Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

The pitch is enough to make you not look forward to home games. We've seen enough of how it plays in this state over the past decade or so to know that it just ruins every game. 

I'd rather a plastic pitch than what we can produce. 

It's a serious discussion that needs to be had. Is it impossible to produce a good pitch (seems unlikely) or are they going to invest properly in it? 

If the answer to the first question is yes or the second is no, then they need to consider an alternative. 

And maybe without the maintenance of a grass pitch, some love/time/investment can be put into the stadium and surrounds. Truth told, McDiarmid is a bit of an embarrassment these days. 

Edited by Radford

50 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

But,but,but...Chris worked at Gleneagles! 

I'm sure he is more than capable, but the usage of the pitch beyond matchdays needs to be cut.

Sort of adds to the general run down feel to the place. From missing letters to 30 year old tvs that don't work in the food kiosks, to me, it feels like not enough is being done in and around the ground to keep it up to scratch. Not suggesting we spend millions on a refit, but just the basics would help a bit and likely generate some additional revenue.

Guessing things like the scoreboard needing to be upgraded for VAR will be held off until there is funding from central pot, which is fair, but there is pretty cheep and effective incremental bits that can be done.

Edited by Theyellowbox

On 20/03/2022 at 10:35, PauloPerth said:

Maybe the case that we carried a wee bit of luck for a change yesterday?

On another week motherwell’s chance goes in off the post, Cleary gets sent off for the shove (not saying it was, just the way it’s been this season), the free kick at the end goes in or it’s Motherwell who score a worldie out of nothing.

The good thing is we’re giving ourselves a chance in games by staying competitive. We look a bottom six side, but no better or worse than the majority around us.  Just a pity we let the gap get as big, as it really could have been a great dogfight with 4 or 5 clubs involved.

The free kick at the end shouldn't have been given.  Two players ran in to each other.  How can one be more at fault than the other?

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

I'm sure he is more than capable, but the usage of the pitch beyond matchdays needs to be cut.

Sort of adds to the general run down feel to the place. From missing letters to 30 year old tvs that don't work in the food kiosks, to me, it feels like not enough is being done in and around the ground to keep it up to scratch. Not suggesting we spend millions on a refit, but just the basics would help a bit and likely generate some additional revenue.

Guessing things like the scoreboard needing to be upgraded for VAR will be held off until there is funding from central pot, which is fair, but there is pretty cheep and effective incremental bits that can be done.

The TVs in the concourse is one that makes my chuckle a bit each time I walk past one. You’d have thought they’d just get rid of them if they have no use anymore - as you say, it makes the place look and feel old. 

I think the discussion was had earlier in the season, but the state some of the seats are in is a disgrace as well, albeit some of these are out with the clubs control

2 hours ago, Radford said:

Truth told, McDiarmid is a bit of an embarrassment these days. 

Behave yourself. 

Sure there are better stadiums but having been in a fair few in several continents of this world I can truthfully say Mcdiarmid is well above average. The pitch needs fixed and it could be great if done properly, then upkept by competent groundsmen. Who has been on the pitch lately? I have and it looks and feels like the daft hibs c**t tows the lawnmower by clydesdale. The seat fixings are an issue, as are the shitey seats but that's just wear and tear. Legroom is okay and the views are excellent, especially in  the West stand. We could do with some hospitality boxes and extending the east stand back the way to house bars/bookies etc but that's probably asking a bit much of the Browns tbh.

3 hours ago, Radford said:

The pitch is enough to make you not look forward to home games. We've seen enough of how it plays in this state over the past decade or so to know that it just ruins every game. 

I'd rather a plastic pitch than what we can produce. 

It's a serious discussion that needs to be had. Is it impossible to produce a good pitch (seems unlikely) or are they going to invest properly in it? 

If the answer to the first question is yes or the second is no, then they need to consider an alternative. 

And maybe without the maintenance of a grass pitch, some love/time/investment can be put into the stadium and surrounds. Truth told, McDiarmid is a bit of an embarrassment these days. 

I’m surprised that they haven’t resorted to an Astro pitch especially as it might generate extra income. The players association do a survey at the end of each season and the last few years only the plastic pitches have worse marks than McD.

Think the best surfaces appear to be hybrids with Astro sewn into natural grass. Don’t know the cost but that would be irrelevant after the groundsman knackered it by cutting it too often.

