Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

3 goals and 4 assists last season, when he was arguably in the best form hes ever been in. May was our highest if you combine the two, with 5 goals and 3 assists.

Cheers. In such a critically low scoring side thats a decent chunk to take away.

Thats yer Mahon signed for an undisclosed fee.

25 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Cheers. In such a critically low scoring side thats a decent chunk to take away.

Losing Rooney, Wotherspoon, Conway and Melamed has been a huge blow in terms of goalscoring, no doubt, but one of those is a wing and it was pretty clear two were off in the Summer, so I'm a bit bemused as claims its "bad luck" that we've never replaced their output. It was a clear weakness in the Summer and they done nothing to resolve it aside from taking a punt on a young striker from abroad.

I was actually very surprised at how quiet and subdued the whole Saints crowd was - it’s not usually like that at all at a ‘big’ away day.
Reflecting on the scenes at the end, the way certain fans conducted themselves was a disgrace tbh. Probably the worst was the fat speccy guy having a go at a photographer, genuinely embarrassing stuff. I think booing the team off would’ve been acceptable but the abuse was too far tbh.
James Brown is being hung out to dry playing that RWB role, it’s ridiculous. He got the ball a number of times in promising situations and did absolutely f**k all with it. Can’t beat a man, no inventiveness, crossing poor.
Crawford, I don’t know what to say about. I actually didn’t think he was especially bad yesterday and looked the most likely to score (hit the bar second half and drew a good save first half). However what annoys me is how waif-like he is and how easily he is pushed off the ball. He’s a professional athlete ffs, go to the fucking gym. Just really irrationally irritates me how scrawny he is, same with Tanser when he was here. 
Kelty’s tactics were pretty intelligent. They brought on two energetic, pacy forwards towards the end who stretched the game and caught us on the counter. The difference in how dangerous they looked in comparison to May & Middleton was stark. 
I’m not really sure where we go from here, there’s zero creativity in the team without Wotherspoon. As has already been mentioned, this system is shite and doesn’t suit the players.

How come Kelty can have “ two energetic pacy forwards “ to bring on when all we to bring on are Middleton and May.

Some scenes when we trudge to a 3-0 defeat on Wednesday, punt Davidson, then TW returns and leads us to safety with a front line of Hendry and Vertainen.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Some scenes when we trudge to a 3-0 defeat on Wednesday, punt Davidson, then TW returns and leads us to safety with a front line of Hendry and Vertainen.

I'll take anything just now, but the big plus is he'd revert back to a basic 442 and have the players playing in their more natural positions. Whether they're good enough is another matter but nothing to lose at this point 

Never idea how much truth these is in these things but fans in Ireland are claiming we've paid £100k+ for Mahon, so you'd guess it'll likely be similar to the £150k we bid for Deas.

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

We need a nasty aggressive b*****d for centre midfield.  A ball winner. Someone who will not only get torn in about the opposition, but will also grab some of the shitbags around him by the throat if they are not doing their jobs.

Throw money at it if we are to have any chance of survival.  Not a fringe on the periphery type like MacPherson or Crawford, but a main man to dictate things.

Paul Ramsay. 

1 hour ago, chips said:

I'll take anything just now, but the big plus is he'd revert back to a basic 442 and have the players playing in their more natural positions. Whether they're good enough is another matter but nothing to lose at this point 

Tommy played 3-5-2 quite a lot in his last season.  But it was a proper 3-5-2 with three central midfielders and two proper strikers. This formation we're playing is a case of the manager over thinking things and/or trying to hammer square pegs into round holes. 

18 hours ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Pretty savage. Could be what the manager and players need though. 

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It reads pretty shite from St Mirren tbh, taking advantage of a side on their knees for a quick buck is poor especially when the agreement was he'd be with us for a season and St Mirren have no intention of playing him. But that's football and if the loan agreement meant St Mirren could recall him this month without our permission then anyone with a brain could've anticipated this.

Whole thing is easily avoided if we either avoid giving him a contract he's not deserved/avoid officially giving him the contract until after the window has shut/didn't have stories leaking in the papers every week that we're chucking 6 figure fees about.

Now we'll likely have to waste a fee on someone who we had for the season anyway, who isn't even good enough to help us stay up.

Oh aye its top shitehousery of the highest order. Probably heaping more pressure on Davidson and StJohnstone, another unnecessary mess to sort which the club could be doing without. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Never idea how much truth these is in these things but fans in Ireland are claiming we've paid £100k+ for Mahon, so you'd guess it'll likely be similar to the £150k we bid for Deas.

Had seen somewhere we met the six-figure buyout clause in his contract 

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Pretty savage. Could be what the manager and players need though. 

That what I wonder, probably more in hope.

We need something badly to change, we need something to kick start some kind of form.

Players having to walk through that, it’s going to leave a lasting impression on them. It’s going to hit you a lot harder than going down a tunnel with a few half hearted boos from 50 yards away.

Could go the other way, of course, and some might think why the f**k would I want to win for that shower, but if they’re resilient enough it might fire them up. 

Find out soon enough I guess..

6 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Could go the other way, of course, and some might think why the f**k would I want to win for that shower, but if they’re resilient enough it might fire them up. 

Don't like going "full da", but if pretty much every previous squad over the past 15 years went through that you'd know you'd be getting a response. 

Can you imagine how our 06/07 side would've responded to that situation? Or our first cup winning side? But I guess they never really lost these games so we'll never know.

Players have an easy game to respond with on Wednesday (in terms of its easy to be fired up for it even before yesterday), they could lose it but still get fans onside if we see them responding and reacting.

I feel heart sorry for Liam Craig. An absolute warrior who doesn't deserve his Saints career to be ending this way, yet he'll still front up and put himself in the firing line. I hope he can last another season regardless because I'd hate for him to say farewell this Summer in front of a near-empty McDiarmid Park booing him.

20 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

We need something badly to change, we need something to kick start some kind of form.

Players having to walk through that, it’s going to leave a lasting impression on them. It’s going to hit you a lot harder than going down a tunnel with a few half hearted boos from 50 yards away.

22 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Very poor crowd control that there seems to be only one steward? who was just watching.  Great credit to Liam Craig for taking charge of the situation and making sure Zander didn't do anything stupid. Where are the manager and coaches?