Kane - 2023

Eetu Vertainen - 2023

Theo Bair - 2024

Out of Contract

Zander Clark, Elliot Parish, Shaun Rooney, Efe Ambrose, Jamie McCart, Liam Palmer, Sam Denham, Murray Davidson, Craig Bryson, Liam Craig, Jacob Butterfield, Spencer Moreland, Jordan Northcott, Callum Hendry, Nadir Ciftci, Jahmal Hector-Ingram, Taylor Steven 

Loans Expired

Glenn Middleton, Tom Sang 

I make it that we already have 24 players signed up for next season, albeit some are youngsters. Twenty. Four. 

The midfield is a huge concern already. The manager has lumbered us with so much shite that there isn’t really any wiggle room to improve, unless we end up with similar squad numbers to what we’ve ended this season with.  I’ll not go into the individuals but some of those players being here for another 2 years makes me want to greet. 

4 signed strikers and Michael O’Halloran, 2 of whom never score, another two the manager doesn’t trust… and Michael O’Halloran. I’d be throwing Ciftci and Middleton’s wages - or a decent amount of them at least - to try and retain Hendry as that’s pretty grim otherwise too. 

defence looks ok, desperately need a right wing back (if we’re persisting with this manager and therefore system) and probably more cover in the middle as well. 

Goalies… we need better than Parish + kids. Parish don’t got no arms and the young lads are the future, but don’t think they’re the present. 

in terms of the out of contract players, only ones I’d even entertain keeping are Clark, Rooney, Mccart, Davidson and Hendry. Liam leaves with his head held high and Bryson contributed towards the end of last season. The likes of Ciftci shouldn’t even be reporting for training at this point. He clearly can’t be arsed so get him out of the changing room. 

most depressingly of all, 

Callum Davidson - 2025. 

what an absolute mess. 

That's terrifying......

That list man. Dreadful. And the midfield is an absolute horror show.

Gilmour, Crawford & Macpherson make the midfield list look so much worse.

I’m a bit cautious about renewing Davidson’s contract if we stay up, but I think he could handle the championship well if we go down.

Assuming all out of contract are gone, we desperately need a goalkeeper, 3 midfielders and 2 defenders at least.

4 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Gilmour, Crawford & Macpherson make the midfield list look so much worse.

I’m a bit cautious about renewing Davidson’s contract if we stay up, but I think he could handle the championship well if we go down.

Assuming all out of contract are gone, we desperately need a goalkeeper, 3 midfielders and 2 defenders at least.

From the squad that Tommy left...to this... whatever it is. 

Hallberg is passable and there's the hope that Spoony will come back the same player although age is against him.

Pinning some hopes on Kucheriavyi.

I've got no faith that Davidson can actually make signings that will improve the team though.

22 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I think he’s the first player we’ve had who I’ve felt proper hatred towards.

I'd have him below Ciftci, I think, simply because MacPherson seems to try sometimes, Ciftci chucked it months ago and clearly has no interest in whether we go up or down.

This is the squad I've liked the least that I can remember though. 

4 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Spoony will come back the same player although age is against him.

I'm holding next to no hope for that, tbh. 

He's 32, will be almost a year without a game, and is seemingly set to miss pre-season. He struggled for consistency anyway.

From the squad that Tommy left...to this... whatever it is. 
Hallberg is passable and there's the hope that Spoony will come back the same player although age is against him.
Pinning some hopes on Kucheriavyi.
I've got no faith that Davidson can actually make signings that will improve the team though.

For me, I’d have forgiven last summer had we spent the time securing some of our players to an extra year or 2.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Never forget... 

That quote is sackable in itself. 

That is a quite spectacular misevaluation.

Distribution was always the weakest point of MacPherson's game, always. To try and compare him favourably with Ali McCann on that or indeed any level is hilariously bad judgement.

I can just about understand the analysis if Davidson was praising his dig, his tenacity and his determination never to give up on a lost cause as those WERE things he displayed in his career with us but it appears that he's completely fallen off a cliff since joining you guys and doesn't even have that in his defence these days.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf I could half see why he'd have thought MacPherson had potential, as he clearly has some ability on the ball. Based on this season though he clearly lacks something mentally in terms of playing the game and that shouldve been noticed before he signed on loan, never mind before we horsed a fee and multi-year deal down his throat. He's in his mid-20s and have ~100 appearances at this level, he's not some youngster anymore.

This is where I am. I first noticed him in a 0-0 draw at McD in December 2019, just before he turned 21.

He was the stand out player on the park in a fairly uneventful match, and seemed to be getting great reviews.

