Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

The players should never have been put in the position of having to walk through the fans at full time. I found it quite uncomfortable to be part of and I've no doubt some people went over the score - but I think people have a right to be angry at this stage.

We should have won in 90 minutes today. Kelty offered very little going forward and as the Premiership team we should have taken advantage of that. The big issue, however, is that we are so, so lacking going forward that we never took advantage and for huge, huge spells, didn't look like doing so. Against a League Two side. Inevitably, we made an error and were punished.

The biggest concern was the absolute lack of a reaction to conceding. Only right at the very death did we force a chance, which, to be fair, we should have taken. We didn't, which pretty much sums it up for us just now.

Today was entirely on the manager. This morning we read about not being wed to the system and playing the way that suits the players. Then we play the same shape again. There is a giant vortex in the centre of the park where we are so lightweight it is unreal - lacking in ability and fight. Our system relies on the wing backs having someone inside them to play with - be it a centre back coming forward or a central midfielder providing an option. Neither of those exist just now. But still we persist. The team selection is baffling. Midweek we played MOH at RWB - an attacking player at wing back against one of the better teams in the Premiership. Today we played James Brown - a player of very limited attacking quality - against a team that blew a two goal lead against Edinburgh City last week. It was apparent very, very early on that down the right was where we were going to get most of the space and time - but we persisted with Brown right to the end of the 90. We persisted in playing to him as if he was Shaun Rooney - a player with the physical attributes and attacking ability/intent to take the kind of balls that were fired at Brown today. When he did get the ball under control there was nobody ahead of him, nobody making a run, nobody offering a pass inside. It was tragic.

Coming back to the middle of midfield - Davidson has signed three central midfielders. Crawford, Macpherson on a PCA and Butterfield. None of the three are good enough and it is so, so worrying, that Davidson appears to believe these players are the answer. I dread to think what the question is. We were obviously hampered at the end with MOH going off injured but sticking Cleary out wide was ridiculous. We'd have been better served putting Middleton out there and Craig on the left.

The substitutions are just as bad - Ciftci off when we need a goal. Really? The only player with a spark that can make things happen by himself. Then once we removed him and Kane that's the point we start trying to put crosses into the box.

I've held off and held off, but I think Davidson has to step aside at this point. I don't want him signing any more players and I don't want him picking the team against Dundee midweek. There is no hint at all that he's learned from the repeated defeats caused by the obvious issues and deficiencies in our team just now. Even more worrying, there's been a gaping hole in the middle of the park since August that has been staring us in the face. We should have had players identified to come in on January 1. They haven't materialised - unless Davidson thinks MacPherson and Crawford are those players, in which place God help us. The other signings are the right kind of profile - young, a bit of talent, something to prove. Will they improve us enough to get over the line this season? Time will tell but the signs right now aren't promising.

Dundee on Wednesday is the biggest match of this season by a mile. We can't afford to lose it. Another defeat will surely end it for Davidson but is it a week too far already?

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're surely not claiming we're only playing a back 3 because thats the only shape the CBs can play?

McCart made his name at ICT in a back four and regularly played well there under TW. Gordon has played well in a back four too.

If they're now unable to play a back four then its become the manager has drilled them completely into the back three shape. Its not realistic for us to have to sign a whole new backline every time he wants to change our shape.

Callum says he is playing this system because the players he inherited are suited to that system. Now he has his own players in let's see what his favoured system is....

6 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Callum says he is playing this system because the players he inherited are suited to that system. Now he has his own players in let's see what his favoured system is....

Surely hes not going to shift the blame for us playing this way on that?

7 of our starters today were signed by him.

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

He already has, he's turning on any c**t he can. Operation save big hobbit is in action.

Davidson says he is up for the fight, what a guy.

6 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

He already has, he's turning on any c**t he can. Operation save big hobbit is in action.

Yeah I know whats been happening on that side of it, I just assumed he'd show some humility at some point of this debacle tbh. Blaming others and telling fans blatant lies, like this morning, will do him more harm than good.

I'm not even sure he understands how many people are willing to do whatever they can to help him if he'd simply just ask.

Edited by RandomGuy.

“We need two or three more. I need players who are going to fight because it’s going to be a tough few months.”

Signs Crawford ... then today  “Cammy MacPherson has agreed a pre-contact with us so St Mirren recalled him.  “He played well the other night at Hearts so we will try to get something done."  Based on one half decent game in which we were well beaten??

Disturbing ....