Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Serious question, what's the script been with Cammy MacPherson?

I mean, a lot of St. Mirren fans were miffed he was allowed to leave. I personally wasn't bothered as I feel that he has 1 game in 4 where he's great and then 3 where he steams about the pitch looking like he can barely pass the ball 5 yards. Shows plenty of tenacity but it sometimes takes a bit more than that. 

Has he shown much for St. Johnstone? 

He’s done absolutely f**k all for us. If he has any footballing ability he’s doing a good job of not showing it. 

I think what makes it worse is he looks like he thinks he’s supremely talented and the next David Beckham, taking all the set pieces etc. And he’ll receive the ball when there’s a simple pass on to get us moving, he’ll take an absolutely age to try and wind up a 40 yard Beckham-esque crossfield ball instead and mis-hit it. Because, well from what I’ve seen, he’s absolutely shite. 

Take him back please!!

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean, a lot of St. Mirren fans were miffed he was allowed to leave. I personally wasn't bothered as I feel that he has 1 game in 4 where he's great and then 3 where he steams about the pitch looking like he can barely pass the ball 5 yards. Shows plenty of tenacity but it sometimes takes a bit more than that. 

I'd go as far to say Ali Crawford is better than him. That's all you need to know.

11 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

One good game in four would be a massive improvement for the lad.  He's shite,  championship level at best.

There's something under the surface with MacPherson, where I think a talented coach could make a decent player out of him. He just seems completely disinterested in the game when he doesn't have the ball though, so constantly let's players run off him/let's players go past him, as he's not concentrating. On the ball he seems to default to the most complicated ball sometimes.

In a different squad he probably plays a squad role for us and doesn't look awful, but not in this one as a starter. 

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

At least nobody can say Davidson isn't looking ahead with his squad building then.

McPherson and Wighton? Oaft. 

Signing shite players u26 is progress from signing shite players 30+, tbf.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Signing shite players u26 is progress from signing shite players 30+, tbf.

I’d just like us to sign a few good footballers. I appreciate what you’re saying about age but someone like Greg Stewart would be a good move in terms of increasing the quality of football in my opinion. 

I appreciate he’s no spring chicken and lacks pace but give me two or three midfield and attacking players in the Greg Stewart/Paul Sheerin mould who are talented footballers, over more guys like O’Halloran or Kane who can run fast or work hard but lack footballing ability.

I await being shot down (we won’t pay for players like that / there’s no way players like that are available in January / I’m just wrong) but that’s my opinion. 

£250,000 from UEFA on its way due to the old firm progressing in Europe.

Just call Inverness and tell them to take it for Deas. Then send McCart on his merry way to Hibs early and take back Drey Wright.

28 minutes ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

I’d just like us to sign a few good footballers. I appreciate what you’re saying about age but someone like Greg Stewart would be a good move in terms of increasing the quality of football in my opinion. 

I appreciate he’s no spring chicken and lacks pace but give me two or three midfield and attacking players in the Greg Stewart/Paul Sheerin mould who are talented footballers, over more guys like O’Halloran or Kane who can run fast or work hard but lack footballing ability.

I await being shot down (we won’t pay for players like that / there’s no way players like that are available in January / I’m just wrong) but that’s my opinion. 

I like Greg Stewart and agree he'd improve what we have in attack.

I just don't think, in the context of the squad as it is, chucking a lot of money at a 31yo who IMO wouldn't work in our system, isn't the right move.

We need to add quality to the squad but it has to make sense. We don't want tied down to more MOH/May types, who simply don't have a role in the shape the manager has committed to.

27 minutes ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

That's what makes the timing of  availability of funds quite frankly baffling.Why make them available now when there's way less options than there was last summer when we needed to strengthen Smacks of reactive desperation rather than  proactive signings when we were flying high.Sickening really.

45 minutes ago, mizfit said:

£250,000 from UEFA on its way due to the old firm progressing in Europe.

Just call Inverness and tell them to take it for Deas. Then send McCart on his merry way to Hibs early and take back Drey Wright.

Can we rephrase this?

Only 250k this year as both Celtic and Rangers let the nation down.

We had the chance to sign Greg Stewart in the summer and passed as we couldn't compete financially. 

Anyway, I'm not sure if he or Drey would provide any better outcomes in results if their last few seasons in Scotland are anything to go by. Two proper strikers and a decent midfielder and we stay up. Anything else then we're in trouble.

It's a shame for MacPherson. It was becoming clear he wasn't going to progress into a great player but he seemed to have all the attributes to be an average lower Premiership or upper Championship one.

I'm sure I wasn't the only St Mirren fan to look at the move and think, if given the right position and directions, the change of club might see him become a decent addition. Not a replacement for outgoing players, but certainly not a bad addition to the squad.

It seems, however, either through his own mistakes or through Davidson's use of him, it's all gone a bit Pete Tong.

11 hours ago, saint in exile said:

That's what makes the timing of  availability of funds quite frankly baffling.Why make them available now when there's way less options than there was last summer when we needed to strengthen Smacks of reactive desperation rather than  proactive signings when we were flying high.Sickening really.

It's not baffling really. Brown effectively gambled that by not strengthening in the summer and only loosing 2 players wouldn't have had quite the negative impact that it has. 

Edited by Theyellowbox