Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Nicolson is generally a good writer and worth reading but think his take on where we are totally lacks nuance tbh and it’s pretty disappointing. It would be good to read a dispassionate and articulate in-depth piece on where it’s going wrong and the different elements of who is to blame and to what extent but sadly he just seems to want to blame everyone except the manager. No ill will as it’s just his opinion and it differs from mine but it’s a shame as there are v few journos that do Saints analysis!

Certainly willing to listen to different arguments but I don’t see how this clusterfuck of a season isn’t mostly down to mismanagement in multiple areas from CD. Still not #DavidsonOut but he needs a big January or the pressure will be massive. I think Brown might be more ruthless than people expect him to be too..

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Matty Smith isn't the "hottest property in Ireland" at all.

Sorry i should have put in "one off the hottest property's " my Bad!

Every team in the Irish League has apparently offered him a contract to play for them! is that not considered to being wanted? Also  two Scottish Premiership clubs sniffing around and few Championship clubs from up here as well. turned down Wigan apparently when Sheridan left to take charge during the administration time . 

All from a ex Saint as well. Amazing who you meet in the pub mate you should try it!

30 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Thought Nicholson's brief judgement on Davidson - he's is a 'young manager learning on the job' was tone-deaf. That's 18 months Callum's been in charge. His coaching experience at the club stretches back to 2013, with stints at two English Championship clubs and the Scotland national team. McPake at Dundee has been coaching since, what, 2018? Davidson's easily got longer and more extensive coaching experience than Goodwin or Martindale.

Yeah, spot on. Said pretty much a bit of that myself in response to Nicholson. I can't imagine the fury that'd be going on within our support if we were on as bad a run as you were (we're not far off tbf) but hadn't changed anything tactically at all.

3 hours ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Instead of pointing and laughing at others’ posts, put  some suggestions forward, that you know we can get, and are available, and will improve our team 

Who am I "pointing and laughing" at?

On Greg Stewart I've been vocal for a long time that our squad is far too old and we need to balance. I see very little value in spending mega money on someone about to turn 32 with that in mind.

30 minutes ago, Center half said:

Sorry i should have put in "one off the hottest property's " my Bad!

Every team in the Irish League has apparently offered him a contract to play for them! is that not considered to being wanted? Also  two Scottish Premiership clubs sniffing around and few Championship clubs from up here as well. turned down Wigan apparently when Sheridan left to take charge during the administration time . 

All from a ex Saint as well. Amazing who you meet in the pub mate you should try it!

I was just being an arse tbh. 

We are still only two points behind— one win. How the teams above must be kicking themselves in allowing this to be as we’ve been stinking all season.
Let’s get the new signings and let them look out we are coming after them. Let’s be positive.
COYS

Nicolson isn't worth arguing with, he's picked his hill and won't move.

It's fairly clear the manager has fed him stories about how hard he had it this Summer (allowed to spend a transfer fee, hand out multi-year contracts, and given a HOR to do all the grafting for him), and that's enough for him to stand behind him.

Let's just hope we have a good window and it all works out.

Eric says that Davidson didn’t want Cammy McPherson as an Ali McCann replacement… I post quotes from Callum Davidson which prove that Davidson wanted Cammy McPherson as an Ali McCann replacement and it therefore wasn’t a panic buy as Eric suggested… Eric totally ignores the quotes and simply states that it can’t be described as a buy because it was actually a loan… I respond by reminding him of the quotes which I posted which proved his initial point to be factually incorrect… He responds by totally ignoring them and focusing on something completely different again. Ad infinitum. He would make a great politician.

23 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Eric says that Davidson didn’t want Cammy McPherson as an Ali McCann replacement… I post quotes from Callum Davidson which prove that Davidson wanted Cammy McPherson as an Ali McCann replacement and it therefore wasn’t a panic buy as Eric suggested… Eric totally ignores the quotes and simply states that it can’t be described as a buy because it was actually a loan… I respond by reminding him of the quotes which I posted which proved his initial point to be factually incorrect… He responds by totally ignoring them and focusing on something completely different again. Ad infinitum. He would make a great politician.

Correct. 

The bare faced cheek of this given his staunch defence of Davidson this afternoon and over the last couple of months. 

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Yeah, spot on. Said pretty much a bit of that myself in response to Nicholson. I can't imagine the fury that'd be going on within our support if we were on as bad a run as you were (we're not far off tbf) but hadn't changed anything tactically at all.

His response kinda highlighted that all Davidson has done so far this season is move about deckchairs on a sinking ship. 

11 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

His response kinda highlighted that all Davidson has done so far this season is move about deckchairs on a sinking ship. 

And also ignored that the ship has been sinking for 12 months.

11 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

That is literally what he has done. That and phoned his mate Gary to recommend him signings. 

That is literally what he has done. That and phoned his mate Gary to recommend him signings. 

See, phoning other managers or coaches you’ve worked with for their recommendations or ideas doesn’t bother me. It happens quite often from reading interviews.

What will concern me is if Davidson and our HOR both have completely different opinions and suggestions on signings and we end up with deadline day panic signings again.

Without intending to insult a club legend, I've always been slightly confused by the ongoing narrative that Callum Davidson is an especially 'intelligent' man. Is this actually the case? This is a genuine question as I have no idea about his strongest areas of intelligence. If I were to base it solely on media interviews, I'd say that he is certainly amongst the least intelligent managers in the league. The man can barely string a sentence together. The most-used words in his vocabulary are 'eh' and 'probably'. That aside, he doesn't seem to possess much tactical intelligence from what I've seen. Is he some sort of mastermind in other respects maybe?

9 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Without intending to insult a club legend, I've always been slightly confused by the ongoing narrative that Callum Davidson is an especially 'intelligent' man. Is this actually the case? This is a genuine question as I have no idea about his strongest areas of intelligence. If I were to base it solely on media interviews, I'd say that he is certainly amongst the least intelligent managers in the league. The man can barely string a sentence together. The most-used words in his vocabulary are 'eh' and 'probably'. That aside, he doesn't seem to possess much tactical intelligence from what I've seen. Is he some sort of mastermind in other respects maybe?

Inside Callum Davidsons head there's just a tiny Gary Rowett running about pressing buttons.

9 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

He's certainly not intelligent when it comes to financial investments.

11 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Now now wee man, we all know it takes more than linguistics to form an I.Q.

3 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

Is Davidson even a club legend? He departed for big bucks but it always irks me a bit.

A club legend in terms of managerial achievements (despite the fact that the jury’s still out in regards to whether he’s actually a competent manager). It’s a strange one, no doubt.

A club legend in terms of managerial achievements (despite the fact that the jury’s still out in regards to whether he’s actually a competent manager). It’s a strange one, no doubt.
Sorry I should have clarified, he was referred to as a club legend prior to the Glorious Double from a playing perspective. That irked me.