Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I have been a member here since 2011 and never commented. But Callum has brought me out the woodwork. A supporter all my life and a season ticket holder for the last 20 years.

Like Saruman's actions in lord of the rings awaking the ents, Davidson is rising even the most laid back supporters from their slumber, and I am commenting because I want these "journalists" to know that it is not just a few disgruntled fans who have twitter that are fed up of Davidson, it's a large section of the support for whom I am sick and tired of them assuming that they speak for.

I am Callum out. Of course I like him, he is a club legend as a player and manager and did the unthinkable last season. But, as the saying goes, you either leave a hero or stay long enough to see yourself become the villain.

His "style" of football makes my eyes bleed. His predictable game plan, formation and team selection are laughable. If he managed a shop that wasn't making money would he just decide not to attempt to change anything?

I have given him so many benefits of the doubt, and he did earn those in my opinion. But that interview yesterday and the quotes are starting to make me feel stupid and like we, as supporters, don't matter.

He is treating the support with contempt. I hate to say it, but I'd even take him going mad and saying he was going to go hungry and turn off his heating ahead of the Aberdeen game tonight instead of this.

I hope the journalists are reading this and realise that its not a tiny section of saints fans with twitter accounts, it's actually a large section of the support, and the only reason he isnt getting a chant at the match calling for him to be sacked yet is because we are there to support the team, not him. But then again, give it time.

4 hours ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

I’m getting a 30 second ‘preview’ of some woman’s loft ladder. 

Do I need to be a subscriber in addition to a season ticket holder to watch his pish now? 🤦🏻‍♂️

I’ve a subscription on top of my season ticket as I had the same issue earlier on in the season, not sure if it was even necessary but I was too lazy to find a solution so just subscribed. Not that I’ll be renewing that subscription beyond this season…

Edited by PSJ.84

Most of Scottish Football hopes Steve Brown doesn't give in under the weight of some St Johnstone fans collectively stamping their feet like chastened toddlers.  Davidson deserves another season at least to prove himself.

He has had long enough in my opinion.

4 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Euphemism?

Haha no! She is presumably going to be interviewing Callum and it looks like she’s been up clearing out the loft in the background! 

Anyway I guess I’ll have to miss out on whatever gems he came out with in the interview. Probably a good thing. 

1 hour ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

Haha no! She is presumably going to be interviewing Callum and it looks like she’s been up clearing out the loft in the background! 

Maybe she was looking for Jahmal Hector-Ingram?

Anyway, in terms of line-up I expect to see the same as started at Livi, unless Booth is still injured in which case he might well start Brown as LWB. Rather than playing the back 4 we actually have the players for, of course. To be fair to James he did 'fine' and forced Forrest to go wide, I thought. 

Have the worry that despite protestations from the fans Aberdeen might be quite up for this, pride and contracts on the line. 

Did well at the bookies last night on the Dundee game, thought there would be a home win and a few goals. Can see goals tonight, just not many. 

1-1. Hendry, and Jenks to pick the ball up at the half-way line and basketball dribble it into the net. 

4 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Anyway, in terms of line-up I expect to see the same as started at Livi, unless Booth is still injured in which case he might well start Brown as LWB.

Sounds like Booth us out, and he was bigging up Brown's ability to play LWB today too.

Had half wondered if we'd see Middleton there tbh.

3 hours ago, locheedee said:

Ahh its ok though, he'll be a better St Johnstone manager next year apparently https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/3279542/callum-davidson-st-johnstone-manager/

Why would he not be a better manager after the experience of this year?

There isn’t that much between the Saintees and the rest up to 4th. It’s fine margins. You are arguably the 2nd smallest club in the league now Accies are gone, obviously Livi are now the smallest. 
You lost Kerr and it’s affected McCart, it’s not easy to sign a replacement of that level.

You also lost the heartbeat of the midfield in McCann, again nearly impossible to replace. 

Rooney hasn’t been anywhere near as prominent this year either which is a big blow as he was everywhere in your cup runs.

Factor in that the league is tougher now all the biggest teams are in it and there’s always a fair chance you will be in a relegation fight regardless of who the manager is. 
Aberdeen are only 1 place above and they have a far far bigger budget and fan base. 
Livi or whoever could just as easily be down next season. 

