Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Does he really need to though? It's not as if our lack of goals is a secret is it? If he comes out and says all our forwards are shit, where does that get him? None of them respond to a rocket up them.

He knows the forwards aren't good enough, we know it and the players know it.

You're sitting here on the 17th January 2022 thinking there isn't a fundamental issue with the 'system'?

We shouldn't be afraid of sacking Davidson because there's no obvious, standout, replacement in Scotland. Its a big old world.
I can't be arsed going deep into it but I don't think Davidson will be here by the end of the season regardless. He'll either be sacked or walk when relegation becomes obvious, so the club should be planning that next step already IMO.
We need to make sure the next manager understands how important recruitment is, especially long term. Davidson has completely failed in the transfer market over his 2 seasons in charge so far.

Hey@General Disarray - you need to get to work on managers my friend. There’s a real need here.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wheres does the, now fairly regular, digs at a defence thats actually performing well get him?

We're in a really bad place and hes completely reluctant to change a system which sees us barely threatening to score most weeks, it would be nice for him to actually acknowledge that publicly as it would offer a sliver of hope it might improve and maybe get some fan support back.

Just now we've got a massive flashing red klaxon on the top of his head which is the root cause of our problems, yet hes ignoring that to talk about how dirty his shoes are. It makes him look like a clown and the jibe at ref decisions and covid issues (have we even actually been affected that badly this season?) is the sort of shit you expect a Jackie McNamara to come out with. 

He has digs at the defence but tends to either not single out or praise the individuals, but never mentions the attack, with the only player he’s singled out and attacked at any point this season being a ‘striker’

He speaks without thinking much of the time, a lot of his post match interviews are world salad or make it look like he was watching a different game. 

Managers moaning about refereeing decisions all the time is a big red flag for me, especially in our case where we’ve been basically been rank rotten all over the pitch for months. Take some personal responsibility and grow a pair for f**k sake. Aside from the Aberdeen hand ball has much even gone against us?

Separate issue but it’s also the sort of chat which makes me think clubs at our level will go along with Rangers and Celtic when they try and bring the VAR clusterfuck into the league, and I can’t be doing with the soullessness of every goal (and we don’t score many) being checked for the slightest infraction for 5 mins tbh.

4 hours ago, Zamora Fan said:

Managers moaning about refereeing decisions all the time is a big red flag for me, especially in our case where we’ve been basically been rank rotten all over the pitch for months. Take some personal responsibility and grow a pair for f**k sake. Aside from the Aberdeen hand ball has much even gone against us?

Semi final of the cup, handball at their goal not given, would've went to extra time for us to get papped out. There was another around that time as well, canny mind who against and whether we would've been beaten anyway. There's been some woeful refereeing in some of our games this season but we've also been shit and tbh we were probably getting beat in most of these games anyway.

We're now at the point Callum said he wanted all his new players in by, our first game back. What's folks thoughts on our business so far and the "new look" team?

Cleary can’t be any worse than the defenders before him and actually if he’s decent, will allow us to play a settled back 3 for the first time this season. That should in theory help the players in front of him (it won’t), but it’s a start. Gallacher will hopefully push Booth or replace him if good enough, again that’s a positive. As for the rest of it, well we’ve lost our best performing midfielder to injury and not signed anyone there yet, so it’ll be same old pish. Only slight positive I’ve got is Butterfield should be a lot fitter now and whilst he’s no world beater he’s as close as we’ve got to replacing McCann’s technical ability and at least shows ability to pass a ball both safely and forward. 

The fact that’s all I can say, doesn’t bode well for tonight! 

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

What's folks thoughts on our business so far and the "new look" team?

Nice to see an attempt to resolve some issues, but the main ones still seem to be untouched. All feels pointless if the manager won't change how we play anyway.

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wheres does the, now fairly regular, digs at a defence thats actually performing well get him?

We're in a really bad place and hes completely reluctant to change a system which sees us barely threatening to score most weeks, it would be nice for him to actually acknowledge that publicly as it would offer a sliver of hope it might improve and maybe get some fan support back.

Just now we've got a massive flashing red klaxon on the top of his head which is the root cause of our problems, yet hes ignoring that to talk about how dirty his shoes are. It makes him look like a clown and the jibe at ref decisions and covid issues (have we even actually been affected that badly this season?) is the sort of shit you expect a Jackie McNamara to come out with. 

Agreed.  It's like spending a fortune on a lovely new fence when it's actually the garden that needs attention 😒

7 hours ago, Zamora Fan said:

Separate issue but it’s also the sort of chat which makes me think clubs at our level will go along with Rangers and Celtic when they try and bring the VAR clusterfuck into the league, and I can’t be doing with the soullessness of every goal (and we don’t score many) being checked for the slightest infraction for 5 mins tbh.

