Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

3 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Found it. 466 v Albion Rovers in 1986, as per https://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/history-and-honours

Crowds for games in that period will almost certainly be wrong. Aside from likely incorrect counting, there was always a fair few went in for last 20 mins when the gates were opened, parents of kids there, passer by's and folk who could afford to go.

Also to add, I'm pretty sure if you look at most scottish clubs, the lowest attendances would probably be in the 1980's. The 1950's were the boom time for crowds and its no coincidence that probably East Fife aside, the clubs which retain the biggest supports are the ones who had success in that period.

BL_0000458_19900330_442_0048.jpg.7f64d69e45d34078750b754c95146f08.jpgTalking about significant games, I love stumbling across links between quite separate moments of our history. Reading an old PA published the day before one of the biggest games in our history against Airdrie in 1990, I browsed a few pages back and saw a wee report tucked into the Announcements section:

1918271692_Screenshot2022-05-03at21_18_51.png.b043ec51609f36e65eef2317bff04de8.png

Thank f**k we go straight into the Play Off Final btw, both ICT and Partick look more than a match for us.
Christ.

Not a chance we’d have the character to come from a goal behind to win a game like that. Even if we’d scramble it back to 1-1 with a scab goal Davidson would shut up shop and try to secure the point. We’re obviously shite but the worst things for me is being so bored and fed up of watching the way this manager sets out this team of shitebags, when idiots like Billy Dodds can get a team playing some decent football with less resources.

I think what gets me as much as the utter humdrum served up by this Davidson-coached side is the enabling of it by those priding themselves on somehow being better fans. 

I have absolutely no problem if someone wants to make a defence for the manager (and I'd start with the complete lack of availability of so much of last season's core) but that's not what is happening. Instead we are getting told that we aren't a sacking club, things were worse at... the lowest point in our history... and/or we should simply just be blindly trusting Callum Davidson, cause... just cause.

He deserves the chance to take us back up is the shout. In that case, did we not deserve for him not to be applying for every job going in England last summer? No wonder the man had no interest in long-term signing policy, he didn't even think he'd be here. 

No doubt this new contract had plenty of get-out clauses for him, just hope the club have protected themselves as well. 

Edited by Radford

Aye you don't even get a debate from those who want Davidson to stay really.

- Get told he's been hampered by poor recruitment. 

- Say you think he's been poor at recruiting for two seasons now so why do they think that'll improve this Summer.

- Get told you've got a personal agenda and hate the manager.

Great stuff.

I’m not exactly in the massively Davidson out camp, but I do think a clean break at the end of the season is best.

I heard a suggestion that if Rowett took the Blackburn job he might be able to persuade Callum to go as his assistant again. Do I think he would? Na he’s been his own man now.

I think there will be a break at the end of the season, irrespective of where we find ourselves.

It was understandable that the board let him have the January window – Davidson's successes last season earned him credit and the right to spend that money. It hasn't worked. Davidson still doesn't recognise the poverty of the football of the team he picks. The referees still get the blame.

But the board isn't daft. It will have to look forward in May, and will surely be swayed by the certainty that a section of fans won't renew their season tickets unless there's change. This season has been awful value for money, everyone knows it and no-one, other than the blindly loyal, see any way of things improving. The prospect of another season of Davidsonball, set off by the introduction of VAR, will find plenty looking desperately for other things to do on a Saturday.

Laughing/crying at our placing in some of the predictions in this thread. The number of people, myself included, who thought we’d be top six must be a record. Been pointed out before, but the sheer lack of relegation shouts is a new low also

30 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I heard a suggestion that if Rowett took the Blackburn job he might be able to persuade Callum to go as his assistant again. 

This would be the ideal outcome for everyone after he keeps us up.

Which looks more unlikely with every passing day. 

26 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

I think there will be a break at the end of the season, irrespective of where we find ourselves.

It was understandable that the board let him have the January window – Davidson's successes last season earned him credit and the right to spend that money. It hasn't worked. Davidson still doesn't recognise the poverty of the football of the team he picks. The referees still get the blame.

But the board isn't daft. It will have to look forward in May, and will surely be swayed by the certainty that a section of fans won't renew their season tickets unless there's change. This season has been awful value for money, everyone knows it and no-one, other than the blindly loyal, see any way of things improving. The prospect of another season of Davidsonball, set off by the introduction of VAR, will find plenty looking desperately for other things to do on a Saturday.

Season tickets sales forecast will certainly be a big factor, can easily see them being half of this year. The folk that bought after the double definitely won't renew and even change of manager won't save that. I actually think that that keeping Davidson would suppress sales more than dropping a division. 

On the plus side, I don't think that VAR extends to the Championship does it?

I think if we stay up, empty CD and ideally get a reasonably high profile manager in charge we just might get back to 20/21 sales. 

Nice to the manager confirm he's been aware we're definitely losing Clark this Summer for a while, so there is now absolutely no excuse for it being Parish as first choice next season.

A slither of hope.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Nice to the manager confirm he's been aware we're definitely losing Clark this Summer for a while, so there is now absolutely no excuse for it being Parish as first choice next season.

A slither of hope.

I'm not saying you're going down, but if you do, then Parish is a very solid and respectable top end Championship keeper if you look at the absolute jobbers in the league that have been first choice this season:

Zach Hemming
Derek Gaston
Mark Ridgers
Jamie Sneddon
Jamie MacDonald
Ryan Fulton
Jack Hamilton
Aidan McAdams
Denis Mehmet/Owain Fon Williams/Jakub Stolarczyk
Josh Rae

I'd have Parish ahead of the vast majority of those tbh.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm not saying you're going down, but if you do, then Parish is a very solid and respectable top end Championship keeper if you look at the absolute jobbers in the league that have been first choice this season:

Zach Hemming
Derek Gaston
Mark Ridgers
Jamie Sneddon
Jamie MacDonald
Ryan Fulton
Jack Hamilton
Aidan McAdams
Denis Mehmet/Owain Fon Williams/Jakub Stolarczyk
Josh Rae

I'd have Parish ahead of the vast majority of those tbh.

Parish isn't a bad keeper he's just a complete jinx. 

Parish isn't a bad keeper he's just a complete jinx. 

The hearts home game was utterly mental, guy seemed to be making saves by accident.

16 hours ago, Broughty said:

Can't remember the crowd, thought it was more than that but I certainly was there and remember we scored five goals in the last 20 minutes to win 5-2. It was a tremendous fightback and did we not go on to win the league?

Does anyone even remember when we last scored five goals? Even in a month.

:lol:

We've managed it this month already.

Always felt like his average level is actually fine but he's so inconsistent you're shiteing yourself every time the ball comes anywhere near the area. Bit like a slightly worse version of Enkleman really.