Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Thing is, punt Muller, Crawford, MacPherson and lose Viv, there’s more than enough to bring 3/4 in plus throw an extra bit at another couple. The issue is Davidson won’t want to admit he’s wrong by punting them. I suspect Brown is being reasonable in this up coming window, but Davidson needs to make strong decisions on players who’re quite clearly not up to it, and I’m not convinced he’s the man to do it. 

2 hours ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Were we not already 2-0 down and it lasted about 6 minutes? Surely asking players to play a competent  back 4 isn’t that much of an ask?  

Was talking with my Callum Davidson head on. If he’s still scarred from a game away to Livingston 9 games into his tenure, then you can bet last week will play on his mind

2 hours ago, Widge said:

Thing is, punt Muller, Crawford, MacPherson and lose Viv, there’s more than enough to bring 3/4 in plus throw an extra bit at another couple. The issue is Davidson won’t want to admit he’s wrong by punting them. I suspect Brown is being reasonable in this up coming window, but Davidson needs to make strong decisions on players who’re quite clearly not up to it, and I’m not convinced he’s the man to do it. 

We'll know for sure after the Jan. transfer window.Its make or break time

3 hours ago, Widge said:

I think Steve Brown gets a bad rap full stop tbh. I don't think he's ever failed to support a manager financially. Tommy Wright moaned like f**k but ultimately was consistently allowed to hand out huge deals to players. Scougall, Swanson, MOH and May all apparently on mega wages at differing points under him as starters.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few players in our current squad are on more than you'd think, while some money will be tied up on stuff like Booth getting a 3 year deal ( 😂 )

Regarding new players hopefully being signed in January, I’d also recall a number of our players out on loan.  Being mostly on the bench might hinder their development a bit for 5 months, but everything at the club should be targeted at staying up.

The more options we’ve got, the better, and with losing players for 10 days due to covid being a potential issue, extra players might be useful.  Hendry, Robertson, Ferguson, Ballantyne, bring them all home.

Also hope we make an attempt at bringing in Matt Kennedy on loan, as was mentioned before on here.

5 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

The more options we’ve got, the better, and with losing players for 10 days due to covid being a potential issue, extra players might be useful.  Hendry, Robertson, Ferguson, Ballantyne, bring them all home.

Also hope we make an attempt at bringing in Matt Kennedy on loan, as was mentioned before on here.

John Robertson isn't on loan, he left us permanently this Summer and signed for Edinburgh City. Seems to have been a good thing for him tbh as he seems to be thriving there whereas loans at that level never stuck for him.

On the others I don't know. You sometimes write players off a bit because they don't play much on loan, then you remember they're 19, in a shite side, and the manager there wants to trust older players. I don't think Ferguson has many squads on loan, never mind played, but I've not checked for a while tbh. 

I think it would be worth bringing Ballantyne back and giving him a go. He's always contributed attacking wise and someone on here mentioned before that Petrie is turning him into a more box-to-box player. I've not seen him this season but if he's playing that way then he's surely a better shout than Crawford? Manager clearly rates Gilmour so I'd say he's 100% coming back in.

Kennedy is a weird one. Clearly class and would fit in perfectly, but seemingly has a recurring back injury now. Horrible feeling he'd be our big loan signing to save us then he'd spend the next 6 months injured with the odd game chucked in.

59 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kennedy is a weird one. Clearly class and would fit in perfectly, but seemingly has a recurring back injury now. Horrible feeling he'd be our big loan signing to save us then he'd spend the next 6 months injured with the odd game chucked in.

Returned to training at the beginning of December apparently.

He was desperate to sign for us in August, but Aberdeen pulled the plug on the deal. 

It has been suggested that if McGrath ends up at Aberdeen, then Kennedy could be used as a makeweight. I wouldn't touch him with a bargepole at his current level of fitness. 

10 hours ago, FTOF said:

Returned to training at the beginning of December apparently.

Seems like its bothered him for a long time though?

I'm wary of him heading to us. Could fully see us loaning him on big money and then still get relegated while watching him play a handful of games because he keeps getting injured. St Mirren in a better place to take that risk maybe.

January is such a shit window. We'll have to spend money to get players in as otherwise you're not getting anyone decent, and if it still doesn't work out you're maybe then tied to them.