Handball penalty against Hibs, handball that led to goal by Hearts, handball in semi final, handball v Aberdeen. That’s 4 points and a cup gone due to refereeing mistakes and that’s before we even start to discuss debatable decisions.

Not trying to say that refs are the reason we’re in the position we’re in but don’t try to say they have had no impact either.

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I won't lie, it's a bit creepy when folk I don't know start talking about where I live.

Lighten up. You posted about spending money on your garden. Someone else, probably Tam, mentioned your fence. Tam regularly ribs you about your garden being a mess. It's called a joke wee man.

11 hours ago, Fife Saint said:

You're sitting here on the 17th January 2022 thinking there isn't a fundamental issue with the 'system'?

That's sort of my point. We all know what the problem is, he knows it and the players know it. All I'm saying is that it's not going to help if he comes out in the press and slates the forwards as the underperformance is so bleeding obvious. None of our forward players are the characters who respond to that kind of management. They all have fragile egos. I think a total meltdown on the strikers would have more impact coming from Macca. 

Semi final of the cup, handball at their goal not given, would've went to extra time for us to get papped out. There was another around that time as well, canny mind who against and whether we would've been beaten anyway. There's been some woeful refereeing in some of our games this season but we've also been shit and tbh we were probably getting beat in most of these games anyway.

We're now at the point Callum said he wanted all his new players in by, our first game back. What's folks thoughts on our business so far and the "new look" team?

Was a nonsense in the cup semi but that one obviously nothing to do with where we are in the league. I remember a fair bit going against us last season with the Kerr red card in Paisley, ghost penalty at Pittrodie, onside Hendry header disallowed and non penalty given to Hibs at home - those were annoying because we were actually playing well. Didn’t matter in the end though because our luck changed and we started winning. The moaning from Davidson here is desperate.

No kind of meltdown will improve the strikers. 

MOH and Middleton aren't strikers anyway. 

Vertainen doesn't look to have any future ( if Callum is making a point to the HOR or whatever).

May is done at this level and Kane isn't a finisher and never will be. 

Kane is the only one who could have an effective role but it will never be as a serious goal threat.

2 hours ago, johnoswald2712 said:

Handball penalty against Hibs, handball that led to goal by Hearts, handball in semi final, handball v Aberdeen. That’s 4 points and a cup gone due to refereeing mistakes and that’s before we even start to discuss debatable decisions.

Not trying to say that refs are the reason we’re in the position we’re in but don’t try to say they have had no impact either.

Have to agree with the majority here that our possible/likely relegation isn't due to the referees, and certainly not covid. 

However I do think that the McCart 'penalty' and subsequent sending off felt both at the time and with hindsight as a sliding doors moment in our season. We'd been shaky up till then but that game had the air of doom about it and I think really contributed to McCart's form slide. 

Sometimes it can be decisions that go against you that turn a season because it turns the mood of the team. It's the manager's job to get them back on track, not compound a sense of victimhood. 

FWIW I didn't think there would be any huge benefit to him coming and calling everyone shite. 

But there's serious question marks over him as a manager just now and the image he's giving of one who's utterly obsessed with defensive performance and can't see the issue with us going forwards. If he never talks about the attacking issues, and never changes the set up to make us look more attacking, how are we meant to know he actually knows how serious a problem it is?

41 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Kane is the only one who could have an effective role but it will never be as a serious goal threat.

A severe irritation of mine is that Kane’s goals are usually excellent finishes. Look at his first against Dundee, the header against Celtic or his goal in the semi against St Mirren last year. Excellent striker play, but then he goes weeks without coming close.

As far as criticising the defence goes, we are still statistically one of the better defences in the league, yes, but that doesn’t mean they’re above criticism. Some of the goals we’ve given away have been absolutely criminal.

The forward areas are the clear issue, however. We need Ciftci to hit the ground running and probably someone like Butterfield to really start showing what he’s all about. Will it happen? Who knows.

Tonight is probably more about not getting pumped and getting people into the team and playing. Agree with Radford though that to lose all three games in the coming week or so would be terminal.

33 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

A severe irritation of mine is that Kane’s goals are usually excellent finishes. Look at his first against Dundee, the header against Celtic or his goal in the semi against St Mirren last year. Excellent striker play, but then he goes weeks without coming close.

Think Kane is often a decent finisher where it’s instinctive, one hit.  It’s when there’s time to think about it he’s a lot less effective.

That rebound miss from the penalty in the cup final sticks in my memory as particularly bad!