Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

We shouldn't be afraid of sacking Davidson because there's no obvious, standout, replacement in Scotland. Its a big old world.

I can't be arsed going deep into it but I don't think Davidson will be here by the end of the season regardless. He'll either be sacked or walk when relegation becomes obvious, so the club should be planning that next step already IMO.

We need to make sure the next manager understands how important recruitment is, especially long term. Davidson has completely failed in the transfer market over his 2 seasons in charge so far.

20 minutes ago, NYD1997 said:

Whilst I agree with what you are saying about changing formation and style, that is one thing that Hibs fans complained about with Ross - who, outside of Alloa & St mirren, has really struggled when in charge, and even then with both of them he had a good core of players for their level before going there.

The building the core part brings it back to what the HOR’s responsibilities are - if he is to bring in the players is that who he is bringing in, and if not what exactly is the point in having him (personally I’m not a fan and have made that clear) 

Mcciness I can understand however at Aberdeen one of the main criticisms of him was he was too defensive - although I agree with getting players in which he did have an amazing knack of

Fair comment about Ross, he will sign players with more (better) attacking instincts than Davidson IMO. Even in interviews over the last couple of days, Davidson is still talking about addressing defensive issues and getting back to basics (which we do need to do) but no mention of getting up the park more, creating more chances, putting the chances we create away. As RG has said though, there’s a world of managers out there who would love the budget Davidson has been allocated. 

With a few exceptions, the profile of the players we’ve signed since the HoR has come in has remained the same. Grieve talked about bringing in young players from the divisions below and looking to build long term. I’ve also listened to a podcast where he discusses not really liking the loan market or signing too many players over 28. Could be wrong, but that all suggests to me that Davidson still has the final say on who is brought in. The Ciftci interview today - where he said he didn’t even think about whether to sign Ciftci or not - only strengthens that view for me (and also that he doesn’t really know how to balance a squad. Ciftci might turn out to be a brilliant signing but surely he shouldn’t be jumping in with 2 feet without doing at least some due diligence on who he is bringing in and how it will compliment what we have).  He’s surely not saying that unless it was his call. 

McInnes and to a lesser extent Wright had the gift of the gab. They could sell the club better than Davidson can IMO. Maybe CD is sitting on 5 or 6 excellent signings, but I’m fearing more short term fixes on a fortune rather than playing the longer game and signing players who can contribute now and who can improve and make the club money in the future. 

Edited by Kyle

5 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

The Japanese signings for Celtic were only a few days before Ciftci. Why do we find it so difficult to get clearance?

I could be wrong (second time I've said that in as many posts) but I don't think they'd need the same paperwork as they are proven internationals. 

1 minute ago, The Marly said:

I wouldn't sack Davidson just yet. But if we are relegated he has to go. If he keeps us up then he should be left in no uncertain terms that we must start next season much better,  both in terms of results and style/entertainment. 

Yeah, I think in the summer if you'd said we'd be relagated, most (?) fans would have said he would then deserve the chance to take us back up. 

Absolutely no chance can he be in charge next season if we go down. 

And unless there is a big improvement on what we've seen since October, that should apply if we stay up as well. 

4th best defence in the league?

Just imagine if we had a competitive midfield and even a half decent striker...

more defenders because that's the issue. Christ even the Hoover dam will break if enough water gets chucked at it.

Edited by Shaggy Jenkins

2 hours ago, NYD1997 said:

If he was to leave tomorrow personally I would be struggling outside of Macca taking over … Outside of that there would not be anyone I would even consider 

What has Steven MacLean done as a coach that indicates he'd be a good manager?

We went down this path with John Connolly.

Following on from his complaints this morning about having to improve how we defend, we've now been hit by this...

“I am expecting better performances and results. “Let’s just hope we get some luck with better refereeing decisions and breaks with Covid issues and hopefully we can fire up the league.”

... has he actually ever referenced the lack of attacking threat at any point this season?

I'm sure there must be at least one interview wheres he talked about having to improve that side of things.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

... has he actually ever referenced the lack of attacking threat at any point this season?

I'm sure there must be at least one interview wheres he talked about having to improve that side of things.

Does he really need to though? It's not as if our lack of goals is a secret is it? If he comes out and says all our forwards are shit, where does that get him? None of them respond to a rocket up them.

He knows the forwards aren't good enough, we know it and the players know it.

9 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

If he comes out and says all our forwards are shit, where does that get him?

Wheres does the, now fairly regular, digs at a defence thats actually performing well get him?

We're in a really bad place and hes completely reluctant to change a system which sees us barely threatening to score most weeks, it would be nice for him to actually acknowledge that publicly as it would offer a sliver of hope it might improve and maybe get some fan support back.

Just now we've got a massive flashing red klaxon on the top of his head which is the root cause of our problems, yet hes ignoring that to talk about how dirty his shoes are. It makes him look like a clown and the jibe at ref decisions and covid issues (have we even actually been affected that badly this season?) is the sort of shit you expect a Jackie McNamara to come out with. 

Edited by RandomGuy.