Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

[emoji8]
To be fair bigger supports always bring out the no righters in our support. Semi finals have been a good example of this over the years.
If we sold out, when was the last league game we took 2000 to, anyone?
There was a festive/ new year match at Dens where we scudded them 2-0 with Kennedy running riot about 3-4 years ago, think the Saints support was given as 1800.  
Can’t think of one before that; maybe a championship promotion battle?  There was the blue & white away day at East End Park, then going further back the second last game of the season battling with killie for third place in the late 90’s I’m sure we took 2500 to Rugby Park.  

The best I ever experienced was 4500 Saints fans on the old terracing at Tannadice in our first season back in the premier in 1990 when we were on that great run of beating hearts and Aberdeen and drawing with both halves of the OF.  

Possibly the derby vs Dundee the season we secured promotion. We nearly won the league at Dens but Partick (if I remember correctly) scored a late goal so it went to the last day against Morton.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

The best I ever experienced was 4500 Saints fans on the old terracing at Tannadice in our first season back in 1990...

That was my first away game.

We had over 3,000 at New Douglas Park in 2007.

We had 1,836 at Dens in game above. Then 1,788 home fans at the next game against Livingston! 

Edited by Radford

That was my first away game.
We had over 3,000 at New Douglas Park in 2007.
We had 1,836 at Dens in game above. Then 1,788 home fans at the next game against Livingston! 

What a first game. Must have been a bit of a comedown when you realised it's not like that for every one!

So it could well be our biggest away support in the league since 2007, though I'll be surprised if we sell this one out as most folk that want to go get tickets fairly early.

The interest in Saints was certainly there this season. Can't help wondering if we hadn't made such a f**k up of everything upto the winter break, what kind of crowds we might have attracted.

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

The interest in Saints was certainly there this season. Can't help wondering if we hadn't made such a f**k up of everything upto the winter break, what kind of crowds we might have attracted.

I keep thinking about how big a sliding doors moment it was away to LASK in Austria when Middleton was played in on the keeper with us 1-0 up. A good first touch and he probably scores. 2-0 and it’s likely the game plays out very differently. A very good chance we come into the return leg with the lead. Maybe we see it out and get into the group stages, Kerr and McCann stay for at least the European campaign and we strengthen the squad with real quality at that point.

Maybe.

Edited by Jamie_Beatson

2 hours ago, The Marly said:

Play-off it is then.

Dundee with game in hand against St Mirren, who just lost the manager that had them looking like a relatively solid mid-table outfit, and us with a tougher run-in to the split. Think our head to head would be at Dens. I'd say we're 50/50 for the playoff at best.

Do we stick or twist in the summer with CD if we're in the Championship? On the one hand, we're been picking up more points since his January signings have started to bed in and you could argue that giving him the chance to get us promoted would be great for his managerial chops. He's also likely to be expensive to drop so soon after signing a deal. 

On the other hand we should have a better than average Championship outfit and squad that might be attractive for an up and coming manager, and CD seems slow to learn from mistakes, seems to struggle with half-time, and we can't afford to be a football management training college. 

I'd expect he'd get the first 10 or so games and would probably only get punted if we're in a proper tailspin. 

3 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Do we stick or twist in the summer with CD if we're in the Championship?

He's shown absolutely nothing to suggest he could have a team winning games every week for a full season so we'd have to twist if we wanted promoted straight away. Virtually all our best performances come from us sitting in and countering, that's not it for winning a league especially down there.

I suspect a fair chunk of our squad will be off if we go down. We'd end up with Parish, Brown, Gilmour and May playing regularly.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's shown absolutely nothing to suggest he could have a team winning games every week for a full season so we'd have to twist if we wanted promoted straight away. Virtually all our best performances come from us sitting in and countering, that's not it for winning a league especially down there.

I suspect a fair chunk of our squad will be off if we go down. We'd end up with Parish, Brown, Gilmour and May playing regularly.

Yes we'd likely see players leave but we should still have the infrastructure and wage budget to attract a reasonable quality of experienced or promising managerial talent. 

I'm regularly wrong about almost everything to do with Saints but I'd be a mixture of disappointed and raging if Parish is ever 1st choice keeper.

I like to think I’m patient with managers but I would be pretty outraged if Davidson takes us down and doesn’t get sacked. As it is even if we stay up this season has not been acceptable in any way and he’s only saved by last season’s exploits - if I was Brown I’d be looking for an acknowledgement of that from the manager and signs of improvement at the start of next season as a minimum.

The optimist in me thinks there’s surely a relegation clause in that big contract?

3 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Yes we'd likely see players leave but we should still have the infrastructure and wage budget to attract a reasonable quality of experienced or promising managerial talent. 

They've chucked a fortune at it in January, i doubt they'd be willing to chuck yet another fortune at it if we go down, unless theres major cuts across the board. To me that's fair enough.

15 years of work destroyed in one calender year (2021 will go down as our greatest, but ultimately this fester set in in Jan 21 when we went through a 2nd window without strengthening ourselves long term and also didn't set any PCAs in motion. Its scandalous there wasn't a single deal agreed before the Summer window opened, to me). They've chucked money at it now and if it doesn't work then don't chuck more money at it. Take your time and rebuild all over again.

It's shite and it'll probably take years but long term it should pay off again.

57 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They've chucked a fortune at it in January, i doubt they'd be willing to chuck yet another fortune at it if we go down, unless theres major cuts across the board. To me that's fair enough.

15 years of work destroyed in one calender year (2021 will go down as our greatest, but ultimately this fester set in in Jan 21 when we went through a 2nd window without strengthening ourselves long term and also didn't set any PCAs in motion. Its scandalous there wasn't a single deal agreed before the Summer window opened, to me). They've chucked money at it now and if it doesn't work then don't chuck more money at it. Take your time and rebuild all over again.

It's shite and it'll probably take years but long term it should pay off again.

Or we could just stay up, then punt the c**t.

Saints could have twisted at Xmas, maybe even as late as Kelty but there is no real discernible advantage to a change now. 

We've stopped the rot and that might see us right but there remains evidence that the manager has some fundamental failings. 

We don't need to decide anything at the moment. He's got to show more over the next three months though, or a change could be necessary whatever division we are in. 

He repeated a mistake that he made in Paisley yesterday, a third time would be very concerning. 

I feel if you are only going to give a manager ten games at the start of a new season then you really should have already made the decision. Davidson needs to show he has more in him by May. 

Edited by Radford

16 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Or we could just stay up, then punt the c**t.

Well aye that's the ideal, but I can't see it.

In my mind it's either we stay up and keep him on, or we go down and get rid. Although I'm still not convinced he won't walk when relegated is virtually secured.

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well aye that's the ideal, but I can't see it.

In my mind it's either we stay up and keep him on, or we go down and get rid. Although I'm still not convinced he won't walk when relegated is virtually secured.

He won't.

If nothing else he'll benefit from the pay off of getting sacked.

24 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

He won't.

If nothing else he'll benefit from the pay off of getting sacked.

He probably still thinks EFL Championship sides are after him, so he'll not want a relegation on his CV.

He's just been unlucky with injuries, referees, players not working hard enough, recruitment not working out, bad luck, bad finishing, defensive mistakes, scheduling errors and a tough run of fixtures, this season. Without them we'd be flying.