Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I wouldn’t say McDiarmid is an embarrassment, it’s no different to most other Scottish stadiums of a similar size. My issue is that it’s a depressing place to be (like most Scottish stadiums tbh) and in dire need of a facelift. It looks like it hasn’t changed since the day it was built. The cold, grey concourses do nothing to lift the spirit. Mizfit has already covered the main things I’d like to see done. Get rid of the red and yellow seats. Sell them to some lower league jobber like Alloa, Brechin or perhaps one of the many teams upgrading their grounds further down the pyramid system. Replace these seats with a sea of blue and get big block white letters in - ‘SJFC.’ Paint the concourse. Create a mural or get some historical pictures up with some information to read, pictures of famous matches from days gone by, famous players, the cup wins, etc. Erect rail seats in the singing end.

As for the pitch, plastic - not for me. Don’t like plastic pitches at all. It wasn’t so long ago that Ross County had one of the best grass pitches in the country, I’m pretty sure only bettered by those at the Emirate’s and the Ethiad. If those Highland bumpkins are able to produce such a high quality pitch up there then what is our excuse for not being able to produce a decent one?

Am I not right in saying there’s some kind of procedure they do every season where the top of the pitch gets skimmed and grass gets re-seeded? It’s clearly not working. 

Remember the original pitch laid at McDiarmid. It was always really good. I’m sure they called it some kind of supergrass from USA. I’m pretty sure it was easily maintained and not replaced for many years until it started to show signs of wear.

Why we couldn’t get the same again I don’t know. Then again, this was also when we got USH which at the time seemed to cause havoc on the pitches in Scotland. 

I still refuse to believe Dens can look like a carpet for most of the season and ours up the road looks like a ploughed field. We must be doing something wrong. 

To me, i think if it doesn't make them money, or save them money, they won't do it.

I can see the pitch getting replaced because there's no way we can continue to play on it, but there's absolutely no chance they're replacing every seat in the ground.

If fans wants rail seating they'll probably have to mostly fund it themselves. Same with having murals painted, I think the club would allow it, if they knew what was getting painted, but they wouldn't be paying for it. I'm fairly sure the toilets haven't been painted since I was helping them do it as part of work experience at school about 15 years ago.

Basics I know but I'm not sure the owners would like that.

To me, i think if it doesn't make them money, or save them money, they won't do it.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m aware the owners won’t pay - because they are narrow minded and tight-fisted.

I'm fairly sure the toilets haven't been painted since I was helping them do it as part of work experience at school about 15 years ago.

[emoji38]

“Geoff, the stadium toilets are in serious need of some TLC.”

“Hmm, okay. How can we keep this as cheap as possible? I know, we’ll get some local school kids to come in and paint it for free. We’ll say it’s for work experience or some shite like that.”

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

emoji38.png

“Geoff, the stadium toilets are in serious need of some TLC.”

“Hmm, okay. How can we keep this as cheap as possible? I know, we’ll get some local school kids to come in and paint it for free. We’ll say it’s for work experience or some shite like that.”

Aye. Someone had already done the borders so they just handed us a tin of paint and a brush and left us too it.

I painted a smiley face somewhere but I've never been able to find it.

That was the same couple of days I got pelted by the entire Saints side with snowballs while helping clear the astro, then Owen Coyle gave me a bollocking for distracting the players 😂

Edited by RandomGuy.

9 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I wouldn’t say McDiarmid is an embarrassment, it’s no different to most other Scottish stadiums of a similar size. My issue is that it’s a depressing place to be (like most Scottish stadiums tbh) and in dire need of a facelift. It looks like it hasn’t changed since the day it was built. The cold, grey concourses do nothing to lift the spirit. Mizfit has already covered the main things I’d like to see done. Get rid of the red and yellow seats. Sell them to some lower league jobber like Alloa, Brechin or perhaps one of the many teams upgrading their grounds further down the pyramid system. Replace these seats with a sea of blue and get big block white letters in - ‘SJFC.’ Paint the concourse. Create a mural or get some historical pictures up with some information to read, pictures of famous matches from days gone by, famous players, the cup wins, etc. Erect rail seats in the singing end.

As for the pitch, plastic - not for me. Don’t like plastic pitches at all. It wasn’t so long ago that Ross County had one of the best grass pitches in the country, I’m pretty sure only bettered by those at the Emirate’s and the Ethiad. If those Highland bumpkins are able to produce such a high quality pitch up there then what is our excuse for not being able to produce a decent one?

I don't think you could remove the seats without them falling to bits. Aside from the plastic going completely goosed. The actual metal frames etc are all crumbling. Unfortunately, it would have to be the while lot ripped out and dumped.

If some of the metal work isn't completely gone, we could do like Aberdeen have done and when a yellow or red seat needs replacing, we replace with a blue one and you end up with something like Brentford have which is a mix of colours.

Club won't want to spend money unless they have to, but it's becoming an H&S issue, so might not have a choice soon.

Going to be 40k blue seets going spare at Everton soon. Steve Brown will be on phone already! 

7 hours ago, mizfit said:

You wonder how feasible something like this would be for the Livingston game.

Airdrie vs Cove this weekend - probably the biggest match in Scotland this weekend - they've also dropped ticket prices to £10 for adults. Some might applaud Airdrie and Dumbarton for their progressive, forward thinking attitudes towards ticket pricing. But this move will obviously result in both clubs going bust by the end of the season. I'm just so glad the Browns are keeping SJFC afloat with their very fair and reasonable prices.

Airdrie vs Cove this weekend - probably the biggest match in Scotland this weekend - they've also dropped ticket prices to £10 for adults. Some might applaud Airdrie and Dumbarton for their progressive, forward thinking attitudes towards ticket pricing. But this move will obviously result in both clubs going bust by the end of the season. I'm just so glad the Browns are keeping SJFC afloat with their very fair and reasonable prices.

We’ve the under 12’s in free with an adult but honestly what harm does increase that to say under 16’s as a 1 off and offer season ticket holders something in return to compensate them for this one game. The club could afford it for a one off big match in my opinion.

I’m sure in the old first division they used to do free entry for a pal with season tickets now and then

3 hours ago, mizfit said:

We’ve the under 12’s in free with an adult but honestly what harm does increase that to say under 16’s as a 1 off and offer season ticket holders something in return to compensate them for this one game. The club could afford it for a one off big match in my opinion.

I’m sure in the old first division they used to do free entry for a pal with season tickets now and then

Didn’t come to anything in the end, but did they not have something similar running for the Celtic game on Boxing Day? £20 for friends of STH or something, which isn’t actually that amazing the more I think about it…

14 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Airdrie vs Cove this weekend - probably the biggest match in Scotland this weekend - they've also dropped ticket prices to £10 for adults. Some might applaud Airdrie and Dumbarton for their progressive, forward thinking attitudes towards ticket pricing. But this move will obviously result in both clubs going bust by the end of the season. I'm just so glad the Browns are keeping SJFC afloat with their very fair and reasonable prices. I'm just so glad the Browns are keeping SJFC afloat with their very fair and reasonable prices.

Seriously, many other clubs let kids in for free, and have done for years? Or do you ignore that because it doesn't fit your cynical argument?

1 minute ago, Radford said:

With 10 matches played since the debacle at Kelty, impressions on the January additions? 

Tony Gallacher
Dan Cleary
John Mahon
Theo Bair
Nadir Ciftci
Tom Sang
Melker Hallberg

Oh, and Jahmal Hector-Ingram. 

Hallberg and Cleary have been big additions so kudos to the club for that