Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Agree the social media output seems to have dropped in the last few months. Coinciding with Ross leaving?

Also, you can't be teasing new pies in the email subject and not actually tell us what they are!

22 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

Agree the social media output seems to have dropped in the last few months. Coinciding with Ross leaving?

Did he not leave at some point before the Scottish Cup final?  

FWIW, I think the videos Lewis Smith takes at games are great, but are more looking back at alternative goal angles and fan’s celebrations - if there are any. In terms of drumming up excitement for home games, there’s been very little for a while. First world problems, I know

Edited by PSJ.84

30 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

Also, you can't be teasing new pies in the email subject and not actually tell us what they are!

Clearly wasn't just me that went looking for the 2 new pies!

Maybe social media team trying to sort out the issues that led to stuff going out last week that was well out of date.

Agree with the views that we should be doing more to promote this game. 

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

Clearly wasn't just me that went looking for the 2 new pies!

Maybe social media team trying to sort out the issues that led to stuff going out last week that was well out of date.

Agree with the views that we should be doing more to promote this game. 

Mine showed not much as was white text on a white background.

15 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

We'll need him back and in form for next season when Hendry's gone. 

Then in 12 months when Vertainen is refusing we'll have Bair ready to return from his exile.

A cunning plan really.

In all seriousness though, regardless of the upturn in form, we need to seriously address the attack this Summer. We were dominant in the opening 20 mins of the 2nd half yesterday and couldn't create a single chance. Being bailed out by a Hendry wondergoal shouldn't change things as you can't rely on that.

I'm worried in a way the upturn in results will see Davidson convinced he doesn't need to change anything except the players.

Ciftci was ineffective yesterday, but what kind of service was he getting? Someone more tactically clued up than me could be more specific, but we spent an inordinate about of the game passing the ball sideways between the back three, while the wing backs and forwards stood in a line with the Well defence waiting for a punt, and the midfield 3 were posted missing.

Edited by monkfish

Just now, mizfit said:

Simple way to resolve the attack. Never play Ciftci again.

Well that would be a move from dugshite to just plan old shite, so I guess 'less bad' is progress. 

I'm not as convinced that Hendry will be leaving as I was (still highly likely though). He seems to love playing for the club and if we stay up, on current form he'd be looking at, say, 15 goals at least next season and pretty much a nailed on for game time, you'd have to think. Surely a better proposition with a solid season under his belt than what looks on paper like a streaky player with a history of loan spells and until recently attitude/discipline issues, so I expect other clubs would price in qute a bit of risk.

We do absolutely need more quality and depth though. 

@RandomGuy.I'm interested - you've made the point many times that going by the stats his previous purple patch was unsustainable and it was inevitable that his goals would dry up. Is he overperforming to the same extent now? To me it looks different, he's not scoring every time he goes anywhere near the ball. 

4 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Ciftci was ineffective yesterday, but what kind of service was he getting? Someone more tactically clued up than me could be more specific, but we spent an inordinate about of the game passing the ball sideways between the back three, while the wing backs and forwards stood in a line with the Well defence waiting for a punt, and the midfield 3 were posted missing.

He's clearly unfit, very slow, looks disinterested, has suspect touch, absolute foul machine, acted the dick when he was subbed off. 

The sea / bin please. 

3 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

@RandomGuy.I'm interested - you've made the point many times that going by the stats his previous purple patch was unsustainable and it was inevitable that his goals would dry up. Is he overperforming to the same extent now? To me it looks different, he's not scoring every time he goes anywhere near the ball. 

I've not checked tbh, but I'll try tonight at some point, out most of today.

For reference he was outperforming his xG by about 76% in 19/20, which is why I said i thought it was unsustainable. Average striker in our league over the past decade underperforms by 5%. Then 58% of his shots were resulting in a goal, while the 10yr average was 36%. Things like that weren't sustainable to me, as even Old Firm players weren't matching the shots per goal figure i was getting for him, so it was always likely things would go against him for a spell.

8 minutes ago, monkfish said:

This is a fair point. At times the passing across the back three was pointless under increasing pressure until it eventually went to one who had no option but to clear it long.  Found it frustrating a couple of times we worked it out to Gallacher who could have looked to drive or pass forward, but his first instinct was the safe ball back to McCart.

Other times though we managed to work 1-2’s with the wide player/ deep dropping midfielder to break motherwell’s 3 attackers pressing and gave us space to advance with the extra man in midfield;  I think from HT that changed it in our favour for the opening period of the second half, even though we didn’t create much with it.

The thing regarding Cifti I would say is he played in the same team as Hendry, and look how often Callum got himself on the ball in comparison.

Maybe the case that we carried a wee bit of luck for a change yesterday?

On another week motherwell’s chance goes in off the post, Cleary gets sent off for the shove (not saying it was, just the way it’s been this season), the free kick at the end goes in or it’s Motherwell who score a worldie out of nothing.

The good thing is we’re giving ourselves a chance in games by staying competitive. We look a bottom six side, but no better or worse than the majority around us.  Just a pity we let the gap get as big, as it really could have been a great dogfight with 4 or 5 clubs involved.

25 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Maybe the case that we carried a wee bit of luck for a change yesterday?

On another week motherwell’s chance goes in off the post, Cleary gets sent off for the shove (not saying it was, just the way it’s been this season), the free kick at the end goes in or it’s Motherwell who score a worldie out of nothing.

The good thing is we’re giving ourselves a chance in games by staying competitive. We look a bottom six side, but no better or worse than the majority around us.  Just a pity we let the gap get as big, as it really could have been a great dogfight with 4 or 5 clubs involved.

Davidson probably lucky to stay on too, considering the two quick free kicks against him in the first half and how Motherwell were acting?

Tend to think you earn your luck in football, as ultimately something goes for/against you in almost every game and the final results decides what you focus on. We're a lot more solid these days, players seem more able to respond to going behind, and we look less panicky in attack.

It's not perfect but as you say, we don't look like a side who are destined for relegation anymore.