If you survive then surely the manager gets a chance next season having had the opportunity to learn so much this season toughing it out after having the highs of your greatest ever season previously?

ps you may think the football has been shite to watch, but so does most fans of every team out with the top 3. 

2 minutes ago, big al said:

There isn’t that much between the Saintees and the rest up to 4th. It’s fine margins. You are arguably the 2nd smallest club in the league

Just f**k off with this pish. We won more trophies last season than massive sides like Aberdeen have won in 30 years.

Relegation is inevitable for us at some point over a span of 30 years, that's not the issue.

10 hours ago, Radford said:

For me, it most certainly is not that. Not in the slightest. Can't emphasise that enough. It could all go very wrong. 

BUT...

The thought of watching this same group (believe he has around 20 players signed up) playing the same way, under the same manager, next season almost terrifies me. Just 16 goals scored by St Johnstone players from open play in 37 home league games under him. 

The next four (two?) games won't determine the future direction of this club. That will be mapped out by a decision the chairman makes before the end of this month.

You know the only difference over the last 15 years or so between us and Partick, Dunfermline, Raith Rovers, Ayr United, Falkirk, Morton and you could probably add Dundee in there as well, .. is our leadership over that time.

We don’t have much more of a fanbase, or rich ownership or even a prolific youth development programme like Motherwell or st Mirren.

Its making the right, sensible decisions at the right times and not overreacting to background noise. Excellent managerial appointments, no knee jerk panic sackings, backing the managers enough without jeopardising the club’s future, seamless transitions between coaching staffs’.

We’re far from perfect, but every single one of those other clubs has been blighted by fairly regular shite decisions, or ego’s in the boardroom or overspending on big name failures, etc etc.

I trust the chairman and board to know how the ground lies.

A bit of honest soul searching and evaluation on how we got everything so wrong this season is required.  If they feel Davidson has had a howler but learned from it and is capable of re-inventing the way he sets us up then so be it.
If it is felt Davidson has run his course then we’ll find out.

Relegation would be the worst thing that could happen.

5 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Most of Scottish Football hopes Steve Brown doesn't give in under the weight of some St Johnstone fans collectively stamping their feet like chastened toddlers.  Davidson deserves another season at least to prove himself.

Nonsense

19 minutes ago, big al said:

The evidence from this season for a start. Because this has been a car crash of a season domestically from almost day one. Fine, we lost two of our best players in August, but we hadn't won in 10 domestic games before that. The problems and the weaknesses were glaringly obvious to fans and opposition managers alike.

So you'd hope he'd start adapting, start learning, but no. By January, when we were bottom of the league he was given a lot of funds to improve matters. Far more than anyone else in the bottom six. He spent lavishly, yet many his signings have been hardly used since. One has never played. Of those who have, with the exception of Cleary (a step above Davidson's rotten signings earlier in the year), they've shown themselves to have been as bad, or worse, than the players he signed them to replace.

So you hope that he'd at least acknowledge his managerial flaws and that he needed to change things. He's still a young manager. But no, again: in his stop-start, cliche-ridden interviews, it's everyone else who is to blame. He picked on one player for a loss against an old firm team - chucking him out on loan weeks later. He's railed at referees. He's moaned about luck, as if he didn't benefit from it last year. But never in my hearing has he accepted his own culpability or that he'd learn from it or adapt the way we play. Still filled with hubris from last season, he thinks he's a great coach and it will all come good in the end.

He's clearly not a better manager. He shows no obvious willingness to identify what's gone wrong or to improve, which is why I can't see him getting better in the future.

Edited by Mr Heliums

15 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I trust the chairman and board to know how the ground lies.

A bit of honest soul searching and evaluation on how we got everything so wrong this season is required.  If they feel Davidson has had a howler but learned from it and is capable of re-inventing the way he sets us up then so be it.
If it is felt Davidson has run his course then we’ll find out..

What have you seen this season that suggests he is going to change? If he's played basically the same system and tactics all season, with terrible results (and signed some total rubbish to play in the system), why would he do something different next season?