McD is now over 30 years old and part of the issue is it’s been left to wither for too long. As another poster said it needs a facelift, new tvs,etc but because they’ve left it for so long what should have been easy upkeep which wouldn’t have been costly has turned into an expensive refit and just like the lack of investment in the team at the right time ie after cup wins, the boards lack of foresight is going to cost the club a substantial amount of money 

I’m not a big fan of Astro pitches, but needs must. The pitch had been ruined since the first home game v hearts, absolute disgrace that it was watered that night after the rain and I don’t think it’s ever recovered.

Also the interior does need an improvement, I’d start with the toilets getting a touch up and replacing they old fucking tellys.

Give the FCU permission to spray their slogans etc all over their end over the close and we can start making the concourse more attractive from there.

Speaking of them, rail seating if it was cheaper should be an option down that end but I gather it’s a ridiculous cost. Seats have looked the same for 30 year and the broken backs in the main stand looked more obvious than ever before. If they can spare the money get the seats a universal colour too.

But, I suppose all of that would be dependent on spare funds that we won’t know until next season.

57 minutes ago, johnoswald2712 said:

Think the best surfaces appear to be hybrids with Astro sewn into natural grass. Don’t know the cost but that would be irrelevant after the groundsman knackered it by cutting it too often.

Hearts seem to have paid "close to £1m" all in for their hybrid pitch, new undersoil heating and new irrigation. 

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/hybrid-pitch-to-be-installed-at-tynecastle-park

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hearts seem to have paid "close to £1m" all in for their hybrid pitch, new undersoil heating and new irrigation. 

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/hybrid-pitch-to-be-installed-at-tynecastle-park

And if we'd just outlayed say 1/4 of a Mill of our rainy day fund on a decent striker we probably could've got a new pitch, new rail seating for the east, all the seats blue and the car park relaid from the group stage money.

And if we'd just outlayed say 1/4 of a Mill of our rainy day fund on a decent striker we probably could've got a new pitch, new rail seating for the east, all the seats blue and the car park relaid from the group stage money.

Cheers, crying again.

16 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Yeah hard not to look back at that opportunity tbh.

I'm not even sure we would've done that badly in the groups tbh, if we had strengthened/kept McCann due to the money.

LASKs group ended up being Maccabi Tel-Aviv, HJK and Alashkert. Feel like all 3 were ones we could've competed with.

Quite like the sound of giving the FCU the opportunity to give the concourse a facelift - if done correctly. Have always found the lack of colour in there quite peculiar, even if it’s not all that important. 

Out of interest, when was the pitch last resurfaced? Have in my head it was fairly recently but have struggled to find anything

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Give the FCU permission to spray their slogans etc all over their end over the close and we can start making the concourse more attractive from there.

That is a phenomenal idea. Clearly one/some of them have some artistic talent, so let them loose.

Motherwell have done some great stuff and hearts have some cracking paint jobs inside Tynecastle.

Aside from the TV's and broken seats, what disproportionately annoys me is the stupid bits of red perspex patch up jobs on the ends of the away stand. Why red if needs done, blue makes more sense.

I think if some of those in charge set foot inside the east, they'd see for themselves how unnecessarily run down it has become. 

That is a phenomenal idea. Clearly one/some of them have some artistic talent, so let them loose.
Motherwell have done some great stuff and hearts have some cracking paint jobs inside Tynecastle.
Aside from the TV's and broken seats, what disproportionately annoys me is the stupid bits of red perspex patch up jobs on the ends of the away stand. Why red if needs done, blue makes more sense.
I think if some of those in charge set foot inside the east, they'd see for themselves how unnecessarily run down it has become. 

I mean, I’ve seen FCU Written enough all over Perth since June it’s only right they’re allowed to do it in the ground [emoji23].

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah hard not to look back at that opportunity tbh.

I'm not even sure we would've done that badly in the groups tbh, if we had strengthened/kept McCann due to the money.

LASKs group ended up being Maccabi Tel-Aviv, HJK and Alashkert. Feel like all 3 were ones we could've competed with.

Great post apart from the keeping McCann bit.  He is on way more money than Saints could possibly offer.

This is excellent btw. 

I know Nicholson has laboured the point a bit and everything that has happened since March 2020 is a huge factor, but I can’t think of too many occasions a club having the sort of season we are, receives the support the players are getting