Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I thought at the time Davidson was lucky not to see red but in hindsight was a harsh yellow. He won the ball and it was momentum.

First comeback win since Jan 2021. That is a monkey off the players back finally.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

I thought at the time Davidson was lucky not to see red but in hindsight was a harsh yellow. He won the ball and it was momentum.

Had a good view of both and neither were cards and one wasn't even a foul. In fact on an other day, neither are fouls. 

Was very obvious that the dressing-room instruction was to try to get Muzz in trouble. The type of shitbaggery that works when you have officials of the quality that we have, so I don't even blame Motherwell for it TBH. 

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

This is a fair point. At times the passing across the back three was pointless under increasing pressure until it eventually went to one who had no option but to clear it long.  Found it frustrating a couple of times we worked it out to Gallacher who could have looked to drive or pass forward, but his first instinct was the safe ball back to McCart.

Other times though we managed to work 1-2’s with the wide player/ deep dropping midfielder to break motherwell’s 3 attackers pressing and gave us space to advance with the extra man in midfield;  I think from HT that changed it in our favour for the opening period of the second half, even though we didn’t create much with it.

The thing regarding Cifti I would say is he played in the same team as Hendry, and look how often Callum got himself on the ball in comparison.

I posted in the match thread about the state of the playing surface and think this has a bit to do with the issue of long balls being played from the back 3. Both Cleary and McCart are reasonably comfortable driving out with the ball and while Gordon isn’t so comfortable doing so he’s more than able to play 10 yard passes to midfielders. However the bounces and bobbles because of the pitch make that difficult so they resort to the easy option of knocking it long. Interestingly in my opinion no team has come to McD in the league and played flowing, passing football including Celtic who are probably the most likely in Scotland to do so. When questioned regarding this their managers pretty much all cite the poor playing surface as a reason.

I fully expect folk to point out our away form to contradict the above but I’m pretty sure it’s more than a coincidence that our worst performances have been at home.

4 minutes ago, johnoswald2712 said:

I posted in the match thread about the state of the playing surface and think this has a bit to do with the issue of long balls being played from the back 3. Both Cleary and McCart are reasonably comfortable driving out with the ball and while Gordon isn’t so comfortable doing so he’s more than able to play 10 yard passes to midfielders. However the bounces and bobbles because of the pitch make that difficult so they resort to the easy option of knocking it long. Interestingly in my opinion no team has come to McD in the league and played flowing, passing football including Celtic who are probably the most likely in Scotland to do so. When questioned regarding this their managers pretty much all cite the poor playing surface as a reason.

I fully expect folk to point out our away form to contradict the above but I’m pretty sure it’s more than a coincidence that our worst performances have been at home.

I agree about the park not helping at all, but isn’t that contradicted a bit by the number of square passes we play across the back three?

Surely thats the most dangerous place to be keeping possession, whereas balls into strikers/ midfielders’ feet at least mean you still have players behind the ball if you lose it.

9 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I agree about the park not helping at all, but isn’t that contradicted a bit by the number of square passes we play across the back three?

Surely thats the most dangerous place to be keeping possession, whereas balls into strikers/ midfielders’ feet at least mean you still have players behind the ball if you lose it.

Not necessarily. The balls being played across the back 3 tend to be uncontested but as soon as any of them are pressed they tend to go long. This might be what they are instructed to do but also may be a result of the pitch.

I’ve said it before, and understand he’s probably been media-trained within an inch of his life, more so than a lot of the squad, but Hendry’s post-match interview is excellent. A real leader and somebody who understands what he’s fighting for

I’ve said it before, and understand he’s probably been media-trained within an inch of his life, more so than a lot of the squad, but Hendry’s post-match interview is excellent. A real leader and somebody who understands what he’s fighting for

Must help having a former Scotland captain as your dad. Imagine he’s helped keep him on an even keel.

Break should allow us to hopefully get to the point where only the two long term injuries are left. Wouldn't be surprised to see a bounce game next weekend for Bryson, Rooney etc

All in all, that’s been a good weekend for us. Dundee still without a win under their new manager after looking like they’d turned a corner with McPake, 4 points clear with a very winnable tie v livi before the final old firm Match this season.

Bottom 5 if it stays the same I think gives us home games v County, Aberdeen and St Mirren and away to Dundee & Motherwell but that’ll be subject to their fixtures I would imagine.

7 points from 10th, I think we’ll be lucky to reach 10th now but the confidence, momentum and Hendrys goals give us a great opportunity.

Get the club to really promote the Livingston game, place needs packed out for that.

@Valentino Bolognese

FWIW...

xG

10yr striker average: 0.32 - Hendry 19/20: 0.5 - Hendry 21/22: 0.27

Goals

10yr striker average: 0.3 - Hendry 19/20: 0.88 - Hendry 21/22: 0.51

xG performance

10yr striker average: 94.59% - Hendry 19/20: 176% - Hendry 21/22: 188.9%

Shots on target

10yr striker average: 0.87 - Hendry 19/20: 1.51 - Hendry 21/22: 0.94

% of shots on target that end in a goal

10yr striker average: 36.45% - Hendry 19/20: 58.17% - Hendry 21/22: 54.2%

So aye, I don't think we can expect him to keep this up unless we dramatically increase the "quality" of chances he gets, expecing him to score a header every week isn't good enough. Hes good but hes clearly not the best striker the league has seen in 10 years which is where his figures are placing him.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

@Valentino Bolognese

FWIW...

xG

10yr striker average: 0.32 - Hendry 19/20: 0.5 - Hendry 21/22: 0.27

Goals

10yr striker average: 0.3 - Hendry 19/20: 0.88 - Hendry 21/22: 0.51

xG performance

10yr striker average: 94.59% - Hendry 19/20: 176% - Hendry 21/22: 188.9%

Shots on target

10yr striker average: 0.87 - Hendry 19/20: 1.51 - Hendry 21/22: 0.94

% of shots on target that end in a goal

10yr striker average: 36.45% - Hendry 19/20: 58.17% - Hendry 21/22: 54.2%

So aye, I don't think we can expect him to keep this up unless we dramatically increase the "quality" of chances he gets, expecing him to score a header every week isn't good enough. Hes good but hes clearly not the best striker the league has seen in 10 years which is where his figures are placing him.

zzzzzzzzzzzz

21 hours ago, johnoswald2712 said:

The pitch is a disgrace and has been for years. I know they wanted a few fans in, but the decision to play 2 games on it yesterday won't have helped. Is the problem the lack of direct sunlight (particularly at Ormond end) in the winter or just poor maintenance/over use?

As for the team, that win coupled with Rangers winning was massive. IF we can beat Livi next time out, we will draw another couple of teams in. Could go into final game before split being 6/7 behind 2/3 teams and while we will likely drop points vs Celtic, some of them play each other and St Mirren have Rangers.

If we can go into post split 6/7 points behind a couple of teams, we give ourselves a shout of 10th. We play the teams we are chasing and they all play each other too.  Clearly need to make sure we don't end up 12th, but on current form, we can start to look upwards too. Dundee have Aberdeen next, so the result of that game could guide Saints target somewhat. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

I'm more than likely wrong but I don't think we create nearly enough to reach 10th.

We'll likely need to win all five and we aren't dominant enough to manage that.

I can see us picking up 10pts between now and the end of the season though.