I thought this must have been where Davidson noticed him, but I don’t think the timeline fits as CD would have been coaching down south by then.

When we signed him I thought fair enough, obviously feel we can get him back on track to realise his potential.  But he doesn’t have the mentality for that to happen. He’s desperately trying to recapture some kind of star player/ wonder kid status and trying ridiculous superstar stuff far too often.  We actually got to see him for a few months before spending the cash in January!

If you are a stand out creative player or goal threat like Scott Allan in his prime, or even a Swanson, teams can carry you, but he’s neither of those. 

He really needs to reinvent himself as a player. Just be reliable as a CM at this level, do the simple things well all the time.  McCann is the greatest example of how effective that can be.

I hope he proves us all wrong and turns his form completely around.  Needs a massive change of mindset and approach from him though.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Probably spends half of training sessions attempting 40 yard free kicks then struts about pigeon chested when 1 hits the bar.

This is it in a nutshell. 

This was the match, I actually thought it was much earlier, but apparently only 2.5 years ago. He got motm:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50791603

25 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I thought this must have been where Davidson noticed him, but I don’t think the timeline fits as CD would have been coaching down south by then.

Think I recall Davidson saying in one of his first interviews he’d watched every match of the 19/20 season so that may add up. Whether or not he genuinely did watch every game is a different story  

49 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Think I recall Davidson saying in one of his first interviews he’d watched every match of the 19/20 season so that may add up. Whether or not he genuinely did watch every game is a different story  

:lol: 

That is clearly absolute bullshit.

16 hours ago, shibbydoo said:

Any chance they've both got relegation release clauses? 🤞

Completely ridiculous we paid money for MacPherson, wtf does Callum see that we don't?

Hopefully we'll not find out if they have relegation release clauses. 

14 hours ago, Kyle said:

Goalkeepers

Ross Sinclair - 2024

Jack Wills - 2024 - 

Craig Hepburn - 2023

Defenders 

James Brown - 2023

Daniel Cleary - 2024 

Liam Gordon - 2025

John Mahon -2024

Callum Booth - 2024

Tony Gallacher - 2024

Midfielders/wingers

David Wotherspoon - 2023

Max Kucheriavyi - 2024

Charlie Gilmour -2023

Cammy McPherson - 2024

Ali Crawford -2024

Melker Hallberg - 2023

Cammy Ballantyne - 2024 

Alex Ferguson - 2023  

Bailey Pert - 2023

Michael O’Halloran- 2023 

Attackers

Stevie May - 2023

Chris Kane - 2023

Eetu Vertainen - 2023

Theo Bair - 2024

Out of Contract

Zander Clark, Elliot Parish, Shaun Rooney, Efe Ambrose, Jamie McCart, Liam Palmer, Sam Denham, Murray Davidson, Craig Bryson, Liam Craig, Jacob Butterfield, Spencer Moreland, Jordan Northcott, Callum Hendry, Nadir Ciftci, Jahmal Hector-Ingram, Taylor Steven 

Loans Expired

Glenn Middleton, Tom Sang 

I make it that we already have 24 players signed up for next season, albeit some are youngsters. Twenty. Four. 

The midfield is a huge concern already. The manager has lumbered us with so much shite that there isn’t really any wiggle room to improve, unless we end up with similar squad numbers to what we’ve ended this season with.  I’ll not go into the individuals but some of those players being here for another 2 years makes me want to greet. 

4 signed strikers and Michael O’Halloran, 2 of whom never score, another two the manager doesn’t trust… and Michael O’Halloran. I’d be throwing Ciftci and Middleton’s wages - or a decent amount of them at least - to try and retain Hendry as that’s pretty grim otherwise too. 

defence looks ok, desperately need a right wing back (if we’re persisting with this manager and therefore system) and probably more cover in the middle as well. 

Goalies… we need better than Parish + kids. Parish don’t got no arms and the young lads are the future, but don’t think they’re the present. 

in terms of the out of contract players, only ones I’d even entertain keeping are Clark, Rooney, Mccart, Davidson and Hendry. Liam leaves with his head held high and Bryson contributed towards the end of last season. The likes of Ciftci shouldn’t even be reporting for training at this point. He clearly can’t be arsed so get him out of the changing room. 

most depressingly of all, 

Callum Davidson - 2025. 

what an absolute mess. 

Fucking depressing.He's completely wrecked the team.Stand by to lose Hendry,Rooney,McCart etc and be left with what CD thinks are good players Crawford and Macpherson being prime examples.

It would be curious to know what players do have relegation release clauses. 

Hallberg feels an obvious one.