Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's almost suggested Davidson might have a better career than Ferguson in the end too.

Nice to see everyone's auld da is still on the go too...

Screenshot_20220503-150951_Facebook.thumb.jpg.9a502e9f32f7fb4374671e1f4ba630a8.jpg

Virtually a full house of old man Saints fan bingo.

Why does everyone always pick Albion Rovers as being the nadir?

Poor old Rovers.

Interesting that nadir means..."the lowest or most unsuccessful point in a situation".

The amount of people that were allegedly at that game…
Remember Geoff's comments saying saints would have been fine in those days if half the people who claimed to be at the East Stirling game were actually there.

The oddest thing I find about the attitude is that it should be the expectation. I've been going for almost exactly 30 years now and in that time we've spent 10 in the second tier and only once finished in the bottom half of that division (which took some comically bad management). We've also won 3 trophies, had numerous semi finals as well as European appearances. How long does it have to last before thats the expectation?

Even if you look the other way in history, you'd arguably have to go back to the 50's to find a comparable period to the middle part of the 80's. Using it as a standard is total weirdo behaviour.

The financial position of the club currently means top tier football should be the absolute minimum of its aims IMO. I'm not saying I'm expecting to never be relegated again but even if we go down the clubs in a position where with better leadership you'd expect to be challenging to come back up.

16 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Found it. 466 v Albion Rovers in 1986, as per https://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/history-and-honours

Can't remember the crowd, thought it was more than that but I certainly was there and remember we scored five goals in the last 20 minutes to win 5-2. It was a tremendous fightback and did we not go on to win the league?

Does anyone even remember when we last scored five goals? Even in a month.

Just now, Broughty said:

From memory Fir Park in one of MacLeans final games, if not his final one.

You wonder if there's Man U fans mewling on their forums about how they should be mid-table and fans unhappy they're not in the Champions League are just over entitled spoilt brats?

19 minutes ago, Broughty said:

Can't remember the crowd, thought it was more than that but I certainly was there and remember we scored five goals in the last 20 minutes to win 5-2. It was a tremendous fightback and did we not go on to win the league?

Think you're getting confused with your Albion Rovers games. The one you're referring to was in our promotion season of 1989-90 and it took place at Coatbridge.

That bloody east Stirling game.
Funnily enough my dad must be the only person who didn’t go, was meant to go but decided he couldn’t be fucked and stayed in the pub.

1 hour ago, The Saintee said:

Why does everyone always pick Albion Rovers as being the nadir?

Poor old Rovers.

Interesting that nadir means..."the lowest or most unsuccessful point in a situation".

And Ciftci means farmer. This whole situation was made for him/us.

1 hour ago, nelsjfc said:

Remember Geoff's comments saying saints would have been fine in those days if half the people who claimed to be at the East Stirling game were actually there.

The oddest thing I find about the attitude is that it should be the expectation. I've been going for almost exactly 30 years now and in that time we've spent 10 in the second tier and only once finished in the bottom half of that division (which took some comically bad management). We've also won 3 trophies, had numerous semi finals as well as European appearances. How long does it have to last before thats the expectation?

Even if you look the other way in history, you'd arguably have to go back to the 50's to find a comparable period to the middle part of the 80's. Using it as a standard is total weirdo behaviour.

The financial position of the club currently means top tier football should be the absolute minimum of its aims IMO. I'm not saying I'm expecting to never be relegated again but even if we go down the clubs in a position where with better leadership you'd expect to be challenging to come back up.

39 minutes ago, mizfit said:

That bloody east Stirling game.
Funnily enough my dad must be the only person who didn’t go, was meant to go but decided he couldn’t be fucked and stayed in the pub.

Albion Rovers, boiz. Not the 'shire.

Albion Rovers, boiz. Not the 'shire.
Rovers was the record low home game. East Stirlingshire was away and probably the lowest ever at any properly competitive saints match.

Thank f**k we go straight into the Play Off Final btw, both ICT and Partick look more than a match for us.

Christ.

3 hours ago, nelsjfc said:

This.

I’m of an age that I’ve only really been going for 15 odd years, fully aware that I probably have been spoilt. That doesn’t mean that I should just accept the shit-show that we’ve seen this year. The bar has to rise at some point, that’s how you grow as a club.

Relegation is/was bound to happen at some point, it doesn’t mean there can’t be anger at it. Folk accepting of this season because we had a sticky period in the 80’s are wild.

2 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Think you're getting confused with your Albion Rovers games. The one you're referring to was in our promotion season of 1989-90 and it took place at Coatbridge.

No the game I'm taking about was at Coatbridge and I was there. The crowd figure doesn't matter.

3 hours ago, Broughty said:

15 minutes ago, Broughty said:

No the game I'm taking about was at Coatbridge and I was there. The crowd figure doesn't matter.

You literally responded on a thread talking about our lowest home crowd at Muirton and said you were there. That's why I said you had the games mixed up.

Edited by Mr Heliums